in the kitchen with: lara ferroni’s monte cristo with fried eggs

Over the years, it seems like every other week a new study comes out about the nutritional values of the eggs.  Sometimes the yolk is the bad guy, sometimes the whites.  I stopped trying to keep up with science when I had twelve eggs in one week and my cholesterol level went down.  I really love eggs and love the stares I get when I order thirty at a time from the farm where we buy our food.  It is one staple that is always in the refrigerator for any contingency– cakes, frittatas, fried eggs, whatever.  Quick and easy.  This week, food writer and photographer Lara Ferroni gives us yet another idea for the wonderful egg, a Monte Cristo sandwich with fried eggs, goat cheese, and preserves, from her new book Put an Egg on It.  I hope you love the look of this as much as I do! –Kristina

About Lara: Lara Ferroni is a food writer, photographer and egg fanatic who lives in Portland, Oregon. She is also the author (and photographer) of Doughnuts and Real Snacks, and regularly shoots for Imbibe Magazine and Visit her blog,  Her new book, Put an Egg on It  is a book all about eggs!  See her other recipes which have appeared on the In the Kitchen With column for black sesame and vanilla ice cream, chocolate coconut caramel cookies (homemade girl scout cookies), and ginger recipes.

See Lara’s spectacular sandwich after the jump!

Monte Cristo with Fried Eggs, Goat Cheese, and Preserves

Makes 1 sandwich

• 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons apricot or other preserves, plus more for serving
  • 2 slices rustic country bread
  • 1 slice ham or prosciutto
  • 2 tablespoons goat cheese
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • pinch of ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • Confectioners’ sugar, for sprinkling

1.  Start by frying on of the eggs over easy, being careful not to overcook it.
2.  Spread 1 teaspoon of preserves on each slice of bread.  Top one slice with the ham and then the fried egg, and spread the goat cheese on the other, then place the clice, cheese side down, very gently atop the egg.  Wrap the sandwich in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour (and up to overnight).
3.  In a shallow bowl, whisk together the remaining egg, milk, and cinnamon.  Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat.  Carefully dip each side of the sandwich into the batter and fry for about 2 minutes on each side to caramelize the bread.
4.  Sprinkle the sandwich with confectioners’ sugar and serve to your weirdest food eating friends with a little extra preserves on the side.

(All photography by Lara Ferroni)

Why Lara loves this recipe

French toast and ham together in one sandwich can only be made better by a fried egg! The result is sweet, savory, and creamy all at the same time. Rather than deep-frying, as is often done with the Monte Cristo, I prefer pan-frying in butter to get really nice caramelization on the bread. Here, I’ve swapped in prosciutto in place of the ham, for an even more luxurious sandwich.

1. Karen says:

This looks delicious! Any thoughts for a good vegetarian substitute for those of us who don’t eat ham?

2. Lara Ferroni says:

Hi Karen,

You could probably leave out the ham and sprinkle some smoked salt on the egg before wrapping it up. Or, maybe veggie bacon? Anything with a bit of salty/smokiness would be a good addition.

3. Alina says:

Wow! thank you very much for your informative post. I have try to make Monte Cristo with Fried Eggs, Goat Cheese, and Preserves today. It is very very nice.

4. Amanda says:

Eggs are the only food I could not live without. Since I was a teenager I have eaten at least a few for breakfast and they often feature in my other meals as well because I don’t eat a lot of meat. I have healthy cholesterol too. God bless chickens!

5. Mara says:

Every time I see as recipe with a runny egg, it looks amazing but I know I’ll never get to try it because, gross.
    Conceptually I think it’s great, but my mouth and especially my throat refuse every time.

6. Chloe C says:

I know this is delicious.

7. Sage says:

For a meatless version I would swap the ham for tomato slices and substitute pesto for the apricot preserves. Fried egg, tomato, goat cheese and pesto – yum!

8. thefolia says:

I love eggs too especially from happy healthy non corn and soy eating hens!

9. Christine says:

Re: cholesterol and eggs. The reason the cholesterol goes down when eating eggs is because of the lecithin in the yolk. Lecithin emulsifies the fat in the bloodstream, so it doesn’t clog your arteries. You never hear about that aspect, only the cholesterol, not the emulsifier. This is a very healthy and necessary type of fat for a healthy diet. Eggs are a perfect food and perfectly delicious. Put an egg on it is right. And so is god bless chickens!

10. my sister has been pestering me to get chickens here in Italy and this is yet another delicious way to enjoy fresh eggs and a good reason to get chickens! we’re selling our home and buying another with more land so now there’s no excuse! yum, fresh eggs.

11. christine mason says:

My ‘weirdest food eating friends’ are going to love this!

12. Renae says:

This would be awesome with Vegemite instead of preserves. (Possibly only for Australians though) x

13. WOW, this looks absolutely fantastic!
    thanks for sharing :)

Molly {Dreams in HD}

14. Robin says:

My husband loves fried egg sandwiches so I was interested in this. He can’t tolerate greasy foods anymore though so my little trick if anyone cares … is that I put parchment paper on a paper plate and fold over the edges to form a box. i crack two eggs and then microwave them for a bout a minute and a half( this cooks them to a firm consistency, but you can obviously do it less time if you prefer them soft or runny. Anyway- no greasy pan to clean up !

15. Kristina says:

@Robin – thanks for that tip! That sounds like a great thing to try and I will pass that on to a few people I know with similar dietary needs

16. Steph says: