Flower Glossary: Ranunculus

designsponge_ranunculus
I often find myself daydreaming when I’m buying flowers. I dream about running my own flower shop, selling flowers out of our office or just running away to work as some fantastic floral designer’s assistant. I love my job, but man, do I love working with flowers. Sarah Brysk Cohen of Blossom & Branch did us such a huge service by authoring the Flowers A to Z column here at D*S for years. From Anemones to Zantedeschia (Calla Lily), Sarah gave us an in-depth look at specific flowers and ideas for using them in arrangements.

I love in-depth looks at just about anything, but sometimes it’s nice to get a few key facts, almost like a cheat sheet. So Max and I decided to start photographing some of the flowers we see most often in the arrangements that are popular with the online communities these days. I’m fascinated by the way certain types of flowers go in and out of vogue, so this column will aim to give you quick information on the flowers you see in posts around the web and at weddings and parties. Hopefully you’ll walk away or Pin something for later so you have the information you need to request flowers for anything. You’ll get the name, the pronunciation, the season and a few extra tips about growing and displaying. Here’s to everyone having great floral knowledge in their tool belt- and knowing their ranunculus from their rhododendrons.

Additional Information about the Ranunculus:

• Full Name: R. asiaticus
  • Growing details: A ranunculus prefers to grow in climates where winters are mild and springs are cool. For growing details pertaining to your specific geographic region, see this page.
  • Size: Flowers grow in 12-18 inch stems
  • Cost: Bulbs are more cost effective than cut stems, if you have the option to grow them at home. Expect bulbs to be around $0.25 – $1.00, depending on the variety. Cut flowers can range from $2- $8 per stem, depending on variety.
  1. I just ordered white and red for my garden from Longfield Gardens http://www.longfield-gardens.com/Ranunculus

2. Cathy says:

If you haven’t read it, I recommend the novel “The Language of Flowers” by Vanessa Diffenbaugh—it’s a good story centered around the victorian symbolism of flowers.

3. Caroline says:

Ranunculus are one of my favorites! Thanks for highlighting this gorgeous flower.

4. Brimful says:

Oh Grace, you wrote this post just for me, didn’t you (wink)? Ranunculus are my absolute favorite kind of flower…no matter the shade or size! They just make me so happy!!

5. Jane Y. says:

what a great idea to do. my absolute favorites are peonies but i love finding ranunculus at trader joe’s and bringing them home. i never knew the meaning of this flower. the meaning is just as cute as the flower.

6. Katie says:

I love this post! These flowers are gorgeous, and I live in the right climate to grow them. Thanks for sharing!

7. Katie says:

Love these, managed to grow some this year but somehow the cut ones are so much more inviting from the florist. Off to look up when to plant them in Scotland.

8. I love ranunculus! They are my favorite, I had loads yellow ones at my wedding. I have never had much luck planting them, but hope I can get some to grow in the Spring.

9. hannah says:

We had a ton of ranunculus at my wedding (http://www.thehomesteady.com/my-blog/2013/06/the-best-day-ever-our-wedding-photos.html). It’s by far the prettiest flower!!

10. Susan L. says:

Like this feature! Great especially to have the pronunciation. Thank you!

11. Marnie says:

I don’t know if this is your first post about growing flowers, but I absolutely love the idea. I wonder if these would grow well even if I am in Montreal, Quebec province, Canada. Hopefully they would just bloom later, it’s quite tempting to try it out! Maybe in a couple of years, who knows.
    Anyways, thanks for sharing!

12. Sheila says:

I love ranunculus! I spotted this gorgeous mural of a Nic Miller photograph and ordered the same one from Surface View for my own bedroom. It fills the whole wall behind my bed – it’s like curling up to sleep inside a flower!

Beautiful, beautiful flowers!

13. Jacob says:

OMG!! What a stunning flowers and I am quite impressed to see this flower story….