DIY Gold + Acrylic Clipboards

DIY Gold + Acrylic Clipboards 1
My husband and I recently moved from a 600 square foot condo in DC to a 3-bedroom house in Nashville. In our old place, all of my DIYing happened exclusively in the middle of our living room floor, so while I think I’ll always have a place in my heart for small-space living, I’m certainly enjoying the luxury of having space for my own office. When planning the space, I knew that I wanted a minimalist but attractive way to keep to-do lists, calendars, ideas, and inspiration in plain sight. Thus, the idea of these gold and acrylic clipboards was born. Making your own seriously could not be any easier, and I can only imagine all the ways that these can be customized with different paint colors and backing board materials. -Mandy Pellegrin

DIY Gold + Acrylic Clipboards 3

The full how-to continues after the jump!

DIY Gold + Acrylic Clipboards - Materials
MATERIALS:
cut acrylic*
extra large binder clips
gold spray paint
screw hooks

*For the cut acrylic, I used an online vendor to have 8 pieces of 1/2″ thick acrylic custom cut to 9″ x 12″ for about five bucks a piece. With shipping costs (which can run high), all eight of my pieces ran me just under $70. However, all the big box hardware stores sell thinner, pre-cut 8″ x 10″ pieces for under three bucks each.

Directions:

1. Spray paint the binder clips gold.

DIY Gold + Acrylic Clipboards - Step 1

2. Install evenly-spaced screw hooks in your wall.

DIY Gold + Acrylic Clipboards - Step 2

3. Place the clips onto the center top of the acrylic sheets and hang.

DIY Gold + Acrylic Clipboards 2
DIY Gold + Acrylic Clipboards 4

1. sarah says:

lovely! are there special binder clips that won’t crease the paper or prints?

2. nancy says:

i love it! going to try this in my home office.

3. Kristen says:

These are fantastic! I would love to do something similar for my new office / DIY space. Staples does sell extra large gold binder clips, so you could skip the spray painting process if you want!

4. Adrienne says:

Do you have a link to the acrylic vendor you ordered from? Thanks.

5. Jessica S. says:

She did a nice job! (Never, in a million years, would I imagine that I could ever be intrigued by spray-painted butterfly clips. I suppose this just goes to show that a little creativity really can transform the mundane!)

6. Monika says:

Looks great!! So easy and so pretty!!

7. Sarah says:

Love the acrylic. Can everything be made of acrylic and gold please? I painted a vintage clipboard with gold a couple years ago: http://www.smallvictory.us/everything/2011/10/26/put-gold-on-everything-right-now.html
    Thanks for keeping the gold moment going Design Sponge!

8. Heather P. says:

I like it! I wanted something easy to do so I can show off my printed iPhone photos from the past year, and this would be perfect – I can swap them out for new photos whenever I want!

9. Maggie says:

Love the gold against the white wall!

10. Sarah says:

Where is the “NON, je ne regrette rien” print from? Merci!

11. Gillianne says:

This post sent me hunting for my Rub’n Buff in gold leaf and antique gold for other gold-ifying projects. (Too cold here now for spray point outdoors.) As the days darken, acrylic and gold just seem especially appealing, don’t they?

12. Amanda says:

Love this diy! Really good idea. And love it with the gold and white.

13. Love this idea! I’ve been meaning to come up with a gorgeous method to display inspirational items, like a pin board but a thousand times better :)

14. Kirstin says:

she has really great handwriting, wow

15. What an awesome idea!! I love lucite. I wonder if I could find this in color?

hammerandheels.blogspot.com

16. Janet says:

I wondered about using other materials for the backing boards rather than acrylic. The acrylic looks good but even painted or coloured sheets of card or thin sheets of painted wood would be cheaper. You could even leave off the backing boards altogether and just have funky clips in different colours, or sliver, which I prefer to gold.
    Great idea.

17. Attractive, organized and visual what’s not to like : ) Nice job! Like the various suggestions many are adding.

18. Limezinnias says:

Love, love, love this post and the idea. Very pretty

19. Chandra says:

@Sarah: Here is a link for the “NON, je ne regrette rien” print. :)

20. Es fantástico. Love this post :)

21. gina says:

Where could I find those great scissors in the last photo?

22. Nicole says:

Great and easy idea! :-) Might try that, thank you!

23. Jasmin says:

Hi, I love this so much! I was wondering if you could provide a link to the company who cut the acrylic? Also, I went to Lowes and saw the cut acrylic there but it looked like the sides might slice your fingers. Just wondering if yours are cut to be smooth on the edges, as though they came that way from a store

24. Fi says:

Jasmin, you can sand acrylic with wet and dry sandpaper (fairly fine) and then polish it with Brasso (australian product) just be careful not to sand the flat side of the acrylic because you will never get those scratches out