Before & After: Sherry’s Dining Room

b_dining
Today’s before & after comes from Sherry Quam Taylor. Her home was built in 1903 and after demolishing and gutting the entire first floor, she and her husband felt like they finally had a space that felt like their own. In addition to new Tudor archways and crown moulding, Sherry and her husband made over their dining room from top to bottom, including new wallpaper from Osbourne & Little, dark chocolate floors and important family mementos like a vintage mirror that belonged to Sherry’s grandparents. I love the way they updated this space and am so thrilled she shared it with us today. Thanks, Sherry!

a_dining

a_dining 2
mirror detail
a_hall

1. Joanna says:

So pretty! Now I want to see the rest of the house!

2. Candi says:

Love the way the wall paper and mirror go together…very nice! Beautifully done.

3. Kristin S says:

So beautiful! The colors are wonderful and vibrant and yet there’s such serenity and cohesiveness to the spaces. I noticed perhaps it might be because of the curves found in the structure and the furniture. Just gorgeous.

4. Jesse says:

Beautiful! I love how modern it is, but not sterile. Very clean, colorful, and cozy!

5. Amy says:

Love your home Sherry….I’ve always known you were a great designer….yep, it’s Amy.

6. Emily says:

Can we get a source for that wallpaper? I love it!

7. Dana says:

Modern and chic and cozy all at the same time.

8. Amber says:

What an amazing and beautiful transformation!

9. I love the added wall. It provides definition and interest without closing off the space.

10. Robyn says:

Lovely. Can we also get a source for the wall paint color/brand? I’m looking for ideas.

11. Amy says:

WOW! What an improvement! I love how retro this room is.

Amy

12. Katy says:

And the chairs! I need to know where those dining chairs are from, the perfect color. Amazing space!

13. Josh Trenser says:

Wow, what a transformation!!!

14. A says:

OMG. The “before” made my eyes bleed.

The after encourages breathing again. Gorgeous.

15. rebecca mebane says:

Those arches make such a huge difference in that space. Love the “after.”

16. Vanessa says:

Well the arch alone makes it feel like it is an important house. Everything else is icing on the cake. Way to go strong with the wallpaper. It’s fantastic.

17. Elizabeth W. says:

Wow! You really nailed it! Very lovely room!

18. EMMA says:

beautiful table lamp! where is it from please?
    also I really love how cozy the rooms are, amazing transformation!

19. Lisa says:

I could start to re-think wallpaper based on this room. Awesome.

20. Allyson says:

What a great transformation. Adding the arches to the space really helps to define specific rooms, but the height and openness really encourages one cohesive space. Love the wallpaper’s bold and bright colour and how Sherry used the mint green colour to tie the three spaces together, through the chairs, artwork and blanket laid on the chair. Just lovely.

21. Nancy D says:

I want to see more of this great design artist! What a very well done room.

22. Roxana says:

GORGEOUS! LOVE IT! (And the rest of the house :).

23. andrea says:

So absolutely charming! The wallpaper is wild, but great.

24. This is amazing. I agree with the rest – I want to see more of this house!

25. Olena says:

It appears that the ceiling tiles have been removed. Is it so? I love the new look. Before, the space had a “basement” look. After – a fresh and clean modern look. Great job!

26. Sherry Quam Taylor says:

Thanks for all the nice words! It was a fun project for our 1st home!
    Wallpaper: Osbourne & Little
    Paint: Every surface in this photo is Home Depot Brand (Pure White). I promise. The different sheens give it an amazing light grey look depending on the white.
    lamp: Crate & Barrel
    Yes…we removed the entire ceiling (tiles) and gained 12″ of height in each room. More rooms to come! (I hope!)

27. Rachel says:

Sherry, mind sharing where the chairs are from??? I’ve been looking for some with the same shape! But don’t have a ton of time to get out and shop as a stay at home mom! Tha ks in advance.

28. Marty says:

The use of the mirror along with the paint colors and lighting really open up the space. The peak in your separating walls is a nice touch . Well done overall.

29. Tonya says:

Love what I see and would love to see more of this home. I truly love how you added the character back to the home.

30. Kristen says:

More! More!

31. Sherry Quam Taylor says:

Hi Rachel – http://www.dwr.com/product/eames-molded-plastic-armchair-dar.do?sortby=ourPicks

Here is the link…you can probably get them cheaper somewhere…but I knew DWR had them. Good luck!

32. thelady says:

love that you added character back to the house. The tudor arches are beautiful.

33. Trent says:

Wow, that is stunning! What a transformation, and the use of colour is fantastic. Great choice in dining chairs, but I can’t help but feel the chairs and dining room have been cheated of an equally stunning table. That one looks a little student work desk generic for such an beautiful room!