Sailing Ship Kite

My dear friend and co-worker Amy Azzarito has been hunting down a hanging ship for as long as I’ve known her. Each year we trek to Brimfield and I find her gently pushing aside boxes and frames looking for a hidden sailboat figure she can hang from her ceiling. I can’t remember the original inspiration for the project, but I think it’s such a beautiful idea and it feels quintessentially ‘Amy’ to have something so beautiful and whimsical drifting overhead. We were in Catbird the other day when we saw this incredible sailing ship kite from Haptic Lab and it seemed like it might be the perfect fit. Then I saw it in person again at the Brooklyn Flea on Sunday and was blown away seeing it in action and up close in detail. Each handmade kite is a certified Fair Trade product, made in collaboration with Balinese artisans exclusively for Haptic Lab from locally-sourced bamboo and nylon. They definitely fly (they’re not just to display, although you certainly can) and each kit comes with a kite handle, flying line and easy assembly instructions to get you up and flying in no time. I’m completely smitten with the indigo version of the kite, but all three colors (white, green and indigo) are beautiful. Click here to check them out in more detail and order online ($40 each)- they’d be so sweet in a child’s room that had an ocean or sailing theme and of course they’d be right at home in an adult’s home as well. xo, grace

1. These are beautiful! I wonder how hard they are to put together?

2. wouldn’t this be an affordable way to add some structural sophistication to a nursery? beautiful creations.

3. HK says:

These are so magical! I’m in love.

4. Wendy says:

I bought one of these as a gift for my husband and we’ve flown it on the beach of Lake Michigan twice this summer. It’s AWESOME and is easy to put together and take apart–I highly highly recommend!

5. Linn says:

This search for a hanging ship sounds eerily familiar. Growing up, we had the most beautiful boat replica on the fireplace mantel and it was my favorite piece. This kite is gorgeous with more of a focus on fabric than other models I’ve seen (duh, it’s a kite!) I agree, perfect in a kids room OR in an adult’s room.

6. patricia says:

ann wood makes amazing ships, and lots of other beautiful objects.
    her shop:

some examples:

7. The kites are really easy to put together! We’ve got one hanging in our Catbird office with black ribbons hanging from the mast – pure magic.

8. june says:

these are so beautiful….cant believe they can really fly!

9. They sell them in Bali indonesia all over the beach! Super cheap as well… of course you have to get to Bali, not so cheap.

10. Miss Heliotrope says:

First saw these in Sibella Court’s first book. & as she’s Australian, Bail is a lot closer & easier –

11. Jennifer v says:

I’ve been craving this since I saw it on Catbird months ago. It’s official, I must have it.

12. Elmer Cruz says:

This is a wonderful post! I am so happy to read this.