A New Jersey Home Restored to its Craftsman Glory

Rachel and Tyler Grace bought their 1920s style bungalow in Haddon Heights, NJ back in December 2010 when it was in need of some serious TLC. But the interior designer/carpenter couple the two saw the potential and history it possessed and chose to restore it to its former Craftsman glory. (Rachel spent the last year working with Caitlin Wilson Textiles before turning freelance, and Tyler has his own residential remodeling business, TRG Home Concepts.) With that in mind they chose to decorate minimally to highlight the home’s original and new architectural details and mouldings. Their next project is renovating the kitchen, but that will have to wait until after their baby arrives. Many thanks to Rachel and to Courtney Apple for the wonderful photos! –Anne

Image above: Walls are Martha Stewart spring melt with Benjamin Moore decorator’s white trim and wainscoting paint, a Uo zigzag duvet cover and shams, Ikea Vinstra bed, vintage milk glass lamp and Home Depot wales mirror.

Image above: With 2 large dogs and an infant on the way we were delighted to find a stylish indoor/outdoor area rug at Avalon Carpet Tile and Flooring. It cleans like a charm! Vintage Lane coffee table, and pillow covers are Caitlin Wilson Textiles: Mustard Signature, British Bouquet, Charcoal City Maze and Peacock Scallop.

Click for more inside Rachel and Tyler’s home after the jump!

Image above: We trimmed out our giant red brick fireplace in a Craftsman style with flanking poplar bookshelves for a dramatic transformation. The chairs were found at a garage sale in upstate NY and painted and reupholstered in Caitlin Wilson’s Charcoal City Maze. Finally we Ikea hacked the Grundtal Mirror with rope and eye hooks from The Home Depot.

Image above: My parents bought this brass bambootiful tea cart in the 1970s, we’re so fortunate that they held onto it!

Image above: By creating a built-in desk we forced our small home to have an office space: Benjamin Moore decorator’s white door and trim paint, Benjamin Moore creamy beige wall paint, bisley 3-drawer file cabinetschlage polished chrome georgian door knob, Ikea tobias chair and barometer work lamp (wall mounted).

Image above:  We created  wall paneling in our master bedroom for some subtle architectural interest. We used Martha Stewart pebble wall paint, Urban Outfitters monogram pillowcases, frumafar gray arrow print headboard fabric, and vintage baker furniture night table.

Image above: We replaced hollow core doors with classic five-panel doors to match the couple original doors our home had to offer. Details: Martha Stewart spring melt wall paint, Benjamin Moore decorator’s white door, trim and wainscoting paint, Anthropologie acara switchplate, Uo zigzag duvet cover, and Schlage polished chrome georgian door knobs.

Image above: We chose to introduce at least one type of moulding in each room in our home. In our guest room we went with wainscoting! The walls are in Martha Stewart’s Spring Melt and the wainscoting and trim is in Benjamin Moore’s Decorator’s White.

Image above: Gold Mur Small Triangles pop against our Zinc painted hallway walls!

Image above: The rug was our first nursery purchase and set the tone for the varied color scheme we went with, although it’s Tyler’s coffered ceiling that really makes the space. We hope the baby loves it as much as we do! The Leonard – Black Resin Moose Head is from White Faux Taxidermy, Rock With Ewe Sheep Rocker from The Land of Nod, Authentic Models Royal Aero in True Yellow, Rugs USA Fergana Drip Chevron Multi Rug, Kalon Studios Caravan Crib in black, Ikea Ribba picture ledges in white, and wall color is Benjamin Moore Creamy Beige.

Image above: You can never have too much bathroom storage, Tyler created this built-in wall cabinet in a day! Walls are Benjamin Moore Gossamer Blue.

Image above: In the bathroom: Nate Berkus cream tortoise shell, birch wood in ginger custom vanity, Allen + Roth vanity top, Pottery Barn mercer single sconce, Benjamin Moore gossamer blue wall paint, and Benjamin Moore decorator’s white trim paint.

Image above: We chose to make our garage feel like more of a carriage house. Tyler built the doors and we painted them in Benjamin Moore’s Kendall Charcoal.

Image above: I  grew up lounging on our front porch furniture at my grandmother’s house. With a coat of black spray paint and a quick reupholstery job we were able to give it a modern makeover!

Image above: Since I was a little girl I’ve dreamed of having a front door in Benjamin Moore’s Whythe Blue. We found an affordable unfinished craftsman solid pine door and painted it in my dream color! The mailbox is stainless steel.

1. So cute! Love that Danish modern coffee table, we had the same one growing up!

2. Lisa says:

Oh! Oh! I want to pin…. EVERYTHING. Pin all the things!! Do you ever feel like you just are meant to live somewhere? This is it. I love it! Awesome job, guys! (More exclamation points just for good measure – !!!!)

3. Emily says:

What color is the living room? I’m looking for bright neutrals for my victorian home with dark wood trim.

4. kristin says:

I love this house!

5. Heather P. says:

Such a bright, beautiful house! I really like that they tried out new architectural details in each room – a great way to play around the house.

6. Erin @ SYL says:

They’re also the nicest (and most fun) people ever!

7. Meg says:

I love their living room rug. Whats it called? The company’s website isn’t very easy to navigate.

8. Love all the pattern and pops of color! Really good choice to leave the decorating minimal. The house is personalized to their taste without losing sight of the structure’s details.

9. Melanie says:

Rachel and Tyler did such an amazing job on their home. I saw it before the transformation and you would not even recognize it as the same house. As a designer/contractor pair, they are so talented (and kind)!

10. Katrina says:

I am completely in love with this. What a beautiful home (and family!).

11. Summer says:

Wow! All of these images are just fresh and lovely, I am loving the funky rug choices too.

12. Steven says:

From a Realtor that does a lot of work in the Area (I live in Haddon Township) I have been in thousands of homes over the years. Your home is BEAUTIFUL!! I can appreciate everything you have done. Congrats on the Reno coming out so Amazing!! I hope our Bungalow looks like yours one day…

13. Maiken Day says:

This looks like such a peaceful place to live! I sent my brother and sister in law an email with a link to this home to inspire them. They are renovating a bungalow in FL that was in terrible condition when they bought it – water damage, wall to wall seventies carpeting, and the worst part: it was a duplex.

14. Helen says:

Where is the yellow hot air balloon hanging above the crib from?

15. Bailey S. says:

The whole thing is delightful, but I must know one thing: WHERE did you get that doorbell?

16. Maggie says:

This is such a beautiful home, I love the color palette.

17. Leslie says:

Can I move in? Lovely.

18. Peter says:

Just beautifully and masterly done!

19. Allison says:

What a beautiful house! The colors are gorgeous throughout and it all flows so well together. Great attention to detail. I could easily move in and not want to change a thing! The garage is wonderful! Love those doors. I adore that stork on the porch!

20. Kate says:

I’m loving the color on the walls, and the door!

21. Kay says:

What’s the paint color for your exterior siding? Lovely combination.

22. Laura says:

Lovely colors – but a few well placed shell chairs does not a mid-century makeover make. Carriage Garage Doors are not midcentury, nor is wainscotting….?

23. Isabelle says:

I love Craftsmen houses. Sadly in my neighborhood they are being torn down and replaced with monster houses. One of my favorite features is the fireplace flanked by bookcases with the little windows above. Love that mailbox.

24. Shannon says:

I love the color of your shutters & stoop. Please reveal it!

25. Julie K. says:

Wow, I haven´t seen a house so well balanced in a long time! Colors, accessories, patterns — all that fits perfectly and creates a very harmonic space. I like the cool details like for example those ikea like cutlery holders used in office space, and also vintage pieces of furniture here and there are a nice touch..This house is just waiting for the family to grow.

26. Oh I love it so much, colors, pastels and geographics item and patterns… so seventies !
    Huge fan !

27. And. says:

“Restored”? Yeah, no. I mean, it’s cute and all, but the detail is lost in all that shiny whiteness.

28. Heather says:

I absolutely love the mix of old/new that you have created with such a beautiful, refreshing colour palette. It is great to see a remodel that incorporates older architectural details and still works with modern decor. Just because it’s a craftsman house doesn’t mean everything has to be traditional craftsman, the mash up adds so much charm. I could totally live in your house! Happy home and have fun with your new baby!

29. Beautiful home…so warm and happy. I love all that you have done & the calm, lovely colors you have chosen! Do you mind telling where you got your white bedside table & the awesome golden crane? :) Love it all!

30. Kim says:

Could you please share with me where you purchased the “TRUE LOVE” print that is in the bedroom? Thanks!

31. Tim Chisholm says:

The Wales Mirror is cool…I just installed one of these directly onto another mirror ( to spruce up a plain large bathroom vanity mirror, in the space above and between the two sinks) using a Command Strip hook.

32. Jennie says:

Where is the white bed side table from in the first photo?

33. Anita C. says:

I love that the homeowners kept the decorating simplistic as it really shows off all the detail work that was put into restoring this craftsman home. I imagine the new kitchen will look fantastic when completed as well!

34. Mary says:

What color is the siding and shutters? Love the combination with the door color!

1. Mary Clifford says:

What color are the shutters?

Mary Clifford

35. Mary Clifford says:

I did not find the name of the color of the shutters on the pin. Could you let me know the shutter color?