A Parisian Apartment with a Scandinavian Twist

After stints in big fashion houses, Valéry Damnon launched his own brand of fine leather goods in 2011. He focuses on the intrinsic value of item, bringing together his creativity and the highest quality craftsmanship. This approach is also reflected also in his decorative style. Valéry’s apartment is located in the bohemian chic Paris 10ème arrondissement, between Canal Saint Martin and the Haut Marais. His style is infused with Scandinavian touches, which are the result of roaming flea markets and ‘vide greniers’ to find rare and beautiful pieces from the 60s and 70s. His design concept is contemporary Parisian meets northern simplicity. Merci beaucoup, Valéry, and Carla Coulson for the lovely photos! –Anne

Image above:  Serge Mouille is my favorite light fixture designer. He remains famous primarily for his minimalistic designs and use of uniformly black painted metal materials. This double arm light fixture reproduction is very discrete but also very functional. I found the old table in the southwest of France and I mixed it with three Eames chairs and one Arne Jacobsen.

Image above: I like the Scandinavian designs idea that beautiful and functional everyday objects should be affordable for everyone. The mix of material and fabric is a guideline for my work, and inspired me for my living room: a pipistrello lamp by Gae Aulenti, a 60s pair of Danish chairs, cushions from Ferm Living and framed butterflies inspired by the iconic Maison Deyrolle form the perfect mix. The little touch of red is ensured by an oil paint reproduction of Kubrick’s movie ‘ Lolita,’ which was a gift from a friend.

Click for more inside Valéry’s Parisian apartment after the jump!

Image above: Three volumes of Phaidon Design Classics by Phaidon Editors, ‘Mutine’ clutch from my last collection, and small mythic design chair reproductions.

Image above: The light is by Jielde and fixed on old wood pulley, and placed on an industrial filing cabinet.

Image above: The chest of drawers – one from Institut Pasteur – was a lucky find at the Braderie de Lille. My love of details is reflected in my choice of decorative objects such as this red ‘cocotte’ lamp from the 50s.

Image above: Scandinavian Teck desk produced by G-plan.

Image above: Mace stool and ‘Délicieuse’ handbag.

Image above: I like to consider that the terrace is a ‘full’ room that I use everyday, for inviting friends for dinner, drawing or reading. I bought the porcelain vase in a small interior design shop on rue des Blancs Manteaux in the Marais.

Image above: I am fortunate to have a huge terrace, which goes around the apartment. The old grey-blue shutters and an Olivier tree make me feel as if I was in the south of France. I like to put down my ‘Voyageuse’ bag at the end of the day and then have a drink with a friend sitting down in the Acapulco chairs.

1. What a gorgeous terrace. Love all the Danish modern pieces.

2. Sally says:

That view! What an amazing place, adore all the lovely little details.

3. Katie says:

This house is just perfect, the style is spot on and works so well. I wish I could persuade my husband to like mid-century pieces, maybe this is the home that will convince him. Thanks for showing us your place.

4. Louise says:

Beautiful – and that terrace!

5. Stella says:

So inspiring atmosphere in this home.
    I loved the Scandinavia desk and the chest of drawers. Thanks for sharing this beauty :)

6. Love the nod to Yves Klein… oh, the blue! These are gorgeous spaces.

7. awesome space! I especially like the light on the wooden pulley.

8. Andrea says:

I just love this place. It has charm and whimsy. His handbags are magnifique as well.

9. firehorse jane says:

Lovely abode – so clean and comfy – with an thrilling view!

10. Josh Trenser says:

Wow, that apartment looks pretty cool!!!

11. Beautiful light mixed with exciting style vibe in my fav city!

12. Love the mix of Parisian chic and Danish classic modern. The lamp is the pick of the place.

13. Lauren says:

That terrace. Oh heavens. I don’t know what it is that Scandinavian design seems to work so well in Parisian apartments. Must be all that white. Beautifully shot, Carla, as always.

14. kcc says:

what are those colorful and intriguing books? i want them without knowing why!

15. christiana says:

What a gorgeous apartment. And that terrace – wow!

16. kristin s says:

Gasp! Forget the inside, that terrace!!! No really, I like that I have some of the same pieces of furniture. :)

17. Jen says:

Such a beautiful mixture of statement pieces and quality furniture! I love the muted color pallet done with such interesting arrangements.

18. That terrace is to die for!! What a gorgeous place to enjoy a glass of wine or a dinner with friends. x Katie

19. Caroline says:

Ok …I’m movin’ in…

Perfect.. Love everything. Greatest collectiom of light fittings I’ve seen for a long time. … And that voyageuse bag… OMG

20. Just gorgeous and thanks to Carla for introducing me to Design Sponge xx
    ciao lisa

21. Isabelle says:

Like the terrace. Love the Deliciouse handbag. Are they sold in Canada?

22. Gerda says:

Beautiful:Clean lines and no clutter and clever use of colour. My personal favorites are the kitchen and that wall hanger with the coloured balls. You have convinced me that my house, which I thought looks a bit bare and bland, is fine just as it is! Thank you.

23. nickastle says:

Awesome Images of Paris apartments. Perfect look and stylish designs. Thanks for sharing.

24. Bar says:

ok – and here’s a weird question. but what are the yellow flowers? vraies ou fausses? :-) merci

25. nita says:

Absolutely gorgeous with great personal style!