a modern textile-filled home in Los Angles

1sonja
There are more windows than wall space in Sonja Rasula and Jonathan Sager’s home in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Echo Park, which means, no matter where you find yourself standing, you have a view of the trees, the hillside and the sky. During the two years the couple have lived here (with their two dogs, Apollo and Aleister), they worked to fill the space with elements of color, lots of textiles (both new and vintage) as well as with items they’ve collected over their years together. Earlier this year, Sonja started CAMP, a creative business conference that takes place in a summer camp environment and next month she opens her BIG new project, an 18,000 sq ft building in LA’s Arts District called The Unique Space! She’s renovated a historic old factory building to essentially be a huge utopian workspace: it has private offices and studios for rent, there is 3000 sq ft of  co-work space to encourage creativity/innovation/socializing, and the building boasts a kitchen and communal dining area, a resource library, lounge, bar, conference room, rooftop terrace and in 2014, they’ll be adding a photo studio. (There’s even have a fleet of Linus bicycles for the co-work members to use!) Jon is equally as busy as an industrial designer/project manager who works for  The Guild. With all that activity outside the home, Sonja wanted to create a modern yet eclectic space that felt comfortable and relaxing. A big thank you to Laure Joliet for the lovely photographs! –Amy

Image above: We painted the room in Decorator’s White by BEHR. The white chest is from West Elm. I had the sofa custom-made here in Los Angeles by Rosa Beltran, a Los Angeles interior designer who can help anyone make beautiful locally-made furniture.

2sonja
Image above: Our bedroom is very simple, with white walls and just our bed and two nightstands. Because I love textiles so much, I rotate pillows and blankets every couple months so I get to use them all! That cat pillow was actually my parents from the ’70s and the colorful blanket is another antique find. The mid-century modern style nightstand is actually from West Elm, as is all the bedding (other then the vintage blanket).

1handwriting

See more of this Los Angeles home after the jump!

4sonja

5sonja
Image above: Our breakfast nook looks out onto the hills of Elysian Park. I had the pink chairs shipped out here from ABC Carpets, and the eco paint color on the walls is by Devine called “Macaw”.

6sonja
Image above: The kitchen was custom-built; I love the marble counter top, Jon loves the professional-grade oven! The Swedish plastic floormat is amazing because it’s very soft and durable, and can be put in the washing machine. (EVERYONE asks me where I bought it: at Plastica!)

7sonja
Image above: We love to listen to NPR on the weekends while cooking breakfast and lunch, so having a radio in the kitchen is crucial.

8sonja
Image above: Our dining nook is in a small space so I decided to wallpaper it to truly create a little cave-like area. It’s Cole & Sons wallpaper, the chandelier is by our friend Brendan Ravenhill, the table is West Elm and the Eames wire chairs are from Modernica.

9sonja
Image above: I am absolutely gaga over West Elm’s Gold Flatware and love to pair it with my grandmother’s antique knives. The dishware is made in California by the awesome potters Sadie & Emma.

10sonja

11sonja
Image above: The side table is new from West Elm and it has changed our lives! Now everything we need in the dining area is an arms-reach away from our booze and bar supplies to linens and napkins, plus we keep board games and playing cards in the drawers. The entrance to our house is seen in the background… The hand-painted sign above the doors was given to us from artist Keith Scharwath as a wedding gift, and was featured on the stage during our wedding ceremony.

12sonja
Image above: The giant amethyst was Jon’s wedding present to me.

2handwriting

1. Ah, gorgeous home. Love that “We are all in this together” signage.

2. Casey says:

I love your place! Especially that woodsy wallpaper. My grandma had the same cat pillow! He lives with my parents now. :)

3. Summer says:

This space is just so fun! From the wallpaper to the chairs…I’m a fan

4. Krissy says:

do you happen to know where the glass coffee table is from? i’ve been looking for one like that for a while!
    Thanks!

5. Joanna says:

Where did you acquire that divine rug in the first photo? It’s beyond stunning!

6. Anna says:

Gorgeous place! Would love to know where the living room rug is from!!
    Thanks, Anna

7. Erin says:

The light! The light!! So jealous of your windows, all that light really opens up the space (and just screams LA). Beautiful home, Sonja!

8. Amber says:

Ditto, would love to know where that rug came from – LOVE it!

9. sonja rasula says:

Awww, thanks so much everyone for the sweet comments!!! CASEY I love knowing another old cat pillow is out there. KRISSY, my husband Jon designed and made the table because we couldn’t find a brass one anywhere that we liked (his website is jonathansager.com if you want to contact him, he can make/ship it for anyone). JOANNA & ANNA, the rug is an antique that I found at the Rose Bowl Flea Market, where I find all my antique rugs… Unfortunately the dealer doesn’t have a website or store :(

10. Candi says:

Love the breakfast nook…adore the pink chairs. Sonja, big congrats on the opening of The Unique Space.

Thanks for sharing!

11. kelly says:

buy local! from your local west elm, that is.

12. firehorse jane says:

Love it. Really beautifully decorated (minus the antlers… ;) ) and your doggie is adorable!!!

13. Lauren says:

I love this home. The kitchen is perfect! May I ask where your cute little radio is from?

14. Whitney says:

Love the radio! Where did you find it?

15. Norma says:

I love your dog! He is adorable!

16. sonja rasula says:

LAUREN & WHITNEY the radio was from Areaware a couple of years ago… They don’t have it online but it looks like they have other options now. :)

17. mahasitha says:

Adorable home!
    I dream about house with corner window. I think I would place my drawing table there. :-)

18. Maria Xanthopoulou says:

Lovely amethyst chunk, but someone should clean the dust off that hanging lamp in the living room…

19. Beautiful home! I love the patterns and the pops of color. I also love the dining room lights!

20. jorey hurley says:

OH MY GOD! I grew up with that exact cat pillow in the 70s and have never seen it anywhere else! Does yours have any brand or maker info? Would love to find one on Ebay someday…… xo Jorey

21. Heather says:

This home is so beautiful I just died a little! I LOVE the bold colors of that antique blanket on the bed! Do you know who made it? Or anything about it? Thanks for sharing your lovely, inspiring space!

22. sonja rasula says:

MARIA: Hehe, I was waiting to see if someone would comment on the embarrassingly dusty lampshade! I’m great at creating large scale events and helping thousands of entrepreneurs go after their dreams, not great at cleaning. Gulp…

JOREY: The label says The Toy Works (looks like it was located in Middlefalls, NY)

HEATHER: Unfortunately there is no label on the blanket… The person I bought it from said she thought it was from an old mid-west tribe. ? Sorry!

23. Erin says:

Love that you used the console for a bar area. It’s a refreshing reminder that you don’t need to have a bar cart to have a designated bar area!

xx Erin

24. I love this beautiful home. So warm and lovely. Beautiful and well edited pieces, just gorgeous.
    xo
    Melissa

25. Robin says:

Wowww! I grew up with that same cat pillow too, I can’t believe other people had it too! Lovely home!

26. firehorse jane says:

personally i just assumed that was shadow on the lampshade! :)

27. rosalie says:

All the links are dead! Wahhh!!

28. Ali Franks says:

The sofa from Rosa Beltran Designs is beautiful. Happy to see one of her pieces on your blog. I love both of your blogs!

29. S says:

I love the coffee table; can you point me where you bought it from?

30. Kate says:

I love the pendant light in your living room! Can I ask where you got it from?
    Thank you- lovely home with so much character !

31. Naomi W says:

Sonja, who made this comfy, yet refined sofa??? I need.

32. Jenna says:

Where is the pendant light in the dining room from? Love it!!!!

33. Amiee says:

love your style!was wondering where did you purchase your sectional couch? -Amiee