15 Clever Storage Solutions

15storagesolutions
I spent last week in a flurry of organizing. We took the week off from the office so I really wanted to come “back-to-school” organized and ready to start a new year. I organized my tool cupboard (which I don’t think had been touched for four years! Yikes!) And I tackled my closet – which was a project. (And that’s not hyperbole – here’s the before. Yup. That’s real. I’m nothing if not honest.) To get myself in the organization mood, I collected some of my favorite storage solutions from the sneak peek archives. They’re not all revolutionary (Hooks, people!) but they are a good reminder that we all feel a little more relaxed when everything has a place. -Amy

11rolfe

Image above: A tool chest as kitchen storage in a Portland home filled with found, salvaged and repurposed materials. See the full home tour with all the salvaged details right here.

23Jesse

Image above: Homeowner Jessie Webster made had this clothing rack made using this DIY tutorial. The rustic rack makes her clothes storage a decorative feature. See more of her California craftsman home right here.

8jennifer

Image above: Simple hooks are perfect for much-needed jewelry storage in jewelery designer Jennifer Hagler’s Boise, Idaho home. This home is the perfect study in black and white. See all the photos here.

17leahresized

Image above: A small hanging shelf makes the perfect landing strip for storing keys and change. See more of illustrator Leah Goren’s eclectic Brooklyn home here.

4d99701e4b14d37bfa8a89393e6f11fe

Image above: Ladder as pot storage – such a great idea for a flea market find! See more great ideas from this Copenhagen kitchen right here.

1-3driftingarrows

Image above: This coat and bag hanger came into homeowner Leah Lawrence’s life as the perfect walking stick now, outfitted with a few ‘s’ hooks, it’s coat and bag storage in Leah’s Seattle entryway. See the full home tour here.

5Naomi

Image above: Dorothee Becker’s Uten.Silo Wall Organizer is on my personal organizational wish list. This one resides in Naomi Ben Shahar’s home in the Chelsea neighborhood of NYC. See all of Naomi’s home right here.

7Eleonore

Image above: Ladder as high heel storage in Paris, France. See all the photos of this colorful home right here.

13Kirsten

Image above: To solve a storage problem in her long narrow closet, homeowner Kirsten Marchand, covered inexpensive bins from Ikea with illustrations from the children’s book Blueberries for Sal. See all the photos from the 1700 Massachusetts home right here.

14chris

Image above: Small trays are great for storage. Here a tray is used to office supplies corral and display office supplies on a home office desk.  See all the photos from this Minneapolis home right here.

7lucy

Image above: A discarded bicycle wheel becomes pot storage in this Portland kitchen. See more of this salvaged find-filled home right here.

6Marte

Image above: Storage doesn’t have to be fancy – a simple Billy bookcase is kitted out with rustic boxes -perfect for prop storage. See more photos from this Norwegian home filled with special little details right here.

10caitlinwilson

Image above: Caitlin Wilson keeps all her daughter’s art supplies close at hand with this animal embellished jars. See all the photos of this colorful Philadelphia home right here.

13lydia

Image above: Tried and true – aluminum cans make great art supply organizers. This Philadelphia apartment is home to an an illustrator/designer and a weaver/fiber artist which makes organizing a must – see all the photos of this home right here.

5DouglasRiccard-500x750

Image above: And perhaps simplest is best. A row of hooks create added storage in every room. See all the photos of this Brooklyn home right here.
  1. Carrie says:

I definitely need the the pot ladder. What a cool an innovative idea. I have so much pots and pans that need space. Great post!

2. I had been lusting after that pipe clothes rack for AGES but unfortunately could never find the floor space in my very small apartment for it, so I ran with the pipe rack storage idea but on a much tinier scale – http://www.radicalpossibility.com/2013/03/before-and-after-storage-space-turned.html

i LOVE it, just that little bit of extra storage helps in a guest room so much

3. Anne says:

The embellished jars are brilliant. I’d love to add seashells, gems or antique keys for an adult take on the idea! Another fun idea is to use towel racks under floating shelves. They’re perfect for hanging up your pretty scarves, clothes and belts. Here’s a pic: http://hammer-and-heels.com/2012/08/05/barbaras-nursery-pretty-in-pink/

4. Lizabeth says:

Where’s the after photo of your closet Amy? Would love to see it!

5. Anna B says:

I just love looking through ideas like this! One day I will be as organised!!!

6. Kafka says:

RE: Norwegian Home/Billy shelf: It’s not a Billy shelf, it’s from the Expedit-series – http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/09064/

7. I love trays for organizing, everything looks neat and tidy as long as its on a tray!

8. Abby says:

Thanks for this article! Just helped my sister move and it got me in the mood to purge and organize my own home.

9. Great ideas and beautiful pictures and ways to store your things! I love storing stuff in glass jars!

10. Amber says:

Yes! My closet was also amazingly horrible. I was using it as a catch-all which meant in addition to clothes there was a sewing machine, a vintage wooden scooter I’m trying to figure out how to display, as well as a metric ton of nonsense. The clean-out felt so good.

(here’s mine: http://sugarsugarhouse.com/2013/08/28/closet-clean-out/)

11. Heather P. says:

I turned all of my wooden kitchen tools into wall art in our dining room (rolling pin, pizza peel, bamboo strainer, etc.) – it looks great with everything grouped together on the wall with simple brass hooks, but also provides great storage outside of our tiny kitchen for things I don’t use every day.

12. Rachel says:

Such great ideas! Pinning for later.

13. Oooh these are all too gorgeous!!! Love love love!

14. Amanda says:

I really love that plumbing pipe hanging rack…

15. m.k. says:

This post came at the perfect time. I’ve been living in my studio apt for two years and still haven’t figured out what type of storage I really need, however, this has given me a nudge in the right direction. Thank you, Amy!

16. Loving the use of vertical space! Such an efficient use of every wall. I will definitely have to use some of these ideas when I move into my apartment!

xx

17. Eric says:

These are clever storage solutions! I especially like the way many of them skirt the line between storage and display. I always figure if you have something important to keep you might as well show it off to the world.