10 Ways to use Brown at Home

675ad55fa0a881428dcabfff856c3e5b
Brown might not be the first color you think of when faced with a wall of paint swatches but it can give you all the drama of black with a little softness. If you feel a little nervous about using brown at home, I found some amazing examples from our sneak peek archives of home owners who have taken the plunge. Have you ever thought of using brown at home? –Amy

Image above: The dark brown dramatically highlights the tub, but it’s also a practical solution as to the fact that the home’s resident two big dogs sleep here in the winter. See all the photos of this Australian home here.

6_lisi
Image above: A dark brown wall color with an elegant chandelier makes this nursery relaxing for both adults and children. See all the photos of this Barcelona home here.

7_vivian
Image above: A dark brown gives a traditional bedroom a moody feel. See all the photos of this Atlanta home here.

This post is brought to you by Sherwin-Williams. Turn your inspiration into reality with Sherwin-Williams Color Selection Tools.

See more brown in homes after the jump!

herriott6
Image above: A dark brown makes the perfect backdrop for a bedside display of favorite things. See more photos of the creative home in Toronto, Canada here.

scottengler8
Image above: A dramatic entryway completely with a bat on the wall. See all the photos of this San Francisco home here.

b49e49a1ca4e26ae62b7c6fae3cb863d
Image above: A brown wall is created using cork squares. See all the photos of this Philly home here.

5_moore
Image above: This dark brown is the perfect backdrop for this credenza that belonged to the homeowner’s great-grandmother. See all the photos of this Victorian townhouse in Canada here.

6Rebekka
Image above: A brownish gray wall in the dining room completes the other walls in the room – stenciled with golden bees.. See all the photos of this East Nashville home here.

11_claire
Image above: A moody guest bedroom in London (the bed throw was made from combining velvet floral fabric and ticking stripe). See all the photos of this home here.

1ali
Image above: Taupe wallpaper from Anthropologie in this San Francisco bedroom. See all the photos here.

1. Debbie says:

Love brown walls in a home. The right brown is warm and elegant. I have used the same colour brown in three areas of my home. The accent fireplace wall in my living area, the powder room on the main floor, and my daughter’s bedroom (now my craft room) which is very large and faces south. I find by using this lovely warm brown it pulls all the rooms together and I can accent with so many different colours depending on the time of year. Love your blog and frequently pin from it.

2. annie dishes says:

Hi! I love these colour-related posts. Any chance you could correct the link to the San Fran home with the bat on the wall? Thanks!

3. lynn says:

I recently used dark brown in an upstairs and downstairs hall to bring continuity between the floors. On the main level the dark brown acts is a great accent and to pull the rest of interior colors, ivory, navy, white, and pale blue together. I have included the link, the color is much darker and richer than it appears in the photo. http://nwrenovation.com/bathroom-articles/from-drab-to-daylight-transforming-a-converted-attic/

4. emily says:

this post makes me so happy! I have always loved brown walls, but lately the trend has been to more gray, so I am happy to see that brown walls are thriving amidst the sea of grays. and your photos are stunning examples of how to do it right! thanks for pulling this post together!

5. ruth Singer says:

I grew up in a house with a lot of brown. My mum loved it… my dad talked her out of a dark brown bathroom suite and settled for brown walls. There was a lot of brown carpet too! I have finally got over my hatred of brown and really love the rooms you have shown.

6. Nikki says:

The brown in the bathroom is really quite stunning actually! I wouldn’t have thought of that shade but the more I look at it the more I like it!

7. I have never been much for light and midtones of brown, but I have chocolate brown walls in my bedroom, and they are so cozy and enveloping.