A Massachusetts Farmhouse Where Color and Pattern Meet

by

1SallySally and Adrian Staub moved into this 19th century farmhouse in Northampton, Massachusetts a year ago with their three daughters. After nearly eight years as Deputy Photo Editor at FamilyFun magazine, Sally is now transitioning into freelance interior design and art direction, as they are expecting their 4th child in October. Adrian is a professor of psychology at University of Massachusetts and handyman around the house. While most of Adrian’s furniture didn’t make it into the house, Sally sees her decorating style as both eclectic and minimal, with an interest in the relationship of objects, color and pattern and how each are visible from other rooms. It’s clear how color and pattern inspire her and bring her joy around their home. Many thanks, Sally! –Anne

Image above: I fell in love with this wallpaper from Brooklyn designer Kimberly Lewis.  Everything in the kitchen revolved around it, including a baby blue dishwasher and fridge from Big Chill. The clock is from Schoolhouse Electric and the red light from Barnlight Electric.  I do a lot of baking and was eager to have a marble table for working with pastry dough and chocolate.

2Sally
Image above: Our daughter who lives in this room is an elegant girl who gravitates towards a feminine style, so I think this room really reflects her personality.  We painted this vintage light fixture orange from black to complement the orange and pink that the room features.  The walls are painted Morning Glory blue by Benjamin Moore.

3Sally

Click for more inside Sally and Adrian’s western Massachusetts farmhouse after the jump!

4Sally
Image above: My husband, Adrian, likes to joke that this table was practically the only piece of his furniture that made it into the house.  Wallpapering the entire dining room with this abstract geometric paper from Sandpiper Studios felt a little risky but I was so thrilled with the final outcome.  It gives great life to the space and I love to see it against other colors as you transition from room to room. The photograph on the back wall was taken by our good friend Edward Judice with a pinhole camera.

5Sally
Image above: I’m crazy about the elegance and color of this lamp.  I admired it in a local shop window with a friend who ended up giving it to us as a wedding gift.  It sits on a $5 flea market table that I refinished.

6Sally
Image above: Ah, my baby blue Big Chill refrigerator.  This, along with the matching dishwasher, was our big splurge for the kitchen.  We call it our “fashion fridge.” The color and style make me smile whenever I’m in the kitchen.

7Sally
Image above: The three girls spend a lot of time seated on these stools, from snacking to homework or just hanging out while we’re cooking in the kitchen.  They’re made by Bell Manufacturing and were purchased from Room and Board.  I love how sturdy and indestructible they are while still maintaining clean design lines and a good pop of yellow. We replaced the traditional cabinet and drawer knobs with ceramic yellow ones from Anthropologie.

8Sally
Image above: I once trained in Paris as a pastry chef.  Our kitchen pantry is where I keep a lot of my baking ingredients, tools and cookbooks.  We painted a thin bump-out wall with chalkboard paint to keep a handy grocery list.  This very practical Kik-Step stool by Cramer goes with our cherry red light fixture.

9Sally
Image above: We couldn’t wait to rip down the old track lighting in our dining room.  It was replaced with four cloche pendant lights from Restoration Hardware, which were a gracious house-warming gift from dear friends.  The bulbs are Edison-style filaments that have such a lovely, warm glow.

10Sally
Image above: Our living room is painted a soft, cozy yellow: Squish Squash by Benjamin Moore.  The ceiling is low in this room so I like how the sweeping arc of the floor lamp from CB2 creates the illusion of height.  It’s a great space for reading and hanging out to listen to music.

11Sally
Image above: Two of our daughters are captured is this modern take on a traditional silhouette portrait.  This was a favorite craft project that I shot in my former position as an art director at FamilyFun magazine.  The wall color in the stairway is “Lightening Bolt” by Benjamin Moore.

12Sally
Image above: This is our youngest daughter’s room. Like her, it is super playful and lively. She helped me choose her wallpaper, which is by Sandpiper Studios from their Soleil collection. The primary colors in the room are purple and green with light blue accents. The fantastically fun fly pillow fabric was designed by artist and friend Kandy Littrell.

13Sally
Image above: More green and purple in her room! Both the chair and desk were flea market finds. I painted the desk green but the chair was already powder-coated the perfect purple. The wall color is Oriental Iris by Benjamin Moore.

14Sally
Image above: This folk art orange mirror made from recycled bottle caps is a bright complement to our blue den walls which are Yosemite Blue by Benjamin Moore.

15Sally
Image above: This former attic space is the bedroom of our oldest daughter, who is slightly obsessed with purple.  We surprised her with this forest wallpaper, which suited her desire to keep her room “dark and mysterious.”

16Sally
Image above: This little nook in our kitchen features a gem-like painting of a beetle by artist friend Margot Glass.  There are very few white spaces in our house.  I love the whiteness surrounding the work to highlight the beauty of this tiny painted bug.

17Sally
Image above: The ladies wingback chair in our den belonged to my grandmother.  I had it reupholstered with a linen/velvet fabric. The artwork hanging above the chair is by another friend and artist, Sean Greene.  This is actually a print of the original painting which measures an impressive 48 x 54 inches.

18Sally
Image above: My office, pictured here, also doubles as an arts and crafts room for the girls. The walls are Laguna Blue by Benjamin Moore.  I have a separate table for painting and sewing projects.  The color wheel, hanging above my desk, inspires me to play with different color combinations.

19Sally
Image above: Here’s part of an excessive collection of whisks hanging in our pantry.

20Sally
Image above: As soon as Spring was in the air this year, Adrian started on several outdoor building projects, including six raised garden beds here.  Each of the girls laid claim to a bed.  Hollyhocks were a favorite flower.

21Sally
Image above: A hundred year old Butternut tree lends a sturdy limb for an old swing and provides shade for our outdoor dining table (another building project by Adrian!).

22Sally
Image above: Adrian’s biggest outdoor project was to build this coop.  We found the design online at thegardencoop.com. He almost fell down when I handed him 45 pages of plans for the coop.  It was worth it, though.  We have happy hens and a good-looking out building.

23Sally
Image above: Our other three girls, Nellie, Betsy and Ginger, happily perched on their roost before retiring to the hen house.

sallyfavorite2

1. Amanda says:

Love all the color, how each girl’s room reflects her, and the sense of love and humor. Perfect fit for Northampton! Well done.

2. Love the Big Chill fridge. That chicken coop is pretty impressive.

3. Ann says:

Love it all! So much great color and light. These ‘after’ shots must be quite different from what was there when you moved in.

4. Casey says:

LOVE the colors in this home. Definitely right up my alley and they represent my ideal color palette. Also, that chicken coop is so stylish. Makes me want chickens, just so I can build them a home like that :)

5. beautiful details and lovely wallpapers…awesome!

6. Jana Smith says:

I’m pretty sure that I need to live here! I love everything about it. The sifter in my Etsy store would look great in that kitchen.

7. Your oldest daughter’s bedroom is fantastic! Genius strategy for integrating her desire for dark and mysterious while still allowing plenty of light to flood the room. Spectacular!

8. So cute! I Love all of the patterns and colors they chose! and that fridge is awesome!

9. Awesome home!! It spreads love, laughter, and has a care free air to it. As painstaking as each color combo must have been (what colors to include in each space, which ones to leave out) the outcome is exhilarating!

10. Jennifer says:

What a warm and fun home. Great colors–that fridge is the best. Love the chicken coop too.

11. Ashley Johnson says:

That would be such an amazingly fun home to grow up in.

12. I love it! I love all of it! The colors and the design for each room fit perfectly together. The farmhouse has a personality and it look really light and fun. The folk art orange mirror made from recycled bottle caps is just brilliant.

13. Bursting with vibrant colours…love it!

14. Corner Story says:

Lovely use of cheerful colour in this friendly, family home.

15. Mary Wiseman says:

Such a cute house….even the chickens have a cool space to live.

16. Holly says:

WOW! This is so inspiring–I cannot get enough. Thank you for including all of the sources. It is great to see fresh color combinations and truly original style in a home. Thank you so much!

17. emily says:

pattern everywhere! such a happy house. those painted window moldings are stunning.

18. Lisa says:

I love a house that feels cozy and playful. I could move right in!

19. Tagati says:

Luv the pix.

BTW, where did you get that great colour wheel?

20. Dana says:

love the whole house, right down to the chicken coop!

21. Sara Jane says:

Alors là, les poules me semble très bien élevés! ;)

22. Ginger Heafey says:

You were daring and brilliant to use such bold colors, collected and new furnishings and interesting patterns to creating a fresh look that flows throughout and a home that is warm and inviting.

23. Cordu says:

This is amazing! Such a happy home!

24. Nat says:

This may well be my favourite home that you have featured so far. Love the colour, the whimsy and the consistent narrative that seeps through the entire house. :)

25. yp says:

love it, mostly the coop. it is so chic!

26. steve cline says:

Beautiful array of color and textures, well done. Gardens look great.

27. maria theresa a camacho says:

I was thinking of having an all white house but I am convinced now that colorful os the wa to go. so fun and fearless!

28. Capucine says:

You were right about that kitchen wallpaper. It IS special and worth basing a happy kitchen on. I’m glad you got a Big Chill, how killer!

Love the mentionof your daughter’s wishes and surprising her. So hard to honor the mysterious needs of children!

29. Tara Wegdam says:

It is perfect! Can you please come and do it to my house ?

30. Katie says:

This house is beautiful, the colours are just the right kind of vibrant, the treasures are shown carefully but not contrived. I particularly likes the blue colours, wonder if we can get them in Scotland. Thanks for showing us your home, love it.

31. Robin says:

Spectacular! I love how she turned an old farm house into something modern and lively. The use of color and wallpaper and combining old with new is stunning.

32. michelle says:

the husband. gotta love the husband who built wishes come true.

33. Anne Piland says:

So beautiful that I find myself going back to the website over and over. Makes me feel happy!

34. Anne Piland says:

Great job! I find myself going back to the website over and over. Makes me happy.

35. Amy says:

Wow, just found this tour- absolutely perfect. Although my house is very different in style (old, dark wood, little light), I am inspired. Any sources for similar folk art mirrors?

36. I like how you designed your house. It looks so beautiful and organized. What I like most is Adrian’s outdoor project, the chicken coop. I have also 6 hens at the moment and they are all laying eggs. I also let my niece and my hens run around my yard. They are free-range chickens.

37. Lauran says:

I just love the color combinations. While I always appreciate all-white rooms, I know I couldn’t live in one — I need some color in my life! I am also digging your use of wallpaper — I think it’s time for me to try some in my own home. Thanks for the fun and inspiration. Your girls are really lucky!