Living In: The OC

livingin_oc_1 livingin_oc_2

This year marks the 10th anniversary of The O.C, or what many millennials might argue is (possibly) THE BEST TEEN SHOW OF ALL TIME. While it only lasted a measly four seasons (the last of which barely even counts), the O.C. introduced a generation to some of the greatest things ever to grace the small screen. Namely, the trials and tribulations of Ryan + Marissa, Sandy Cohen’s monumental eyebrows, the most epic death scene ever, Chrismukkah, and anything at all having to do with Julie Cooper. Although its run on television was unforgivably brief, this soapy high school drama helped to define a moment and pave the way for nearly a decade of trashy reality TV centered around Orange County’s economic elite (I’m lookin’ at you, Laguna Beach, The Hills, and Real Housewives!). The show has hardly stood the test of time, but that’s what makes it so amazing to watch over again. Pop Season 1 into your DVD player and allow yourself to be transported back to a time when chokers for men looked tough and velour tracksuits were at the height of fashion! —Max

theoc_products_2

1. Hanes Tank Top | 2. Eames Storage Unit | 3. Woven Floor Vase | 4. Leather Wrap Bracelet | 5. Spiderman Mask | 6. Vintage Mexico Map | 7. iPod Classic | 8. Death Cab for Cutie, Transatlanticism | 9. Xbox Controller

livingin_oc_3 livingin_oc_4 theoc_products_1

1.Velour Track Jacket | 2. BMX Bike | 3. Outdoor Lounge Chair | 4. Stick-on Eyebrows | 5. Bark Paddleboard | 6. Batman Comics | 7. My Little Pony | 8. Toy Horse | 9. Faux Palm Tree

livingin_oc_5

Show: The O.C.

Creator: Josh Schwartz

Starring: Ben McKenzie, Adam Brody, Mischa Barton, Rachel Bilson, Peter Gallagher, Kelly Rowan, Melinda Clarke, Tate Donovan

Production Design: Thomas Fichter, Cece Destefano

Set Decoration: Cherie Day Ledwith, Cynthia T. Lewis

Costume Design: Robin Lewis West, Alexandra Welker, Karla Stevens

1. Kimberly says:

This is amazing.

2. juni says:

gosh was O.C really ten years ago?? Season one was my favorite ;)

3. Mandy Gross says:

Best show ever!!

4. I have to admit I never really got into this show (I’m a tried and true OTH fan) but you may have inspired me to go back and give it another try! It really only lasted 4 seasons?! Seems way longer than that!

5. Stacey Day says:

LOVED that show! Great post.

6. Mikaela says:

You’re right. Best show ever. Every night we’d tell people we were going to go “hang out with our California friends” and dash home to watch the OC.

7. P says:

Don’t forget Seth Cohen’s Ben Folds Live poster from season 1.

8. Roxanne says:

I watched the OC in its entirety and then each season on DVD on repeat, due to lack of cable for about 4 years straight in college. It’s such a witty and clever show with amazing music. After a 5 year hiatus, I pulled out my box set last month. Stoked to watch a few episodes tonite on this most esteemed anniversary!

9. Kim says:

Is it on Netflix yet? If so, I know what I’m doing tonight!

10. Aislin says:

Seeing this brought back flashes of late 90s-early 00s TV… Living In: Dawson’s Creek anyone? :P

11. These DVD’s are always great for a rainy night in!

12. Jill says:

My favorite part are Sandy Cohen’s Eyebrows…which was also the name of my trivia team for Videology’s 10th Year celebration of The O.C.

13. Sharna says:

YES to everything! Haha this post just made my day, I love this show.

Sharna

14. Denae says:

This post is amazing. Seth Cohen is my hero!

15. I wonder what Mischa Barton is up to these days…

16. Amanda says:

Godddddd I loved this show so much. Seth and Summer forever! Although I would have tried to steal him in a heartbeat, boy had good taste in jams! Remember when they went to see Death Cab for Cutie?? And his Atom and his Package poster?!

I’m still sad that Adam Brody and Rachel Bilson broke up in real life.

17. Amy says:

Oh my god I hate how much I love this show. The “Living In” posts have been AMAZING recently.

18. Kelly says:

Im so happy right now. Ill be watching season 3 (aka the best season) tonight. Ah, teen angst.

19. Jo says:

10 years no way!

20. Nicole says:

Lol this is fantastic. It needs a ceramic coffee mug that looks like a Starbucks cup. They always, always had coffee.

21. Eleanor says:

MEGA BROWS!!! love it… Sandy is my king <3

22. Victoria says:

This is amazing. In high school, if we were ever driving across town, we would say we were headed to “Chino” (where Ryan was from).

23. Heather says:

Aaand I just dug up seasons 1-3 from my closet. There goes my productivity for the next couple of weeks.

24. I completely forgot about this show and how good it was!

25. Sarah says:

Love this flash back! We were big fans of the show. In fact, people used to tell my husband he looked just like Ben McKenszie when it was on. Makes me want to watch it again!

26. polly says:

i think we’re beginning to scrape the bottom of the barrel with the ‘living in…’ column.
    why not go out on a high note?

27. My daughters were in high school and got me watching it with them, I have to admit that I loved it too! It was easy to get caught up the story lines, always something happening! You post has made me nostalgic, and has thinking about watching this series again. My daughter even has the complete set of all 4 seasons in the acrylic box.

28. Heather Pool says:

Watched season 1 all the way through in a 24 hour junk-food-induced-daze back in the day. I felt like Seth Cohen was a real person in my life. :) 10 years ago??? Man I’m getting old!