in the kitchen with: whip + click’s tomato tatin

I promise this is the last recipe with tomatoes as protagonist for this summer!  I was all ready to explore other ingredients, when I was wooed by this tomato tatin by pastry chef / photographer duo Whip + Click.  I love a good pastry recipe that can be used in different recipes if I decide to improvise, and well…I love tomatoes.  This particular recipe requires no particular skill, and it all comes out so very pretty.  Just remember that the tomatoes will shrink when they cook, so you will really want to crowd them in.  We’re off next week, so we will see you here again on the column in September! –Kristina

About Whip+Click
: We are pastry chef Albane (whip) and food photographer Evi (click). We’ve combined our pastry and photo skills and founded Whip+Click.  Albane Sharrard is a graduate of the International Culinary Institute who has worked for Dominique Ansel (Restaurant Daniel), the Alain Ducasse team (Benoit Restaurant), Jacques Torres Chocolates and Bread Alone. She founded Crosstown Sweets in 2011.  Evi Abeler is a New York City-based food photographer with a background in graphic design. Most recently she has worked with Anthology Magazine, FoodNetwork, Food+Wine, Lotta Jansdotter, Sweet Paul Magazine and Whole Foods Markets. Originally from Dalsper, Germany, Evi now lives in New York.

• 200 grams (1 1/3 cup) flour
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 100 grams (8 tablespoons) chilled butter, cut into cubes
  • 1 egg

Sift the flour into a bowl.  Add salt and cubed butter and work into the flour with your fingers until the butter pieces are no bigger than lentil size.  Add the egg and mix until just combined. If it is too dry, add cold water one teaspoon at a time.  Chill for 30 minutes.

• 940 grams (2 lbs) plum tomatoes
  • olive oil
  • herbes de provence
  • sea salt and pepper
  • 1 large onion
  • grated parmesan

Set your oven at 350 F.

1. Cut tomatoes in half, core and remove the seeds.
  2. Coat the bottom of a 10 inch round dish with olive oil and place the tomatoes skin side down all around the pan.
  3. Season with salt, pepper, herbes de provence and drizzle with olive oil.
  4. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until soft.
  5. In the meantime, cut your onion into thin slices and place in a pan with some olive oil.
  6. Cook on medium low heat stirring occasionally until very soft and caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
  7. Before you take out the tomatoes, roll out your dough to a 10 inch round.
  8. Spread the onions on top of the tomatoes, then add an even layer of grated parmesan.  Add the dough on top and tuck the edges in.
  9. Bake for another 30 minutes or until the dough is golden brown.
  10. To unmold, run a knife around the edges and flip onto a serving dish. Eat!

Why Evi and love this recipe

We love this tomato tatin so much because it speaks of summer, it’s super tasty, it’s easy to bring along to a picnic and share with friends and it keeps for a few days and gets better by the day!  Of course it also looks good and you can experiment with some fresh herbs on top….mmmmh!

1. Pestle says:

I probably need to calibrate my oven; after 35 minutes, it still wasn’t as well done as the photo. Between the buttery crust, onions, cheese and tomatoes, the flavor was more complex than I’d expected. Real comfort food. This one will go into our recipe book as a family favorite.

2. Barbara says:

I made this great tatin today and it looked the works and was delicious!

3. Danielle says:

I just made this for a dinner party tonight. It came out wonderful.

4. Jayme Marie says:

I think this recipe is perfect for end-of-summer tomatoes and herbs. It allows for a lot of creativity with other vegetables. Love the photography, as well! I will definitely be trying this one over the next couple of weeks – thanks so much!

5. Suzi says:

Elegant looking dish for very little prep and work. It was DELICIOUS to top it off!

6. Erica says:

So I finally made this last night. I was a little worried at first as anything I’ve ever made that is pie or pie-like usually fails… but with an over abundance of garden tomatoes, I had nothing to loose. The recipe was super simple and I substituted the herbes de Provence for Italian herbs (that’s what I had in my pantry).
    The tatin came out perfect, was delicious and my husband devoured half of it! Can’t wait to have the tiny leftover piece for lunch today. Will definitely be making this again with the next tomato batch.

7. story says:

This is a wonderful recipe. I tried it today, ate half of it, and stopped myself from eating any more so I could share it with my family. I didn’t get the caramelization on the edges like your photo shows, so I may try a smidge of sugar next time. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

8. TLA says:

Made this twice in one week. Outstanding. Going in my permanent keeper file, and regular rotation, for sure!

9. AER says:

Why is mine so runny/watery?!?! :(

10. Base-Cap says:

Good day I am so excited I found your webpage, I really found you by accident,
    while I was searching on Bing for something else,
    Regardless I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a marvelous post
    and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to go through it all at the moment but
    I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds,
    so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the superb

11. Kristina says:

hi @aer– it may be the quality of tomatoes? Perhaps some types have more water than others even after you’ve removed the seeds and juice inside?

12. story says:

I ended up posting this recipe on my blog with link back to you. And now I have requests from the neighbors to make another after a serendipitous sampling. Thank you for sharing!

13. DLove says:

Mine was watery, too. Actually chucked it which was a shame. Next time will be more thorough scooping seeds and bake the tomatoes for longer.

14. Hey Kristina, Good day, I’m so glad I found your blog. Your recipes are wonderful. I tried your whip clicks tomato tartin yesterday and my whole family like it.

15. Ken in SF says:

Made this once and loved it. Made it again for a party and it was a huge hit. I find the tomatoes take much longer to cook down than the 30 minutes they show here. The folks who said theirs was watery, this was probably why. Also the tomatoes will shrink quite a bit so really fill up the pan as much as you can. I’ve never made pastry crust before so I was nervous, but I knew that one secret is to keep the butter as cold as possible. I was making this on a hot summer’s day so I chilled the mixing bowl and rolled out the dough on a chilled baking sheet between sheets of parchment/Waxed paper. The dough will seem very dry and crumbly when you take it out of the chill, but it rolls out nicely. (I didn’t have a rolling pin–a wine bottle works great). Oh and don’t skip on the Herbes de Provence. Italian seasoning would work but HdP is really wonderful.