DIY Project: Landmark Photo Patches

photopatches
Mar Espanol, one of our lovely DIY interns, has been in love with these Macon and Lesquoy pins forever. On a recent trip to Paris, she was able to pick up a few and they remain favorite souvenirs—wearable badges signifying her time spent there. Inspired by the idea of souvenir pins, Mar decided to create her own patches (suitable for clothing or bags) using photographs of famous international landmarks. An update on the classic idea of suitcase stickers, these hand-sewn darlings are a fashionable way to pay homage to your favorite places. Check out the full instructions after the jump! —Max

photopatches2

Materials:

• Digital images (taken yourself or found online)
  • Inkjet Printer
  • Fabric Transfer Paper
  • Felt
  • Embroidery Thread
  • Needles
  • Scissors

Steps:

1. Resize and edit your images.
  2. Print them on Fabric Transfer Paper
  3. Iron your  white fabric to remove any creases
  4. Cut out your images
  5. Following the instructions of your Transfer paper, Iron your images onto your fabric
  6. Place images face-up on felt and embroider a running stitch outline close to the edge of your image. This will hold the image in place
  7. Using Straight and even stiches, make a embroidered border
  8. Cut out patch.
  9. Pin or sew onto your travel bag. Ta-da!
  1. Jackie Botto says:

I love this idea! I like when I can put my own photos to good use instead of filing them away on my desktop.

2. Liz says:

So cute! Reminds me of my recent trip to Paris too :)

3. This could really help with back to school by using these as labels on back packs or even lunch boxes!

4. hillary says:

I love it! Thank you!

5. Jesse says:

My family and I love to go on trips. This would be a wonderful project for us. We can have a collection of our fave photos for each trip in one of our travel bags. Thanks for sharing this.

6. Ananasa says:

Amazing idea! thank you for this lovely post and inspiration

7. Sujatha says:

This is an amazing idea to remember our varied trips by… thanks for sharing it!