A Williamsburg Apartment for Work and Play

Being that space is at a premium in New York City, apartments are frequently used for multiple purposes, most often for work and living. I’m always impressed when someone manages to create a space that incorporates both of these realms, but even more impressed when they blend seamlessly together. In designer Leta Sobierajski’s Williamsburg, Brooklyn apartment, there seems to be no delineation between the work and play. Her desk is right next to her bed and many of her props from work projects layer well into the decor around the home. Though she prefers minimal color and uses predominantly whites, black and browns, she has managed to incorporate pops of color via the green Algue, graphic printed tea towels and framed artwork. Leta is a multidisciplinary designer who likes to combine mediums in design, photography, art and styling. She is currently freelance and loving it, often working from home but sometimes working in-house at different studios. Thank you, Leta! Shannon

Image above: The Wassily chairs had been manufactured in Gavina, Italy in the ’60s. I scored them on Craigslist on a whim. A friend helped me transport them all the way from the Bronx and we sat on them in the subway car. People were definitely surprised to see those chairs on the L train! The leather needs to be replaced, but the frames are in perfect condition. They are definitely one of my favorite accents in my apartment.

Image above: The silk rug was a gift from my parents—they have a collection of Persian rugs in their house and gave me this one as a housewarming gift when I moved into my new apartment. It’s a nice reminder of where I grew up, and it’s so soft! The print is a silkscreen I was given when I worked at HunterGatherer a few years ago.

See more of Leta’s Brooklyn home after the jump…

Image above: The Algue helps fill up the living room space and adds a pop of color. It’s definitely weird—whenever someone comes to visit, it’s the first thing they comment on. It was also a pain in the ass to put together.

Image above: There is a lot of photography equipment hanging around my apartment so I have to fit it into every nook and cranny I can find. Fortunately, everything is collapsible and doesn’t take up too much additional space. When I do need to shoot something, i’ll set it all up in front of the bookshelf. The drawing is a reproduction of a Julie Mehretu piece that I did for my freshman drawing class in college when I was 17. Those red hands are from a small shoot I did against the green seamless in the right corner.

Image above: I have a lot of objects sitting around my apartment from previous projects, such as the ones here. Some are in storage, but others sit out and become part of the decor.

Image above: I can’t bear to throw away magazines, so this stack just gets taller and taller, as does my supply of design books. Some of my favorites are Monocle, the Gentlewoman, and Creative Review. The photographs are from my father, which he took when he was still living in Poland in the 70’s. Underneath is where all of my art supplies and other odds and ends are hidden.

Image above: My kitchen is tiny, but it’s still cozy and very accommodating. There is enough table space to share a meal, or I’ll spend time sketching at the table when I need a break from the computer and want to spread out.

Image above: One thing I love (but sometimes hate) about the kitchen is that there isn’t very much storage space, so I have resorted to leaving a lot of things out on these open shelves. It took me a long time to find a salt and pepper grinder that I really liked—most look too country style for my taste—but these white and maple ones from Muuto are a dream come true!

Image above: I do most of my work from my bedroom. I guess I have good discipline, because I work directly next to my bed. My desk sits next to a window that gets great light and overlooks the street below. I like to keep my bed simple, aka all white. The desk is from Room and Board, and my bed and desk storage are from Muji. Also to note, the screensaver is an hommage to On Kawara’s date paintings.

Image above: I got the Parra print through a friend at Exhibition A. They’re great for limited edition art! I’m a fan of his work and always get a laugh when I read the quote. I also keep a few Alvar Aalto vases around my apartment. This one houses some leftover wooden balls from a stop motion project.

1. Sarah says:

love all the beautiful, fun pops of color!

2. Amy says:

Beautiful! Where did you find those great stainless steel shelves for the kitchen?

3. Maggie says:

Random, but Leta looks a ton like Jessica Walsh!

4. jmcvl says:

How original. Very clever use of space and it is so light and airY! Gorgeous x

5. Katy says:

Love your apt, Leta! Question – I have a Wassily chair and the leather desperately needs to be replaced – did you do that yourself? If so, any tips?

6. Love the books everywhere.

7. kim says:

This is beautiful! Wishing I lived in Brooklyn right now!

8. catarina says:

the coffee table is just perfect! love the colored organization, and the simple lines of the surfaces.

9. Jacqueline says:

Loving her space, and her dress! :)

10. amanda says:

What a gorgeous apartment!! Really love that dip dyed top too.

11. diseño web says:

love the all white look of this house. beautiful.

12. Hahaha, that Algue is awesome. And I know how hard it is to work right next to your bed!

13. Meridith says:

I love the avocado dish towel! Where did you get it?

14. Malina says:

This algue thing…weird and fantastic at the same time. I´ve never heard or read about this before. I really like the style of the apartment.

15. Love the way she has organised her books. It is so hard to really make books look like they are part of the decoration. Love it.

16. So well organised..love the pops of color…xx meenal

17. Louise says:

Love how she’s kept it bright and airy, but the dashes of colour keep it lively too. And I love how she’s managed to make it so functional for work while keeping it as someplace you can really live in. Beautifully done.

18. Awesome feeling of clean lines and brightness in this home.

19. Tess says:

love that free standing bookshelf! can anyone take a guess at where its from? Thanks!

20. Sarah M. says:

I would like to know where that adorable minimal skull is from….please

21. This is an incredibly beautiful home. Wow!

22. Desiree says:

Love the algue!! How did you do it? And where did you find it, I love it!! Want to do a wall like that myself!!!

23. levi montez says:

Where did you get that skull?

24. Shannanigan says:

Those shelves are from Ikea… I know because I’m buying them for my place!! And I would also like to know where that cute little skull came from… :D

25. Libby says:

Where did you purchase the stainless steel shelves?

26. Boris says:

Great job, Leta. looks absolutely beautiful (your father gave me this link)

27. Charlene says:

Algue was designed by the Bouroullec brothers for Vitra and comes in different colors! http://www.designpublic.com/vitra-algue

28. Lisa K says:

Agree she does look like Jessica Walsh! Her work resembles some of Walsh’s as well. Actually, the way she organizes her bookshelf by color is how Sagmeister&Walsh organize the shelf in the office. Ha, Great minds think alike? Anyway, very cute apt-charming! Love the silver shelf in the kitchen.