15 Ways to Use a Ladder at Home

Though they have a reputation for function, ladders can also be an unassuming yet striking focal point in a home. While combing through the Sneak Peek archives, I was surprised to see not only the multitude of ways people use ladders, but also that there were so many examples of ladders as decor, particularly in a slightly rustic, vintage style. Whether it be simply leaned against a bare wall unadorned, used to display blankets and trinkets, or converted to an overflowing bookshelf, I am now convinced that a ladder is a must have furniture piece adaptable in any style home. –Shannon

Image above: Between both her home and shop, Sibella Court has not one but three ladders decorating her spaces.

Image above: This white ladder adds just the right amount of texture and intrigue to a sparse white wall in Amanda Schuler and Dave Podsiadlo’s home.

Image above: This ladder allows Adrian Richardson to display some of his collected treasures in his Australian home.

See more ladders after the jump…

Image above: In a home that feels more beach than Brooklyn brownstone, this ladder leads to a guest room in Fitzhugh Carol and Lyndsay Caleo’s Sneak Peek.

Image above: This ladder creates a clever visual illusion by streamlining and enclosing Isabel Asha Penzlien‘s make shift closet space.

Image above: This ladder nearly blends into the wall behind Tara Percy’s bed in her Philadelphia home.

Image above: Paula Kilpatrick puts her ladder to work by converting it to a filled-to-the-brim bookshelf in her living room.

Image above: By placing the two ladders near the fireplace, Meg Crossley ensures that this area of the living room is the primary focal point of the room.

Image above: This vintage library ladder gives access to the hidden storage area in Kevin Burke and David Kimelman’s home.

Image above: This ladder may be utilized for practical purposes, such as climbing up to clean those tall windows in Douglas Riccardi’s home.

Image above: A ladder by the bed means easy access to an extra blanket on a cool California night in Haley Ann Robinson’s home.

Image above: Here is a beautiful solution for storing and displaying extra pots and pans in Camilla Ebdrup and Andreas Stenmann’s Copenhagen kitchen.

Image above: This ladder emphasizes the tall ceilings of Bladon Connor’s 400 square foot apartment, making the relatively small space feel a little bit bigger.

Image above: Another example of a library ladder also used to access storage, this time in the bathroom of Jill Robertson’s home.

Image above: Because one is just not enough, here is the second of three of Sibella Court’s ladders. Check out the rest of her peek to see the third.

1. Ha!
    I just posted on my wall ladder yesterday morning!
    Who knew I was trending?
    LOL – so funny.

2. Catherine says:

3. dawn says:

I instagrammed my new old ladder yesterday and blogged it early this morning! Perfect timing. Love this post.

4. Ella says:

The boyfriend and I are looking to move in to a 1bed flat in SW London. These kinds of ideas fit perfectly with our tastes. Every time we view a flat, my first thought is STORAGE!! Thanks E

5. Jesse says:

Love these ideas! It’s like you read my mind! Just yesterday I started researching different ways to incorporate old ladders into the house, we have a high ceiling in the kitchen and I’m trying to conjure up ideas of suspending a ladder (horizontally) and putting lighting all over it.. I love that ladder book shelf!

6. It must be something in the air !! Have had a ladder as storage- instead of a towel rack- in the bathroom since this Spring – and super handy it is too.And it was for free as it was a kerb-side score :-).You can find it here http://moderncountrylady.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/does-perfect-bathroom-exist.html

7. nancy says:

great idea! I think it’s perfect for bathrooms!

8. Leigha says:

Love this!! My husband made me a ladder to hang my magazines from a couple years ago. He painted it peacock blue and it adds a great pop of color to the living room.

9. Love the little hidden storage area! I thought it was the guest bedroom!

10. Jess says:

Where can I find an old ladder? I’d like to use it as a stair handrail– shorter for the little people in our family and higher for adults!

11. Charlotte says:

My mum’s builder left his old ladder resting against her house, and I’m completely in love with it. It was his father’s, who was also a builder, and the patina and age it has is beautiful. I sort of want to pinch it!

I took some photos of it and put them on my blog, coincidentally: http://littleredfoxco.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/home.html

12. julia says:

love this idea. I don’t know if we could do it though, our kids would climb the ladder every day..

13. I opened a fine art/craft gallery last October and needed to race to prepare for the holiday retail season. Found (with the help of thoughtful friends) 4 wooden ladders of varying heights and vintage age. 6 cans of red enamel later, my window display rocked with 4 old, red ladders mimicking Christmas trees with ornaments hanging from each of them. The response was so amazing that I have continued to use one of them continuously for display — and plan on all 4 again this holiday season!

14. brittanyp says:

We’ve had a giant ladder floating around my apartment anywhere we can lean it against for the past 4 months (we borrowed it to paint the living room, but still need it to start the bedroom wallpaper removal extravaganza). Now I feel trendy rather than embarrassed about it. Thanks!

15. eva says:

ladders have long been underestimated, but no more! They are great and provide instant graphics in 3D quality.

16. cj says:

Where can I buy some of these ladders?

17. Vera says:

Los articulos me engancharon mas todo hay que decirlo :)