Living In: I Heart Huckabees

huckabees_1 huckabees_2

Normally when I write a Living-In post, I might write a brief synopsis of the film I’m covering. That seems a little bit tricky with I Heart Huckabees, though, because the oftentimes surreal film tends to defy description. One of my all-time favorite films, Huckabees is a self-described “existential comedy”—a ridiculous, frenetic exploration of opposed philosophical viewpoints through the lens of David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook, The Fighter). Centered around a battle to save a plot of woodland from suburban development, the film follows a group of loosely-connected, self-obsessed people as their lives are studied by a group of Existential Investigators (played hilariously by Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman). Both laugh-out-loud funny and ridiculously mind-bending, Huckabees is a film that needs to be seen (sometimes several times) to be believed. —Max

huckabees_products

1. Artificial Boulder | 2. Mondaine Watch | 3. Brooks Brothers Derby Hat | 4. Postalco Notebook | 5. Polaroid SX 70 | 6. Filing Cabinet | 7. Chalkboard | 8. Glass Pitcher

huckabees_3 huckabees_4 huckabeesproducts_2

1. Striped Bikini Top | 2. Mancala | 3. Hop Ball | 4. Mini Tripod | 5. Shania Twain – Greatest Hits Album | 6. Windsor Oxford Bike | 7. Bonnet | 8. Fireman’s Boots

huckabees_5 huckabees_6

Film: I Heart Huckabees

Year: 2004

Director: David O. Russell

Starring: Jason Schwartzman, Dustin Hoffman, Lily Tomlin, Jude Law, Mark Wahlberg, Naomi Watts, Isabelle Huppert

Production Design: K. K. Barrett

Art Direction: Seth Reed

Set Decoration: Gene Serdena

Costume Design: Mark Bridges

1. Another great movie! Love all your picks for this one!

2. LOCZIdesign says:

Hahah! This is great.

3. Kate says:

Such a great movie. That bonnet…. hilarious!

4. rachel says:

Yes! The bonnet!!! One of thee best movie moments ever!

5. Marque says:

Maxwell has been writing my favorite “Living In:” posts. Love it.

6. One of my favorite movies, and now it’s a good luck charm since you found the info I was looking for on the polaroid shown! I inherited that camera after my grandfather passed away, and I’ve been trying to find out more about it. A direct link to a place that not only has all the camera specs but also sells film? EPIC. Thanks!

7. Lauren says:

Fantastic Movie and LOVE the chalkboard!

8. Lauren says:

You rock, Rock.

9. Ali says:

The whole roundup is fantastic, but you had me at the bonnet and the Shania Twain album.

10. cde says:

My favorite movie! Would never have thought of this for a Living In, but I love it!

11. Lis says:

Another point for Living In! So excited when these show up in my inbox and I’m rarely disappointed :)

12. Ana Rocadas says:

One of my favorite movies. Forever quotable and always relevant! It’s the movie that made me love Jude Law – he does really special things in this out-of-the-box role.