Living In: Ghost World

ghostworld_1

ghostworld_3

I first saw Ghost World when I was entering my freshman year of high school and, in retrospect, it was the perfect film to usher in that period of my life. Based on the Daniel Clowes comic of the same name, the film centers around Enid (Thora Birch), a sarcastic, slightly misanthropic artist during the summer after her high school graduation. Without any college or career prospects, Enid whiles away much of her time with her best friend, the equally jaded Rebecca (Scarlett Johansson)—hanging out in diners, following strangers, and swapping witty observations about the world around them. Enid and Rebecca’s relationship hits a speed bump, however, when the two stumble upon Seymour, an introverted blues enthusiast (Steve Buscemi) who draws Enid in with his bizarre interests and offbeat charm.

Thora Birch is no stranger to playing angst-ridden teenagers in middle-American suburban wastelands (anyone remember her role in American Beauty?). Daniel Clowes’ Enid, however, proves a fantastic foil to the monotonous, oftentimes nonsensical world around her—she is brimming with curiosity, artistic drive, and wry wit. With a killer sense of style, amazing taste in music, and the little black bob that launched a million little black bobs, Enid is certainly the style icon of a generation—and the perfect alt role model for any teenager (or teenager at heart). —Max

ghostworld_products_1

1. Plaid Dress | 2. Fetch Eyewear Glasses | 3. Dr. Martens Boots | 4. Manic Panic Hair Dye | 5. Milkshake Glass | 6. Batman Mask | 7. Patio Folding Chair | 8. VHS Tapes | 9. Wall-mounted Ironing Station

ghostworld_2

ghostworld_4

ghostworld_products_2

1. Enid’s Raptor T-shirt | 2. Skip James, Devil Got My Woman Album | 3. Smeg Refrigerator | 4. Foil Door Curtain | 5. Replica Phonograph | 6. Red Bantam Armchair | 7. Reading Lamp | 8. Chucho el Remendado Poster | 9. Pink Wool Blanket

ghostworld_5

ghostworld_6

Film: Ghost World

Year: 2001

Director: Terry Zwigoff

Starring: Thora Birch, Scarlett Johansson, Steve Buscemi, Illeana Douglas, Bob Balaban, Stacey Travis, Brad Renfro

Production Design: Edward T. McAvoy

Art Direction: Alan E. Muraoka

Set Decoration: Lisa Fischer

Costume Design: Mary Zophres

1. Camille says:

Ghost World! I graduated high school in 2001, and this movie will always and forever be so close to my heart.

Wall-mounted ironing board? Nailed it.

2. Elizabeth V. says:

Max, you are killing it with these lately.
    Spot on.
    Thanks!

3. Shalini says:

I am a reader and not much of a movie watcher, so every time I am reading a book, I think of how it would make a feature here; ‘living in book —-‘. Most recently while reading short stories from secret annex by Anne Frank, I thought the attic described in the book would make for a very contemporary decor. Please do include books in your feature as well. :-)

4. So. Rad. Definitely an iconic movie from my high school years, too. She reminds me of Daria so much! Only cooler. And real. I need to watch this movie again!

5. Molly says:

I can’t tell you how many times I watched this movie over and over again the summer after I finished high school because it just so perfectly encapsulated my life at the time. Max, you nailed it again!

6. That green chair looks Fab!!!!

7. melanie says:

yes. yes. yes. i’ve been waiting for this one! ghost world is a favorite of mine.

8. Great pick! Love Thora Birch in this movie!

9. Elisha says:

These are always so good. LOVE Ghost World!

10. i Love Scarlett Johansson , the best of the film !!!

11. Morey Hall says:

One of my favorite movies by far!