Hand and Hand Magazine – A “Small Press” Digital Zine

handandhand_1

Let’s face it— the digital magazine, whether it be on the web browser or the tablet, has not quite caught on yet. Although print sales are supposedly plummeting at ever-increasing speeds, I can tell you the number of friends I have that have turned towards digital publications as an alternative: zero. As a self-proclaimed tech junkie and early adapter, I fervently converted all of my print magazine subscriptions to iPad editions as soon as I was able. I personally love the format, but its seems to confound the technophobic and otherwise print-complacent amongst my acquaintances. I suppose I can see where they’re coming from, though. Switching your subscriptions to digital involves an iTunes or Amazon account, a whole slew of steps, and then a desire to read things on screen rather than on the printed page. And that’s just for tablet publications—don’t even get me started on the complications that arise when trying to “swipe” through pages on browser-based magazines. I am all for digital publications — they allow for inexpensive reproduction, they are (ostensibly) less taxing on the environment, and they don’t take up nearly as much space on the shelf. However, I feel like the entire method of distribution and consumption for these publications could be a heck of a lot simpler. And this is why I am so, so, so excited about artist Carrie Strine’s new Hand and Hand Magazine.

handandhand_2

Dubbed a digital ‘zine, Hand and Hand is a celebration of the makers and appreciators of all things handmade. Its newly released inaugural issue is centered around the concept of knots, both literally and metaphorically, and features a carefully curated line-up of creative contributors (Lisa Congdon, Jessica Marquez, Shabd Simon-Alexander, to name a few). With long-form writing, how-to’s, beautiful photography, and nary an advertisement in sight, Hand and Hand is a beautifully simple antithesis to all of the flashy, bells-n-whistles options currently on the digital market. The magazine’s website states,

Hand and Hand is a new zine celebrating the maker’s hand and mind. We believe that making is not simply about learning new skills or sourcing great materials, but about discovery, exchange and an intimate relationship with materials and practice developed over time that have connected humans for generations.

Each issue connects love of object, material, tradition, practice and skill with a single theme. Inside you’ll find thoughtful essays, art, stories, interviews, and how-tos. Meant to be appreciated and inspiring for makers and lovers of handmade alike, the writings and projects are carefully selected to appeal to lovers of any medium or makers of any skill level.

Technologically speaking, Hand and Hand is a bit of a throwback. Rather than relying on Apple’s Newsstand or the Kindle marketplace for distribution, Hand and Hand is sold (for $10 a piece) as a good ol’ PDF—which is, rather counter-intuitively, kind of revolutionary for a digital magazine. The fabulous thing about this format, something that seems to have eluded other publishers, is that it is inherently universal (something that is particularly fitting for this small study of handicraft). You can read it on your desktop, laptop, browser, phone, or tablet—no problem. I personally love reading it on my Kindle iPad app, where I can swipe through it like a book, its beautiful photos and graphics taking up the full screen. The concept of small, independently produced digital publications is beyond thrilling to me—it opens up a world of possibilities that I don’t think have really been explored up to this point. Here’s hoping that this whole digital ‘zine thing will catch on! In the meantime, I’m eagerly anticipating the next installment of Hand and Hand! —Max

handandhand_3

1. Karen E says:

Great article, Max. Let’s hear it for the PDF!

2. Thanks for introducing this new zine, will definitely check it out on my I-pad.

3. Janell says:

I found the purchasing and viewing process as combersome, if not more so, than other digital magazines. I have found that digital magazines available to view as an app the preferable format.

4. This zine looks really neat, but I must admit whenever I see rope knots all I can think of is the Portlandia Knot Store sketch!

5. Jerrica says:

I totally agree with you! I am in love with the digital mag concept! I subscribe to any free
    “e-mags” I can. I can’t get enough of their beautiful design. In fact I would love to get a job designing and developing digital magazines. I’ve always preferred the traditional print media, but I’m very much a tech junkie and have always thought about finding innovative ways to bring the two together, while still maintaining the familiar print aesthetic. Though it may not have caught on quite yet, as technology develops, I see this becoming a HUGE fad taking on new forms.

6. Emily says:

It’s beautiful and filled with amazing projects. Good write up too!

7. Bonnie says:

You mean “eluded,” not “alluded.”

8. jake & heather says:

Great inspiration for all kinds of art.

9. Identiblinds says:

Superb post, great magazine idea and beautifully designed too. Love Carrie and Tim’s portfolios too very talented pair.

10. Tiffany says:

I really support the concept, and the mag looks lovely, but they really need a sub-editor. Some of the writing is quite awful – the article on tie-dye says very little and uses many, many words to say it. If you’re going to do long-copy articles, they have to be worth reading. I don’t regret the $10 I spent to support it, but the product as it currently is doesn’t merit that price.

11. i have not been a fan on digital magazines, but this pdf is fantastic! i’m going to go found my old scouting book & look up all of the knots i learned as a kid :)