DIY Dresser Drawer Hanger

I love it when people take other people’s trash —whether it be on the shelf of a thrift store or in the actual trash— and turn it into treasure. This is exactly what Marta, the writer behind the Barcelona-based 2nd Funniest Thingdid with today’s fabulous DIY project. A self-professed dumpster-diver, Marta likes to go around her neighborhood on junk collection days hunting for treasure. “I think it’s one of the best ways of recycling,” she says, “and one of the most stimulating at a creative level. You never know what you are going to get and afterwards, you have a good time plotting what are you going to turn your findings into.” One such recent finding was a pretty drab dresser drawer. In other hands, this object would be nothing but garbage, but Marta was able to turn it into something useful (and beautiful) again! After a little bit of painting and screwing, this once landfill-bound furniture scrap was given a new life as a lovely entryway hang-it-all—perfect for hanging purses, totes, and jackets! Check out the step-by-step directions after the jump! —Max

• Front side of a drawer
  • Small Brush
  • 2 Handles
  • 2 Close Eyelets
  • Ruler
  • Masking Tape
  • Sponge
  • Wood Drill
  • Different-colored paints
  • Scissors
  • Pen
  • Screwdriver
  • White Spray Paint
  • Putty and a small container to prepare it
  • Old newspapers

1. Remove the drawer pulls and cover any remaining holes with putty.

2. Once the putty has dried, sand over the entire piece and cover any areas you don’t want to paint with masking tape.

3. Spray paint the entire drawer and three handles.

4. Mark the points where you want to place your handles, drill, and insert the handles.

5. With your sponge and scissors, cut out a triangle shape. This will be your stamp for the next step!

6. Apply paint to  your triangle-shaped sponge and stamp the pattern on directly.

drawerhanger_9 drawerhanger_10 drawerhanger_11

8. Place the eyelet bolts on the top side of the drawer back. Hang it up! Presto! A brand new hanger!

1. I have something similar, it’s a piece of old molding with 4 vintage door knobs screwed on it. I hang clothes on it in my dressing room.

2. Rose Duggan says:

I lovee rattan. Can we have Rattan Month?

3. Gosh!! Million thanks for featuring and for your lovely words :)
    You made my day

4. jordane says:

Where can I get that leather handbag. It is so beahtiful.

5. Lorena says:

This tutorial is great! I’m also from Barcelona and it’s amazing how many abandoned treasures you can find!

6. Kellie says:

Oh, this is lovely! I haven’t seen nor thought to upcycle drawers either! Great post!

7. MARTHA says:

What a good idea! I always hide the bags in the closet to avoid them … You’ve convinced me that they can be part of the decor!

8. Elisabeth says:

Please! Where is the bag from?

9. Jordane, Elisabeth, I’m afraid the bag is not available any more…I bought it at Mango about 10 years ago!!!

10. Lin says:

Hi, i can’t help noticing the leather bag… it is so attractive and looks quite durable. … and the hanger is just great.. Thanks for sharing….

11. Joy says:

Really nifty idea! And fun too! Great job.