Christopher White’s “Revitalized Artistry”

revitalized_artistry_1

As somebody who is in the middle of renovating a house, I am learning that there are few things a nice coat of fresh white paint can’t fix. Well, that and a little elbow grease. This is a design truth that Christopher White, a junior Marketing major at the University of Georgia seems to have a firm grasp on. An avid appreciator of midcentury furniture, Christopher began his rehabbed furniture business, Revitalized Artistry, as a bit of a hobby. Taking furniture that has been weathered and disheveled over time, he puts in the love, labor, and time it needs to return to its former glory. He says,

Last summer this project began from a culmination of several curiosities. I enjoy finding abused furniture and bringing it back to life in which the original character can shine through. I take great pride in the recycling of these pieces. Many pieces I find in this state are broken down, but certainly repairable. During restoration, I like to infuse my own style within the detail of each piece.

His latest line of spruced up midcentury beauties has been dubbed “The White Collection.” In addition to restoring ragged and beaten wood, Christopher has added a beautiful coat of bone white paint to elements, creating a wonderful contrast with the original material. Applying paint to vintage furniture can sometimes be controversial, but Christopher’s obvious veneration for his source material definitely shows through—the white acts to enhance, not hide, the object’s original beauty. Check out more photos of Christopher’s work and some awesome Before & After shots after the jump! —Max

revitalized_artistry_2

revitalized_artistry_4 revitalized_artistry_5 revitalized_artistry_before revitalized_artistry_before2 revitalized_artistry_3

1. Meagan says:

Gaaaaaaah! I’m in love. With inanimate objects. These are fantastic.

2. Sheila says:

So often I see paint used to cover up damage, etc. and in the process much of the original design is either obscured or made to appear garish. Not so here, where the original coolness of these pieces comes shining through. Just gorgeous!

3. Azil0324 says:

Yes sometimes it might be controversial to paint furniture because people think once painted it looses value, but I rather have any piece from this collection. It’s the perfect combination.

4. Wow! What an amazing difference! Not only does it give the furniture a new lease of life, but it also gives it a bit of personality. Wish I had them in my house!

5. These are beautiful, love them all.

6. Maggie says:

This is painting mid-century furniture done RIGHT. It seems the wood is damaged to the point where the fresh coat of white does wonders, and the paint is tastefully applied so as to accentuate the architectural details of these classic pieces, rather than obscure it. So much better than slapping a sheet of concrete on top of a fabric-covered monstrosity ;)

7. Krista says:

I”m in love with this look right now – great work!

8. Lauren says:

These are really beautiful! Just last weekend I refinished a dresser I bought for $30 in a similar style. The post might be helpful if you’re inspired by Christopher and want to try upgrading something yourself!

9. Kathi says:

simply fabulous !!!

10. Gienah Ghurab says:

I want the wooden rhino!

11. jessica says:

these pieces are simply fantastic + the slight make-over via paint is beautiful! i love all of them, great job – they still have their classic lines + vintage feel, with a breath of fresh air added. we have several vintage pieces at red that have been repurposed, or touched up + given new life for a new home.

12. Derek says:

The furniture is great, but that rhino. I want that.

13. AC says:

Love love love love love his work. Well done, Christopher!

14. Agreed.
    Brilliant.
    I have adopted this same aesthetic; salvage whatever wood can be, and give the rest of the piece a clean simple white to showcase the wood.

15. Annie says:

Great work-his thinking is in align with our work. Beautiful restoration!

16. SUSAN says:

The furniture is beautiful. Paint gives old furniture a fresh, new look.

17. erinberry says:

This is painting wood done right! Really highlights the design elements instead of obscuring them.

18. Anni says:

The transformation is amazing! Respectful to the original piece while making it usable again… inspiring stuff!

19. Kim says:

Love this idea! You can still find similar pieces down here in the South pretty reasonably priced. I may have to try it. Great job!

20. Debbie Carter Rowell says:

Very nice work-You do such an awesome job!!!!!!!

21. These are really lovely and turned out well!

22. He does some amazing work. Incredible inspiration for our own furniture refinishing projects! Thanks for sharing.