Before & After: A Midcentury Nightstand Gets A Geometric Update

When Reeves, a 19-year old college student and the blogger behind The Weathered Door, found this vintage modern nightstand on Craigslist, she assumed that it would be a simple sand-n-stain job to get it back into shape. Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, the piece had deep-set stains that no amount of refinishing would hide and a back that wasn’t even wood! Rather than tossing in the rag on this lovely little thing, Reeves decided to give it a good ol’ paint makeover. Armed with a photograph from Elle Decoration and a few cans of paint, Reeves gave this somewhat ragged nightstand a beautiful update that is current while still keeping its stylistic roots in mind. She writes,

The drawer took about 3 days just because each triangle required 3 coats, plus enough time to dry and cure so that when I taped the next part, the other color would not peel off. I used my trusty Frog Tape (the regular green one, not the delicate yellow type). Frog Tape is pretty good at creating clean lines and not letting paint seep under, but before I did a color I used a thin coat of poly. If any of the poly seeped under, it is clear and won’t show. It creates a barrier, so I got very clean lines. A couple small spots peeled when I had to tape over them, but at the end I just sanded it a bit and touched it up with a small paint brush.

The drawer got 3 thin coats of poly, and the nightstand got 2 coats. I kept the original hardware since it has two screws, so it would be hard to find something new to fit. I think it works though. I definitely see this in a boys room as a nightstand. I really love the way it turned out!

I’ve gotta say that I do, too! Check out more photos of this cute, affordable geometric upgrade after the jump! —Max

1. Wow, she did an amazing job, looks great.

2. Only 19 years old? Do we have a new diamond in the rough?? Love shapes and color combination

3. Kate says:

I love that blue color. So beautiful.

4. Anna says:

Nice project and really clean lines! This gives me inspiration for a cabinet that has great lines, but the materials aren’t top notch. I really like the colours as well…

5. this is gorgeous. love the triangular front on the drawer!!!

6. Vanessa says:

Is Reeves in an art program? Excellent execution!

7. YP says:

Beautiful result, very patience person too

8. This is inspiring me to do something special to my old nightstands. Beautiful!

9. Courtney says:

Really nice job here! I do love the natural woods but this is an amazing alteration when there was no alternative! Good work.

10. Natalie says:

Great job, looks so modern and can’t believe how clean the lines are!

11. Hollie says:

LOVE that she kept the original knob! Good choice!

12. I am in love with the little peek-a-boos of wood! Now that is how you successfully use paint.

13. I love the attention to detail with the wood in one triangle and the original knob. Very nicely done.

14. RODRIGO says:

I really love this. Black is a nice complement to The drawer.

15. Grace says:

16. Grace says:

Love the color combination and style! New hardware maybe? I always update thrift pieces with vintage reproduction hardware from Look in the Attic and Company

17. Nevica says:

a very nice makeover. I also really like the original ‘before’!

18. Rhonda May says:

I love the colors.

19. Eva says:

It is so amazing how a tranformation can change the look of a furniture that most think is for rubish

20. Love this! If only I had that awesome craftmanship…

21. Lizi says:

Did you have to sand it all first? Thanks for sharing!

22. Lizi- I did have to sand the top where the finish was peeling a little bit (I did it quick with an electric sander), but everywhere else I just quickly hand sanded to give the paint something to stick to. I probably spent 5 mins for the whole piece!

23. Susie says: