Before & After: A Midcentury Desk Gets A Fresh New Look

midcenturydesk_ba_1

We have been seeing furniture makeovers that utilize white paint everywhere recently. Just last week, we highlighted some of the awesome white-painted midcentury furniture by Christopher White. Today, we’re highlighting another midcentury piece that got a similar treatment. Purchased on craigslist by Meg Caven, this desk had awesome bones, but some details that were a little less than ideal. Meg writes,

[I loved] the  lines and sculpted handles, but not loving the contrast between the Formica top and veneered sides and drawer-fronts.  A little research leads me to believe that the desk is a Johnson Carper.  I sanded, stained, and polyurethaned the drawers, and painted the desk’s body a high-gloss white. Really happy with the way it turned out.

We really do, too! This is another fantastic example of how paint can elevate a beautiful piece of furniture without detracting from its original design. Here, the glossy white acts as a wonderful framing device for the desk’s drawers, highlighting their newly-refinished forms. Check out a few more photos of this beautiful, understated makeover after the jump! —Max

midcenturydesk_ba_2

midcenturydesk_ba_3

1. Really like how this makeover still preserves (and actually highlights) the lines of this piece!

2. Jaime says:

Love it!

3. I really love that she kept the drawers the natural color and the white just makes them look even better.

4. Suzy says:

Love it! I absolutely love mid-century furniture. I scored a long dresser for $35 last year for my son and can’t wait to find more.

Vintage Amore

5. iris says:

This looks absolutely stunning!

6. Sarah C. says:

Love the stain color. Care to share?

7. amanda says:

Pretty pretty pretty, I want one just like it!

8. Nikki says:

I have a dresser that looks very similar, and had the same idea for! However, I’ve been going back and forth about how I will attempt to sand and stain/paint. Any good tips for working with Formica and veneer?

9. The first thing that came to mind…oooohhhhh snap! This looks amazing!

10. I love this trend! The white is just so refeshing and sympathetic to the piece.

11. Wow, nice work, it looks like a completely different piece of furniture. I want it!

12. quite the transformation! love the new look.

13. It looks amazing. Well done!

14. Wonderful up-cycled piece. I’d love to carry this piece at my store.

15. Yvonne says:

I hate to say it, but I like the before better. The after is nice as well, but it feels like sacrilege it ruin such a beautiful old desk.