A Modern Chicago Home Made Personal Through Design

Interior designer Shelby Girard has lived in this apartment in the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago for only 11 months. When she moved in, she immediately loved the great natural light, high ceiling and open kitchen. Because of the orientation of the apartment, you can see both the sunrise and sunset in the space. Shelby works for an interior design start-up, Havenly, that offers accessible and affordable design services. And she put her budget decorating skills to work when it came to decorating this space. The apartment is a blend of new and old with a lot of DIY thrown in. Shelby says that she always tries to curate meaningfully and bring in things that are practical but beautiful. She doesn’t like superfluous decoration so tries to incorporate objects that have either a personal history or are found or reclaimed. The result is a modern home that feel personal and warm. Thanks, Shelby!  And thanks to Joshua Clark for the lovely photos! -Amy

Image above: This is where we lounge. The sofa and Arco lamp are from a super discount furniture warehouse in Illinois. The tables are from T.F.A. in St. Louis. The pillows are from West Elm and CB2, and the rug is from Ebay. My grandfather Frank Girard was an artist and most of the artwork in our apartment is his. This one, called White Relief, won first place in the 1964 Missouri Art Show.

Image above: Above our bed is another Frank Girard abstract. This one was hanging outside at my grandparents home for years so is a bit “rustic.” The black and white throw blanket and pillows are IKEA, as are the nightstands which I stained and updated with Anthropologie knobs. The lamps originally had white shades I painted black and the bases I made from fabric.

love most

See more of this Chicago home after the jump!

Image above: The dining table is made from a cedar door that was in the attic of my parent’s old home. The table legs are IKEA and the dining chairs are Room and Board. I love how our kitchen is open to the rest of the living area since I do a lot of cooking.

Image above: This giraffe has been hit with a lot of cooking grease. The print is by Sharon Montrose from The Animal Print Shop. The ikat patterned bowls are Anthropologie and the fabric around the planter is an old tapestry.

Image above:  The mason jar and copper vases are from my dad’s farm.

Image above: Another one of my grandfather’s paintings hangs above our kitchen peninsula. The marble board is from Home Goods and the bowl holding lemons is Nate Berkus for Target. That’s me drinking coffee out of my favorite mug.

Image above: We turned the second bedroom into a studio space since we are both designers. The cowhide is from Ebay.

Image above: The acrylic shelves are from the Container Store and are displaying a collection of models made by ch. The lamp is from Brownstone Antiques in Chicago and has been painted black and gold.

Image above: The antique mirrors are two of my favorite items in our home and I love how they reflect the artwork on the facing wall. They are both from Treasure Aisles Antique Mall in St. Louis. The TV stand is IKEA and the vertical shelf is from CB2.

Image above: The bull skull is from Woolly Mammoth Antiques and Oddities in Chicago. The branding iron was a gift.

Image above: The bird is another Sharon Montrose print. We picked up the white quartzite on a hike near Taliesin West in Arizona.

Image above: We designed and made our bed frame ourselves with wood and stain from Home Depot, mid-century legs from Etsy and antique hardware.

Image above: My Dad bought a bust of Robert E. Lee at an auction thinking it was Sigmund Freud. Now he wears my necklaces. The dresser is from the Miriam Foundation in St. Louis and the artwork is by my grandfather Frank Girard.

Image above: We made this lamp from old photography monopods and an IKEA lampshade. The artwork is by my grandfather.

Image above: The bathroom towels are from Home Goods and the wall paint is Sherwin Williams Gray Clouds.

Image above: The mugs are Anthropologie. The bird is another Sharon Montrose print, and the print of the girl is by my good friend Morgan Levy, a very talented photographer.

Image above: The wall paint in the living room, bedroom, and studio is Glidden Bright White.

1. Carol Soules says:

awesome!!!!

2. What a great place and filled with so much personality and charm.

3. Carol Soules says:

Awesome!!!! So open and airy and creative touches everywhere. I’m inspired.

4. What a cool home with awesome style!

5. Kristen says:

I am totally amazed by this home – I love how everything has a story and how that leads to such simple, condensed design. Definitely an inspiration!

6. Liliane Inglez says:

Lovely! It has a lot of personality!

7. Yates says:

Her grandfather’s pieces are incredible.

8. Amy says:

Do you care to give the name of the super discount furniture warehouse in Illinois?

9. Gorgeous Chicago space!

10. Breanne says:

where is the super discount furniture store in Illinois? I’m also in Chicago and would love to find a similar, affordable sofa and lamp!

11. Ariel says:

Woolly Mammoth is one of my very favorite shops in Chicago. I found these amazing printed felt banners from an old parochial school there and gave them to my mom as a birthday gift; unfortunately they freaked her out a little too much for her to hang them in the house (she does not have the greatest memories of her own parochial school education) so I took them back for myself!

12. Isabelle says:

Best use of gray and neutrals I’ve seen in a long time.

13. thebluehaiku says:

Aw I love this place! Extra happy to see that it’s in my neighborhood too AND features art from a WashU alum.

14. Sonia says:

this is one of the nicest houses ever! Very similar to my own personal style!!

15. RK says:

Beautiful! Especially your grandfather’s art. What is the super discount furniture warehouse in Illinois?

16. That bed you made is incredible. I love your home. Really beautiful touches.

17. Dana says:

Great Apt. My FAVORITE thing about your home is your grandfather’s artwork! It is so awesome! When did he paint these?

18. JO BABY says:

Wow – your grandfather’s art is amazing! So is your lovely home. How nice to have them complementing each other.

19. JoAnna says:

What is the super discount furniture store in Illinois called? I want to check it out and live in the Chicago area.

20. june says:

what great handmade design elements like the lamp and the bed. this home feels cozy and not overly designed yet very thoughtful in its arrangements.

21. Dominique says:

I love all of the Art, her space is truly unique!

22. Kimberly says:

One of my very favorite home tours. Love!!

23. Fran says:

Love it Shelby…and to believe I knew you when….
    just a kid in Gulf Shores!

24. Renee Ozer says:

What a long line of elegant, creative people this family has produced! Had to laugh imagining the shock of getting a Freud bust home, taking a closer look and discovering (gasp!) Robert E. Lee. Sharon Montrose is also an amazing dog photographer: http://www.sharonmontrose.com/

25. Rita says:

I usually like houses filled with more color, but I really like this house!

26. Anni says:

Oh my, so many clever ideas & styling to steal! I love all of it!

27. Greco says:

Oh, wow, you have a really lovely home.
    Your grandfather’s works – all of them – are fantastic.

28. Kat says:

I’m in Chicago and NEED that Sofa! what Super Discount Furniture Store source Please ??

29. The whole house place is fantastic, but I especially love what Shelby did with styling the kitchen to make it look current. So impressed!
    Camille

30. Lori says:

I absolutely love your grandfather’s artwork. Are his paintings available to purchase?