Nicole Taylor’s Cherokee Rose Pound Cake

• Rose season is just winding down, but this week’s recipe for a Cherokee Rose Pound Cake by food maven and host of Hot Grease on Heritage Radio network, Nicole Taylor, is one more way to keep the rose around.  I had the immense pleasure of meeting Nicole in mid-April.  We had a mini food tour of a few blocks of Brooklyn, and it was so great to hear Nicole’s passion for food and Southern food culture, and her knowledge of the New York food scene.  People like Nicole make me want to live in New York so bad it hurts my heart!    Like many of the guests here on the column, I’d love to be Nicole’s neighbor, in hopes of being invited over for dinner every now and then!  Nicole’s recipe for Cherokee Rose Pound Cake is based on the state flower from her home state.  It is a moist dense cake with a delicate rose flavor which is hard to resist!  –Kristina

About Nicole: Georgia-native Nicole A. Taylor has been an artisan candy maker, an activist, and a social media maven, and is currently the host of Hot Grease, a progressive food culture radio program on Heritage Radio Network and principal of NAT Media. A member of Food Systems Network NYC, Southern Foodways Alliance, Black Urban Growers (BUGs), and a frequent panelist at New York City food events. Nicole worked for the Brooklyn Food Coalition, raised funds for the Urban Justice Center through the Vendy Awards, instructed a GED and internship program that weaves in urban farming and now facilitates media literacy programs for The LAMP.  This Spring, Nicole is a guest blogger for Southern Foodways Alliance. Her most recent amazing food experiences have been in Richmond, Virginia, and Melbourne, Australia.  You can hear all about them on her weekly radio show.  Visit our archives for Nicole’s rice and harissa chickpeas recipe.

(Above, some roses from my yard)

See Nicole’s cake recipe after the jump.

Cherokee Rose Pound Cake

Serves 14

For the cake:

• 1.5    cups of butter or 3 sticks, (1 tablespoon for bundt pan)
    • 1    cup of cream cheese or an 8 ounce package
    • 3    cups of granulated sugar
    • 6    large eggs
    • 3    cups of all purpose sifted flour, (4 tablespoons for bundt pan)
    • 2   teaspoons of rosewater

For the icing:

• ¼    cup of cooled rosebud tea
    • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
    • 2    cups powdered sugar (icing sugar)
    • 1    tablespoon of buttermilk

garnish with Cherokee roses

1. Preheat oven to three hundred and twenty five degrees. Butter and flour a nine inch bundt pan. Set aside.
    2. Make tea according to instructions.  Combine cooled tea, sugar and buttermilk. Set aside.
    3. Using a stand or hand mixer, cream butter and cream cheese.
    4. Gradually add sugar and beat until fluffy.
    5. Slowly add eggs; one at a time.
    6. In stages, incorporate sifted flour in but do not overbeat.
    7. Put vanilla and rosewater in mixture (the batter will be thick). Transfer into pan.   Cooking time is around one hour and 30 minutes. Use the toothpick method to test doneness.
      Let cool in pan and then convert to cooling rack.
    8. To make the icing, mix all ingredients together until smooth.  You may have some lumps of powdered sugar if you do not sift it before using it (as pictured), but that will not affect the taste!
    9. Pour glaze over cake and garnish with Cherokee Rose (state flower of Georgia).

Why Nicole loves this recipe

Pound cake is my true love and the origin of my dessert obsession. My first baking experience included a beat up pan and this simple recipe. Over the years, I’ve made flavor and glaze modifications to create something more special.

1. Julia Chance says:

So happy to see my neighbor Nicole covered here! Thanks Kristina. Looking forward to trying her cake recipe.

2. Candi says:

Yum….pound cakes are my favorite…served warm straight from the oven! Love the idea of rose water glaze…can’t wait to try this one.

3. LuAnne Campbell says:

This is a beautiful cake – simple and old-fashioned! I cannot wait to make it this weekend.

4. Sheryl says:

This sounds so great! An idea I had: adding a little bit of powdered hibiscus extract to the icing for a natural pink hue, and maybe a little lemon? I like a tangy icing… :)

5. Katharine M says:

I loved Nicole’s chickpea recipe a few months back and I love floral flavored anything, so I’m SO excited about this cake! After seeing these two things, I think I’d cook anything this woman comes up with. I’d love to see more of her on DS!

6. Kim says:

That’s a beautiful cake tin as well. Any idea who it’s by or where it’s sold?

7. kristina says:

Hi Kim,

It’s a Nordic Ware non-stick pan made so that you can cut perfectly even slices! It was a gift from a friend many years ago. It appears as though it has been discontinued, but maybe you can find on ebay?

8. tara mangini says:

I wish I was eating this cake right now. But at least I can feast on these gorgeous photographs! I’m in love.

9. Beautiful photos, love the little roses sprinkled around the cake.

10. carlita says:

this looks sooooo delicious, have to try. Thank you!!

11. Sophie says:

Tried this…tastes good but be careful with that rosewater because the taste can get overpowering.

12. nile says:

Could I do this with Gluten free flour? Has anyone ventured a beautiful cake like this Gluten free?

13. Ash says:

I made this cake for thanksgiving and my family raved!!! It really was one of the best cakes I’ve ever tasted!

14. Ash says:

Oh, and to Nile, I used gluten free all purpose flour and it worked (and tasted) like a dream!

15. Ruth says:

The steps call to add vanilla to the cake, but the ingredients list only mentions vanilla in the icing, not the cake. Am I missing something?