Cabrillo Pendant

Speaking of my new apartment, one of the rooms I’m most excited about is the kitchen. It’s got two windows, which means in the morning it’s flooded with sunlight and a great place (to attempt) to grow plants and herbs. I haven’t done anything to the space yet, but I know exactly which pendant I want. I saw this beautiful rattan pendant at Serena & Lily when we went on our Montauk trip last week. I haven’t been able to get it out of my head, so it may be the first thing I buy for the new space. Although I’m worried it may be a tad too big for this space. But I’m going to measure and see. It’s just so beachy and pretty. I think switching out lighting in a rental (in addition to painting) is the best thing you can do. Most NYC apartments have the dreaded boob lights (see above) and those things are just begging to be replaced. I can’t imagine the kitchen would mind a little upgrade to something a little more exciting. Click here to check out the Cabrillo pendant and order online ($195). xo, grace

1. What a find! Can’t wait to see how the new pendant looks in your kitchen!

2. Yes this would look perfect. Never thought to call it the boob light! Pretty funny because that’s exactly what they look like.

3. hahaha I’m so glad I just began following your blog and this was the first thing I saw. I absolutely hate my “boob” light as well. I think the pendant would look very nice!

4. RinT says:

BOOB lighting you are so right, I live in rentals due to being an expat and when my twins were born they could not get their eyes off the boob lights, it really confused them.
    I switched one of our horrid boob lights over our kitchen table for a PH5 Louis Poulsen. Lighting is a good way to make a space your own in a rental. The twins like it too, looks like a real lamp.

5. Ha! That’s so funny, those things are universally known as boob lights! I have some in my office, and I HATE them. Someeday we’ll switch out ours too, someday…

6. Kate says:

It’s going to look great in that space! Great space for plants too!

7. Catherine says:

At $195 that’s a bargain! When we moved in here we swapped out the hideous pretend brass circa 1982 dining room hanging light for a vintage cut glass beauty for $400!! Yikes. I still gasp every time I look at it. I think your rattan pendant will be perfect!

8. I’m really excited about a house tour of your apartment ! I still remember the last one, and I’m looking forward to seeing how your style has evolved after a few years ! (we’re going to get a tour, right ?)

Nice lamp by the way.

1. Grace Bonney says:

anne-

yes, eventually ;)

g

9. Christine says:

I too am super excited for an eventual new apartment house tour. It is fun getting to see little snippets on instagram in the meantime. When we bought our house it had three of the dreaded boob lights. One in the hallway and two in the kitchen. We are so much happier having switched them out for vintage schoolhouse lights.

10. That is going to look great! Can’t wait for the future home tour : )

11. M.K. says:

I have one of those “boob” lights outside my front door and have wanted to change it out since I moved in…

12. nancy-sen says:

isnt it tough to have a rug like that in the kitchen – from a practical perspective it doesnt make sense to me atleast….
    lovely rug though, i have to say.

1. Grace Bonney says:

nancy

nope, it’s been really easy for me. they shake out really well, i just shake it outside once a week.

grace

13. Meg Myers says:

My ceiling needs a mastectomy, BAD, is there already a tutorial on how to make the swap from boob to pendant?

14. Laura says:

I’m on a constant hunt for a solution for our living room. We love everything about our apartment except a little lack of storage space and NO LIGHT in the livingroom. That is the most used room in our home and it’s like living and working in a cave. The problem is that we floor lamps don’t give enough all-over light to the large room and there is no overhead lighting already in the space. We aren’t allowed to get an electrician in to rip up the ceiling and stick some wires in there. So what do we do? Alas, the problems of renting!

15. Bree says:

So happy I stumbled upon your website while looking for DIY pendant light ideas for our bedroom. It’s full of fresh ideas and excellent style! Thank you! :)