BEST OF: STUDIO APARTMENTS

by

For the past 5+ years I’ve reached out to hundreds of creative people around the world to share their homes in a “sneak peek.” Many a time I’ve heard the response, “but my home is too small to feature.” Au contraire! Here are a handful of the studios we’ve shared throughout the years that prove that a home doesn’t have to be big to be beautiful. When possible I’ve shared the floor plans that the owners shared with us.  Be sure to click on each peek to see the full version and get a true sense of the space. –Anne

Image above: Michael Freimuth’s Brooklyn apartment uses canvas tracking that separates the bedroom makes the space feel that much bigger — plus it’s saved him several times on those untidy-bedroom-meets-unscheduled-dinner-party occasions. Floor plan showcases the use of space.

Image above: The zones inside Kelli Anderson and Daniel Dunnam’s Brooklyn studio blend into each other and are multi-functional.

See more studio apartments after the jump!

Image above: Kate Bingaman-Burt and Clifton Burt prove that you can still rock color in a small space. The secret to living in a small space is to be efficient in how it’s used.

Image above: While technically Jessica Walsh’s bedroom is in her living room, her studio still feels sophisticated.

Image above: Lotta Nieminen lived in a 367sf apartment in Helsinki.

Image above: When Lotta Nieminen moved to New York, she didn’t gain much space. (See floor plan immediately below).

Image above: Based on the photos you’d never know how small Diva of Linea Carta‘s Berkeley bungalow apartment is, but see the floor plan below as proof of good use of space.

Image above: Kirra Jamison and Dane Lovett may have a more spacious studio in Australia, but it’s a good reminder that good natural light can help any space look good.

Image above: Anne Ulku lives and works out of her Minneapolis studio. (See floor plan below).

Image above: Caitlin and Eric Flemming’s San Francisco studio is high on class, even if it’s tight on space.

Image above: Sarah Caniot and Nicolas Grandmaison were able to acquire two studios and connected them with a set of stairs that leads to their workspace.

Image above: Ann Wood’s Brooklyn studio is where she both lives and works. Amazing detailing on the floors, walls and doors helps bring it alive.

Image above: Richenda Brim of Clementine Press also has great details in her studio.

Image above: Anna Campà and Gerard Calm’s Barcelona studio loft draws in great light.

Image above: Max Darby of Dvider showcases how space saving solutions can help you maximize space.

1. Great post. Love to see how clever people can be with small spaces. Great idea with the canvas curtain.

2. Love these ideas for a small space! Great info and smart designs!

3. M.K. says:

I have to wait and read through this post when I get home but just wanted to comment and say how excited to see studio apts being posted! I live in a 1-room apt in Boston and have had a hard time figuring out how to delineate the space. Thank you in advance!

4. Emilia says:

Love these small but fab spaces. I think it takes a heck of a lot of creativity to be able to utilise a small space and make it not only functional and liveable but also funky and fabulous to live in. Making the most of what you have in any given situation takes some creativity.

5. Thanks so much for the ‘small space, big ideas’ inspiration! These are so lovely and don’t seem cramped at all, just cosy and homely.

6. Meg says:

These are fantastic. All such beautiful spaces.

7. susan says:

I love seeing creative solutions for small spaces!

8. Thanks for the studio shout out! Also, THANK YOU for this post. We are gearing up to paint our place and do a mega rearrange, so these studios will be super inspiring as I try to figure out what the heck to do!

9. Polly says:

Thanks for this post! Such great ideas and the photos show that small homes can still be beautiful homes! As a student hoping to move out into my own place in London still, know I’ll be returning to this post when it comes to looking for inspiration! X

10. Lauren Lou says:

Ummm, that ship on the fabric and the little wire bats – amazing! My 37sq appart feels so ill-used now! Nice, inspiring wrap-up! xx

11. Beautiful, I LOVE small spaces : )

12. Meghan says:

I love how the spaces are divided, so stunning .

13. Nataya says:

Small home is what inspiring especially the storage solution and how to decor it with personal favorite pieces without looking chaos. And it’s nice to see the layout sketch. Great post

14. Love this post, so much beauty in such small spaces. You don’t need much!

15. Alexis says:

I love all these places! I just wish this post was 4 years earlier when I was first buying my 600 sq ft condo in Nashville. It’s amazing how little space one really needs…I grew to love living in such a small place.

16. All these spaces are so beautiful…sigh….green with envy!

17. These all have great use of space. I noticed a lot of interesting art pieces in the pictures as well.

Very well done!