Before & After: Bar Cart Makeover

Despite the New York Times’ claim that bar carts are purely a piece of hipster furniture du jour, I think they’re classic. Whether you’re a nightly cocktail drinker or just want to be able to entertain when others come over, a good bar cart is equal parts form and function. And for some reason, they seem to be so easy to find in thrift stores these days. This bar cart makeover comes from Haley Beham who picked up this bar cart from a friend who found it at a garage sale. It was missing a top and needed a lot of TLC, so Haley did some intense sanding and then used Bejamin Moore’s Advance paint in White Dove to give it a fresh look. Then she added Rub N’ Buff Gold Leaf to give it extra detailing and voila- a brand new bar cart. With summer flea markets and garage sales starting to pop up everywhere, this project is a great idea for anyone who needs a little weekend DIY inspiration. xo, grace

More “after” pictures continue after the jump…

1. Catherine says:

That’s gorgeous and a home without a bar, well, I just don’t know what to say about that. :)

2. Jill says:

It’s a lovely piece. What a huge effort – but clearly worth it. Can you give some tips on the process you used to get such a lovely glossy smooth paint job? I have not been able to achieve that look.

3. Maya says:

Oh dear – I l.o.v.e this! It’s beautiful, truly pleasing. Thanks for finishing off my day with this loveliness.

4. ashley says:

Beautiful. Wonderful transformation.

5. Oh, how I love this piece!

6. Michele T says:

Wow! Hard to believe it is one and the same!! Amazing!!

7. Unbelievable! What a gorgeous job..I love the styling in the after shots:)

8. Jacquie says:

Call me impressed! That is one snazzy bar cart – well done Haley.

9. Emma-Lee says:

I LOVE the bar cart, and LOVE the print above it – where is it from?

10. Mary Wiseman says:

This is brilliant! And what storage…beautiful!

11. sherrie says:

Great makeover. Gold accents really make it. Very inspiring.

12. rebecca says:

nicely done… but what color is the wall paint???

13. Cindy says:

What a great example of a properly painted wood piece! I’ve seen so many whacky paint jobs lately where the idea seems to be “more is more”… but this is so simple, clean and classy. Well done.

14. Tracy says:

I also love this cart!! And Haley, did you use some sort of sander to help achieve that lovely glossy finish, or old-fashioned elbow grease with a piece of sandpaper and a sanding block? Truly, it’s an inspiration!

15. France Geek says:

Fabulous! How did you have the top made? And like everyone, I want to know how you got the smooth glossy finish!

16. karin says:

inspiring to make and enjoy drinks

17. Turned out great! The Paint looks very shiny which I like. Now I just need to find my own bar cart to spruce up!

18. Stacy says:

That’s a WOW!

19. Melissa W. says:

Love the cart and makeover… but it makes me crazy when every bar cart I see on the internet has open vermouth sitting out, people need to keep that in the fridge: it’s wine!

20. Ariana says:

The paint she used is amazing. I am using it right now for a project. That paint + a good brush mean that you can barely see brush marks.

21. Ava says:

To Emma-Lee: I have that same print, it’s called Natural history of birds” by Cavallini Papers. You can buy it at Amazon:

22. Sue says:

Makes me want to hit the estate sales and thrift shops.

23. Mea says:

What’s the wall color in the after photo?

24. Just Zed says:

25. Diva T says:

Oooo lala…Cosmo please. Well done! I would also like to know what lovely shade of grey/gray is on the walls in the photos.

26. Emiliana says:

Wonderful job

27. Ji-Yun says:

Great job!!!
    I have 50s Loungechair which i also renew the whole of it.
    It is always a great feeling if they look after better then before.

Best regards