Before & After: A Brisbane Kitchen Goes from Blah to Bright And Breezy

We’ve been seeing a ton of white in interiors recently and, while some might consider it an over-utilized (non)color, it has a tendency to immediately heighten and brighten any room it’s applied to. There seems to be a trend towards simple, pared down aesthetics over the past few years and white certainly lends itself to this—especially within the kitchen realm where any superfluous material or color can add to a sense of incoherence and clutter. This Brisbane kitchen, recently renovated by jewelry designer Christina Lowry, is a wonderful example of what white can do for a space. Faced with a cramped, beige-colored kitchenspace in a home that formerly functioned as a rental, Christina opted to open the space up both in terms of physical layout and color. A distracting and isolating wall was removed and lovely, bead board cabinetry was installed in place of its dreary predecessor. Chunky, square backsplash tiles were also swapped out for a more elegant subway tile, adding a subtle contrast to the bead board’s vertical lines. The final result is a simple kitchen where one can think clearly and really get down to the tasks at hand. Check out more photos of this fabulous transformation after the jump. To read more about Christina’s home renovation, check out her blog here! —Max

1. Christine says:

Simple and clean. I really like the white appliances too. I’m happy people are starting to not feel like they need to have stainless appliances anymore. Our house came with a brand new black fridge and dishwasher. When we redid our kitchen (in a black and white theme) we did get a new stainless stove and microwave but tried to get ones with a lot of black on them so they would go with the existing appliances and tie into the rest of the kitchen.

2. What a difference! I love it.

3. Leslie says:

Very nice. I’m very scared of all white rooms but I think I could handle a kitchen like this.

4. Beautiful! Love the clean white tile and cabinets paired with the dark flooring!

5. Kate Bartho says:

And the baby is simply adorable, just enjoying the open space!

6. Oh man I cannot wait to re-do my kitch!

7. Sam says:

Dark red wood floors (Jatoba, Jarrah, Santos Mahogany) have been the scorn of the industry for the last few years. I’m seeing them pop back up now and again, maybe we’ve turned a corner.

8. janerd says:

Does anyone else ALWAYS want to see more “during” photos?? Oh oh! What about before and after layout plans? Especially with the kitchens!

9. Eco Handyman says:

It looks great! A lot of white, but really nice!

10. Hi just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know
    a few of the pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I
    think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

11. Charlotte says:

Psst, you’ve spelt it “Brizbane” in the post ;)

Also, yay, awesome to see a nice reno from my city! Looks lovely.

12. Vanessa says:

So nice and clean! I like the simplicity of the island and the fact that you took down walls. Great eye.

13. Josh Brancek says:

Wow, what a transformation!!!

14. Anna says:

Psst… It’s also ‘spelled’ not spelt. Love all white kitchens!

15. France Geek says:

What’s a Brisbane kitchen?

16. Not the most startling change but I do like the After version. I guess the idea is to be minamilistic and it’s a good effort. Man, I really should be a designer. I think I could pull the lingo off (even if the end product would be a disaster).

17. Sarah says:

What is the countertop material?

18. love seeing before and after posts! This white kitchen turned out amaze!

19. Rob says:

Such an amazing transformation, looks beautiful!

20. Fiona says:

Frances Geek – Brisbane is a city in Australia, about half way along the east coast. About 1000km north of Sydney, about 500km south of the Great Barrier Reef.

21. Lovely to see my kitchen on Design*Sponge. Thanks so much! Cheers for the lovely comments too. Still a few finishing touches in order – a blind, stools, light fittings – but a definite improvement and such a great space to cook in. :)

PS. Sarah, the bench tops are stone.

22. This is a really good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
    Simple but very precise info… Thanks for sharing this one.

A must read post!

23. Elizabeth says:

Truly a light and happy space! I think that white makes it’s cyclical comeback when we have been overloaded with layers of decorating. A clean canvas, a clean drawing board, sun-bleached sheets in the wind, it’s all just a fresh start, free of visual clutter. And, while I’m not comfortable in a houseful of all-white walls personally, I’m repainting rooms in white-based with a breath of color shades too. It makes artwork more visible, and as you say, the kitchen is now a great place to cook some Happy Meals!

24. That’s a lovely renovation. I still love the cleanliness and light of all-white kitchens, and this is sweet, homey and has a great layout. Plus as an Aussie, I always get extra-excited to see Australian homes on Design*Sponge! I love Christine’s comment that people aren’t afraid of white appliances anymore (we have a white fridge – stainless steel just would not have worked in our old kitchen). Great to see. A renovation to be proud of.

25. Bob Warner says:

Beautiful remodel. Not sure if white is my favorite, but I know many people like it.

26. jamesmount says:

Awesome looking Kitchen as well as room, i love it according to me it’s not importance to create awesome a room and kitchen importance is how to maintained it in advice to you please give me some advice to keep kitchen clean and beautiful.. thanks

27. Sam says:

What is the wall color in the kitchen? It makes the white pop.

28. Jill says:

Is there an app for kitchen makeover? I need to upgrade my kitchen but not spend an arm and leg.