A Fun Urban Wedding

The Foundry in Long Island City is one of those great industrial spaces in New York. It was originally a 19th century steel foundry that was abandoned in the 1970s and has since been restored and transformed into an event space. This couple, Abe & Frank, wanted a wedding that was comfortable, fun and full of personality. They worked with Juliet and Sierra at Poppies & Posies and wedding planner José Rolón Events to create something special. To get enough floral impact on each table, Poppies & Posies decided to do a mixture of full centerpieces in mossed terracotta urns flanked by a few vintage bud vases. They used a combination of peonies, clematis, garden roses, and helleborus. The Foundry is a big space so Poppies & Posies brought in antique and vintage items from their prop shop prop shop The Trove and had Patina Vintage Rentals create a lounge area. The rest of the space was filled with vintage trophy cups and other antique vessels brimming with blooms to brighten up each room.  The photo booth backdrop was made from sailing signal flags. Looks like a fun, beautiful day. -Amy

Photography: Scott Clark
Wedding Planner: José Rolón Events
Ceremony & Reception Location: The Foundry
Floral & Design: Poppies & Posies
Vintage Furniture Rental: Patina Vintage Rentals
Props: The Trove
Bartenders: The Clover Club
Wedding Cake: Momofuku Milk Bar
String Quartet: Juilliard Quartet
Calligraphy: Paperfinger

1. That location is amazing. Of course I love all the vintage touches, what a great idea to give the event some personality.

2. YP says:

This is a great venue, it was so nice to see it in full regalia. I am considering it… :)
    Nice jobs guys!

3. Debby says:

Gorgeous!

4. Oh my! What a stunning wedding! I want to get married again!! (with the same person, of course ;)

5. Dorothea says:

Oh my gosh! This looks like it was a spectacular and most beautiful wedding. Congratulations, Abe & Frank! <3

6. Beautifully done! Congratulations and best wishes to the happy couple!

7. Jennifer I. says:

Absolutely beautiful in every detail! I love, love, love the way the venue looks inside. And those flowers….WOW!

8. Emmy says:

Beautiful wedding- and I was wondering why it looked so familiar, and then realized that this is the same place they filmed the season 1 finale of HBO’s Girls (Jessa and Thomas John hold their surprise wedding here). Gorgeous venue.

9. Renate Bennett says:

The pictures are fabulous and I’m so happy I could be there to see it and to help celebrate the union of a great love!

10. alicia says:

cute

11. Marcy Wells says:

Dee-licious — the food, the place, and the wonderful couple! It was wonderful to be a part of the event, and part of your wonderful family!

12. Theresa Cannata-Filera says:

A most spectacular and special day! I am proud to say that I served as a witness for my baby cousin Frank and my handsome new cousin Abram! I love you boys! Thank you for making us a part of your special day!

13. Heather P. says:

Congrats to the adorable couple, and I’m totally loving the venue! Such a great space!

14. Paperriot says:

It’s perfect! If I ever get married, I would want it to look just like that. And horray for dotted bow-ties! :-)

15. Kacie says:

What a GORGEOUS wedding, and an adorable couple! I love the mix of patterns, textures, and vintagey goodness. It looks so intimate and personal, as I believe weddings should be :)

16. eva says:

whoa, beautiful wedding. Everything looks just gorgeous and not too sweet. Although I enjoyed the über sweetness of Melody’s wedding a lot too. Oh yeah about giving up sugar: I tried this week to give up on coffee during the week but that also proved harder than I thought.

17. There is a rare ease to this wedding and everywhere so many wonderful elements of surprise. And the lively, seasonal, unusual floral choices fill me with delight. Congratulations to the lovely couple all the way from Warsaw, Poland!

18. Chris says:

The best part of this post besides the amazing wedding itself? Is that it was simply called a wedding. Thank you Design Sponge!

19. Becky Burr says:

Oh my!!! So beautiful!!!!! I love the pictures and what a beautiful venue!!!!

20. Paula says:

As a witness, I can assure you it was as fabulous an event as it looked: the venue, the food, the drinks, the flowers, the guests, but most of all: the happiness of the couple and their families.

21. Chris Mayhew says:

These pictures are beautiful, I love how rustic the venue looks and I can almost taste the food through the computer screen.

22. Susan Schwartz says:

I am so pleased to have been at that wedding They call me Mommy 2 and I feel
    like I really am. The wedding was as gorgeous and wonderful as the happy couple. I loved every detail. Gorgeous, Gorgeous and Stunning.

Love you boys. May you have joy and love throughout your lives.

Love, Mommy 2 (Susan Schwartz)