10 Genius Planter DIYs

As much as I love admiring fancy planters, my wallet prefers a more DIY option. And honestly, I agree. Budget or not, I’m definitely in the camp that believes it’s more fun to make than to buy. If only there was a way that I could also DIY a green thumb.  –Amy

(We have more DIY Outdoor projects here. And if you don’t feel in the DIY frame of mind, here are 30 must-have hanging planters)

Image above: This leather planter was inspired by Japanese paper folding. See the full instructions for the DIY Leather Plant Hanger right here.

Image above: Lack of shelf space? Go vertical with this tiered hanging planter.

Image above: One of my all-time favs: ombre fade planters made from paper cups.

See all the planter DIYs after the jump!

Image above: Who doesn’t love a polka dot? This would make a fantastic hostess gift! See the full instructions right here: DIY Polka Dot Copper Tape Planter

Image above: Add a little jeweled embellishment to your pots with gem molds and a little sculpey clay. See the full instructions here.

Image above: Hardy and cute. Who doesn’t love an air plant. Here’s an easy way to hang them.

Image above: Dress up your garden pots using just a little bit of paint. It’s all about the stencil.

Image above: Upcycling at its best! Use found objects and discarded materials to create a simple textured planter.

Image above: Hanging planter made from bait bags. See the full instructions here.

Image above: Planter made from a paper covered paint can. See the full instructions here.

1. Donna says:

Lovin’ the tiered plant holder in pic number 2. : )

2. I love all of these. Right now, I’m using all sorts of different containers — old mugs for herbs, half of an old Jack Daniels whiskey barrel for carrots, baskets for lavender — whatever works and bring some extra personality to the plants. Thank for the additional inspiration!

3. Jen says:

Absolutely love the rugged natural look of the types of plants paired with the crafty feel of the pots and hanging materials. I think I’ll grab some paint & a stencil and dazzle up a few planter myself! Thanks for the beautifully inspiring photos!

4. Dina says:

So beautiful! Will be using those tips for our new apartment. : )

5. Those upside-down ones are crazy cool. I like the copper dots the best.

6. Uma Stewart says:

Loving all of the ways to make boring planters have some personality. I especially love the gold dots!

7. Love them all! A great way to “detox” your space as well – plants are the best air cleaners! :)

8. Plants themselves are the great source of beauty. And if these types of ideas and pots are used to adjust plants then it will increase their beauty. Thanks for the great ideas and pot designs.

9. Kelly says:

Any advice on watering the tiered planters? They are beautiful, but I imagine the water drains and drops on the floor.

1. Grace Bonney says:

kelly

my best advice is to take them down once a week and soak them in a tub, especially if you’re using terra cotta planters. the material absorbs moisture so the whole thing needs to be soaked. i know it’s a pain, but i’ve gotten used to that routine and it’s just habit now :)

g

10. These are great, upcycling at its best.

11. Sarade says:

Nothing brings a space to life quite like greenery (or cats). Thanks for the ideas!

12. trotula says:

Re: the hanging planter, my impression is that the top three plants would just drip into the pots below them. To solve the problem of the bottom one dripping, you could have the bottom pot hold a plant which prefers to be in pots without drainage holes, like some kinds of ferns. (Potting ferns without drainage comes from sources who know more about ferns than I do, YMMV.)

13. Deborah says:

Check out this bad boy that is holding an air plant but could really hold anything (depending on the size of the hole) https://www.etsy.com/listing/150578008/air-plant-holder-locally-salvaged-solid?