Your Weekend To-Do List: Inspired by Modern Art

Today marks the last day of May and with it, the last day of our Month of Color. As a celebratory send-off, here are five things to do this weekend that highlight one of my favorite uses for color—in artwork. From some early summer reading to a relaxing album, here’s hoping that these items will keep color in your life all summer long. Have a lovely weekend! Bring on June! —Max

1. Read: Louise Nevelson, edited by Germano Celant. Published last month by Rizolli, this epic monograph highlights the work of one of my own favorite artists, the sculptor Louise Nevelson. Known primarily for her monochromatic assemblage work, Nevelson is frequently regarded as one of the most important talents of the Twentieth Century. This book, which covers a sprawling 560 works and includes additional photographs, documents, and magazine articles, is sure to be a favorite of any Nevelson fan. Purchase here.

2. See: Julie Mehretu at Marian Goodman Gallery, May 11-June 22. Known for her sprawling abstract murals reminiscent of topographic charts, Julie Mehretu recently unveiled her latest collection of work in what is her first New York City gallery show in over a decade. If you’re going to be in New York within the next month, be sure to check this one out. Not only is Mehretu’s work absolutely stunning and wildly intricate in person, this is a show people will be talking about all summer.

3. Wear: The Modern Composition Dress at Anthropologie. If this week’s sweltering weather was any indication, it’s officially time for summer dresses! Kick the season off right with this patterned dress that references abstract Modernist paintings.

4. Make: Piet Mondrian Cake from the Modern Art Desserts cookbook. If you’re in the mood to indulge your inner artist and baker this weekend, this new book by pastry chef Caitlin Freeman should do the trick nicely. The book is filled with dozens of recipes for delicious (and fabulously over-the-top) desserts, all inspired by famous works of Modern art. Even if you’re not particularly baking-inclined, it makes for great eye candy. Purchase here.

5. Listen: Cold Spring Fault Less Youth by Mount Kimbie. I stumbled upon this album recently because I loved the cover art, but the music won me over. Filled with mellow, contemplative electronic tracks, this album is perfect for a warm summer walk or as the soundtrack to a museum visit. Purchase on iTunes here.

Also— in case you missed it— here are some highlights from this week’s content:

1. A Mondrian cake is complete genius!
    To carry the colour into June can I add the Alex Gorlizski show at Van Doren Waxter NYC? Just seen a press release and it looks amazing!

2. Love that Mondrian cake. I’ve had it at the MOMA before and it’s delicious!

3. MCM says:

So great! Just a random question, what happened to the etiquette column? I really enjoyed that and check for it often.

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi MCM –
      It will be back! :) xoAmy

4. susie says:

I cannot express how much I have enjoyed color month. You guys are so awesome! I’m really going to miss the color of the day. Looking forward to next year :-)

Keep up the great work. I really enjoy and appreciate all of the original content that Design*Sponge creates!

5. Martha says:

Sorry, I’m such a stickler… shouldn’t the subhead for this post read 6/1-2? The 5/1-2 date would be for May, not June…
    Otherwise, I love the read, see, wear, make, listen breakdown of things to do. This totally inspired me to create my own art-filled weekend, in Seattle! Here’s mine:

1. Read: Grace Coddington’s autobiography, “Grace: A Memoir”. I’ll be interested to learn about the career path that led her to become creative director of Vogue.

2. See: Pacific Northwest Ballet’s Director’s Choice performance, featuring a world premiere from Christopher Wheeldon, frequently cited as today’s best contemporary ballet choreographer.

3. Make: my own Marimekko-inspired plates. I need to pick up some porcelain paint and some plain white dishes from the second-hand store.

4. Taste: Woodman Cheese and Crackers! So cool! Though I’ll probably just use store-bought crackers… this easy snack was inspired by the contrast of textures in the photography of Francesca Woodman.

5. Listen: “Composed” by Jherek Bischoff. This orchestral pop album is truly stunning. Jherek produced, engineered, and mastered the album himself. He achieved an orchestral sound by recording the music one instrument at a time using just one mic and a laptop. Amazing!

1. Ohmygod, Martha. You are so right. *Hits head against desk.* Thanks for catching that. Will change it straight away.

6. Bobbi says:

I love the idea of baking art. Half the reason I bake is to make pretty things!

7. To heck with the music, I just love that album cover art!

8. Shari says:

amazing Mondrian cake!

9. Marcela says:

Oh my God, that cake is the cutest thing ever!!

10. Kasia says:

I’m a huge fan of Mondrian’s work so the cake is my favourite thing from this post! I have to buy the cookbook!:D

11. Like so many other commenters, I am totally awestruck by the mondrian cake! Cute post, I love modern art in all formats.

12. geena says:

Mount Kimbie. A thousand times yes. Their music is quite often the soundtrack to my life.