Sneak Peek: Leah Goren and Dylan Ousley

Leah Goren is an illustrator and surface pattern designer who runs an online shop that sells products printed with her whimsical, nature-inspired illustrations. (Her Red Cat tank is on Amy’s wish list). She shares this Brooklyn apartment with her boyfriend, graphic designer Dylan Ousley, who runs his own branding and design shop, named Home Ec. Leah describes Dylan’s aesthetic as sparse and Mid-Century modern, while she leans toward pastel colors, floral patterning and decorative odds and ends – much like her work. Though their decorating tastes differ, they certainly don’t clash; rather, they blend harmoniously throughout their apartment and workspace. The dining nook, filled with plants, light and fresh flowers, is their favorite thing about their home. Thank you, Leah and Dylan! –Shannon

Image above: My desk is a 1950s steelcase tanker desk that I bought from a friend who was tired of moving it every time he moved. It’s a serious, powerful desk, and is really, really heavy – I also hope I never have to move it again! Dylan has a similar vintage desk in his area but it’s wood, and we found it at Green Village, a used furniture and clothing store near our apartment in Bushwick. Green Village is a huge warehouse packed with furniture and bric-a-brac from floor to ceiling, and we come here all the time to search for new things.

Image above: Our dining table is the Docksta from IKEA and the rug is from West Elm. The green bentwood chairs are from a Brooklyn vintage shop, and the one mismatched chair was found on our block.

See more of Leah and Dylan’s Brooklyn home after the jump…

Image above: Our couch is a hand-me-down from our neighbor. It was his grandfather’s and we couldn’t bear to see him throw it away, so we took it in. It came pre-cat scratched by his grandfather’s cat, Nappers, and it’s really kind of ugly, but I think we make it work with lots of pillows and patterns. The cactus print pillow is my favorite, it’s by Sian Keegan via Society6. We have a second Eames Hang-It-All in here too, this one in walnut.

Image above: These chairs sit opposite the couch. I found them broken and cushionless on the street near my last apartment in Williamsburg, and we had them completely fixed up. The side table is from West Elm.

Image above: This little bookshelf is crammed full of art books, zines, and magazine. Above it hangs a little painting on wood panel by my friend Tuesday Bassen, a couple prints from Becca Stadtlander, and one of my own paintings.

Image above: We have an IKEA butcher block and an IKEA rail and hooks for extra storage that Dylan installed on a shelf he built. This area is super important because we drink tons of coffee!

Image above: I love how green our dining room is (as noted many times as the favorite part of the house!). We built shelves into the window to hold plants and help disguise the bars on the window. The painting is my favorite of all because it’s one of my mom’s from before I was born, and of course because it’s of a cat. She painted Bootsie at the Egyptian apartments in San Diego and it’s perfect because he’s surrounded by plants in the painting and where it now hangs.

Image above: Our apartment doesn’t have any closets, so our bedroom serves that purpose. It’s filled with mismatched drawers and shelves for clothing and shoe storage, and we have clothing racks built-in on the opposite wall. Our bedframe is from IKEA and has drawers below for extra storage. All the other furniture is secondhand.

Image above: I found this cat pillow at a Salvation Army in San Diego for $1 and had to have it. It’s the perfect mix of whimsical, girly, and totally surreal. The bird-print duvet is from West Elm.

Image above: Another grouping of paintings and prints by friends on the right side – on top is a painting by Pete Gamlen and a screen print by Rachel Levit, a painting by Yelena Bryksenkova is below, and a Young Frankk brass collar necklace hangs in the middle. On the left is an old drawing of a girl and boy that I found at the Chelsea Garage Antique Market, another favorite place for finding old things.

Image above: My sewing table is a little vintage farm table that sits opposite our flat files. The chair is thrifted and the flat files were a lucky score on Craigslist.

Image above: This is Moses’s throne. He sits here while we work, if he’s not off causing trouble.

Image above: Dylan and I both love thrift shopping and the thrill of discovering something we love in places other people may not be looking, and most of our belongings come from these shopping adventures. We both have Eames fiberglass shell chairs, and we also have a colorful Eames Hang-It-All.

Image above: This Lulie Wallace painting is the first thing you see when you walk into the studio.

Image above: Our entryway is another of my favorite nooks because of the mix of art and trinkets. The mobile is by Hillery Sproat, the black and white girl screenprint is by Karolin Schnoor, the pink girl painting is one of my own, and the little hanging calendar is by Claudia Pearson.

1. CarleyGeorged says:

man, this is love.

2. Amanda says:

Please tell me that Moses is a Devon Rex…!

3. What a lovely eclectic home and adorable kitty cat!

4. ayelen says:

que precioso!!! cuanta luz!!! transmite mucha paz.. me encanto!

5. Absolutely adore how playful and quirky and colorful and full of art their home is. I’m a huge fan of Leah Goren’s work; it’s such a treat to see a space that’s so real and personal. Dreamy, really.

6. Cori Magee says:

Such a cute place! I love the designated chair for the cat, we spoil our kitty too. :)

7. So fresh, airy and bright. I love Leah’s work so it’s amazing to see her (and Dylan’s) creative space, and the simple mix of her pastel palette with His mid-century aesthetic is incredibly inspiring for when my boyfriend and I take the leap of moving in together! A great Sneak Peek!

8. Catherine says:

This couple can come to my home and recreate it for me. I’ll make them baked goods in return. :)

9. cmm says:

love this apartment!

10. Elaina says:

Such a lovely space – and cat! Devon Rexes are the best.

11. Alisa Fields says:

Love it Leah!! It is just perfect

12. Rachael says:

You know, the curtains above the kitchen cabinets is brilliant. I’ve been bemoaning the fact that my kitchen is too tiny for that area to be “styled”, but a curtain on a tension rod never occured to me.

13. Love it! So full of charm!

14. There’s so much natural light! I tried to pick a favorite space in the house but it’s all so lovely, I can’t choose!

Does anyone know where to find a similar shelf to the one next to the door?

15. Jackpot says:

This is one of my favourite apartments ever! Love the warm, friendly, down-to-earth style with the charming, hand made artistic details everywhere…and that cat painting by mum, so good! Feeling super inspired to get stuck into our renovation and can’t wait to start decorating. While I do love an “Elle Decoration” magazine-styled home for wishful thinking inspiration, this place just goes to show you don’t need a huge budget to put the warmth into a home…

16. Gerda says:

I love the many pictures on the walls. And – ha-ha, that couch is still awful, but like the fact that you kept it.

17. So fun to see Leah’s place! I’m such a fan of her work! :-)

18. Adorable. I have 2 INVINCIBLE desks in my studio. Love to see others that have the same desire to rescue the past.

19. Helen says:

I love the sunny greens and the mustache’d cat…

20. Island says:

Wow, this is just eye candy galore. I love the plants being incorporated into the dining room. It look so earthy and filled with life :)

21. Tiffany says:

my eye is stuck on that shelf with the very pretty handmade dolls!

22. Ali says:

I love the mix of textures in art on the walls/surfaces. Such wonderful inspiration!

23. That dining room is perfection. And the cat is adorable.

24. Jade Sheldon says:

Been a follower of their blog and illustration work for quite some time! I very much admire their apartment: the plants, the artwork, turning broken objects into usable ones, etc…

25. Preeti says:

This is such a beautiful space. Loved every detail. and 2nd last picture takes my breath away! :)

26. Polly Rowan says:

This is a truly beautiful home! Very jealous. That Lulie Wallace painting is gorgeous, and the cat pillow is slightly creepy but fun! x

27. Alison says:

Oh I just love this home, it is full of colour & quirky fun! Just my type of house!

28. Bonnie says:

What a treat! I love the mix of modern and sun washed cozy vintage and art everywhere. I am currently obsessed with Leah’s hand made ceramics, and it is such a pleasure to see her home!

29. That is my dream desk!!! I can’t believe it exists somewhere. I am waiting to such a find! It is taking me many years….
    I love the window full of lush green. Good job with the chairs, you know what you do guys!

30. Ariane says:

So charming, zen, adorable, eclectic, authentic and effortless! One of the best sneak peak!

31. Hollie says:

So beautiful and bright! Love the mint kitchen! I wonder what kind of cat that is…

32. SO BEAUTIFUL. That kitchen is to die for!!

33. I really must get more plants for our flat! looks sweet.

34. caroline says:

I’ve always adored her apartment! so airy and bright and love that a lot of their furniture are second-hand. plus she’s amazingly creative!

35. Frances says:

Gorgeous. I do, like them, love their green-filled dining space but there are so many creative details to inspire. Like Rachael, who commented above, I love the fabric rail over the kitchen. Such a lovely way to add charm to cabinets.

36. angie says:

oh pure beauty

37. Hanna says:

I love this home. The muted colours and all the plants, so dreamy.

38. Jacqueline says:

So in love with Leah’s home – so sweet, so beautiful and every thing in place seems to create some sort of narrative. <3

39. Emily says:

Leah, do you remember the name of the fabric with which you re-upholstered the chairs opposite the couch? I am stuck at the fabric selection step in a curbside rehab project myself. Thank you, and thanks also for sharing your beautiful home!

40. Yuliya says:

The most beatiful place that I’ve ever seen!!!