Sneak Peek: Jessie Webster

by

Jessie Webster is a photographer specializing in lifestyle and interiors, and the blogger behind Sweet Thing where she shares photography as well as her love for fashion and interior design. Today’s peek inside her Silverlake, Los Angeles home is so together, it makes it hard to believe she’s only lived there since Valentine’s Day. As soon as Jessie walked in, she fell in love with the charming craftsman details, built-ins and moldings of the home that was built in 1913 (old for Los Angeles!). Jessie is always drawn to spaces that mix eras and her own style leans towards vintage with a slight modern edge. Ultimately, she wanted her home to be warm and a place people want to be; the fact that she works from home so much was extra incentive. Thanks so much, Jessie (and for the awesome photos)! – Anne

Image above: I found this set of antique bentwood chairs on eBay. They are from the Mayo Civic Auditorium and date back to the ’40s. I like to imagine all the music they’ve heard and all the people who’ve sat in them. The dining table is from Restoration Hardware and was on my wish list for quite sometime. As soon as it went on sale, I snatched it up. The pendant is from Ikea and the antique kilim rug gives my house a needed pop of color amongst the many muted tones.

Image above: My bedroom is simple and peaceful. The rug is an eBay find and one of my favorites in the house. It’s worn and slightly falling apart, but I love it. Those three Polaroids hanging next to my bed, were part of a friend’s wedding invitation. I also have one of my Instagrams framed sitting on my nightstand. It goes to show, art doesn’t have to be expensive, just meaningful. The Crate and Barrel bed I found on Craigslist and the kantha and pillow are from West Elm.

Click for more inside Jessie’s home after the jump!

Image above: The first thing I did when I moved in was paint everything white with BEHR Premium Plus in Ultra Pure White Flat paint. Many of the walls were dark brown or gray and all the trim was a yellowy cream. I lived in a house for seven years where practically every room was a different color, so for this house I wanted a change. The chandelier in my living room is by OneFortyThree. I am such a fan of his light fixtures. Next on my wish list is the swing arm wall lamp. The rug and the sofa are both from West Elm. It took me a while to find a sofa that was both modern and comfortable, but the Dunham sofa is just that. The Pioneer chair is from a lovely shop called Joinery. The mid-century magazine rack holds vintage Seventeen Magazine’s with my mom on the cover!

Image above: My father is also a photographer and well known for his rock and roll photography from the 60s-70s. That era and his photographs are a constant source of inspiration for me. Two of my favorites, The Rolling Stones and Nico, sit above my fireplace. The built-in bookcases hold my collection of vintage books and cameras.

Image above: This wall is filled with so many things I treasure. Some are more recent finds like the pyramid wall terrarium from Etsy, or the brass Nate Berkus lamp. Others were picked up in my travels, like the bowl from my time spent at the Zia Pueblo in New Mexico or the various rocks and shells from the beaches of Martha’s Vineyard. Two of my favorite pieces are the carved wooden face my mother purchased at Nepenthe in Big Sur during her hippie days and my grandfather’s ID card from his time spent in Africa during World War II.

Image above: My office is very adorable at just 36 square feet. It’s right off the kitchen and dining room, so it must have been a pantry or breakfast nook at some point. It’s just big enough to fit my desk and photo equipment, which is really all I need.

Image above: I’ve always loved feathers and what they symbolize. These hawk feathers I found on a walk, which is supposed to be very good luck.

Image above: The print on my desk was given to me as a housewarming gift by my dear friend and artist Lauren Spencer King. An antler is currently serving as a washi tape holder.

Image above: Having built-in storage in an old house is such a treat. I love to make cocktails and it’s the perfect place for my bar and collection of vintage glassware. The two paintings are actually one cut in half. It’s a thrift store find, but my mom had the brilliant idea to cut it in two and place them in frames side by side.

Image above: Lemons from my parent’s tree in Ojai, an olive wood board from West Elm, my favorite Handsome coffee and Mariage Fréres tea and mismatched antique silver I find in various thrift stores.

Image above: The sun sets outside my kitchen window and since living here, I look forward to this time of day most of all. I turn on music, cook dinner and watch the palm tree-filled sky turn all shades of pink and orange.

Image above: I’ve always loved to cook. As a kid I preferred cooking shows to cartoons and would spend my weekends making up recipes for my family to try. A few of my favorite and most used cookbooks are Love Soup and Tartine.

Image above: I am certainly not known for my green thumb, but slowly I’ve been growing my plant collection. Succulents are about as unfussy as they come, which is why we get along.

Image above: A painting by my mother hangs in my sunroom (yes, everyone in my family is an artist), along with a suitcase I found on a street corner and a good fortune ball given to me as a gift years ago from Rooms and Gardens.

Image above: The sunroom is my favorite room in the house. It’s where I spend the most time, whether it’s working on my laptop or chatting with a friend.

Image above: I’ve dreamed of having a clawfoot tub for quite sometime, so when I found this house it felt too good to be true. I painted it black and I love how it grounds the room and balances out the dark wood of my deco dresser.

Image above: In the mornings I like to sit out on my front porch, drink coffee and people watch. My neighborhood is never lacking in interesting people, or outfits might I add.

1. Maria Alberetti says:

what a beautiful home. love the white walls with the wood and your bright rugs. very fitting that you are from Ojai one of the most beautiful places ever.

2. can i ask where your table with all the books on it is from? its 9 pictures from the bottom, i have been looking everywhere for one just like it! by the way, your home is stunning!

3. rebecca says:

Love this house so much! May I ask where you got the wood shelving unit with the brass accents that your record player is on? Thanks!

4. Jessie says:

@Kendal & @Rebecca // that shelving unit is one of my favorite pieces. I purchased it from H.D. Buttercup at their half yearly sale.

5. Thank yo for your response! The shelving unit is so beautiful! Do you know what color and fabric you got your couch in from west elm?

6. Jessie says:

@Kendal thank you! Yes, it’s the linen blend in gravel.

7. what a beautiful space! as much as I love good modern architecture, I’m pretty much a character girl at heart. I see so many elements of our own century home in Jessie’s house. I love it.

8. louise says:

Where is the light above the sink in the bathroom from?

9. Renae says:

Seriously in love with this place. Every detail is perfect!!

10. marti babcock says:

Lovely. Where are your blinds from? Were they custom?

11. Samantha says:

Jessie! Wow! So beautiful and reflective of my own personal taste! In love with the rug under the dining room table! Where did you acquire it??

12. Jessie says:

@Louise It was already installed when I moved in, but it’s from Home Depot. I didn’t like the shades so I removed them and just used edison bulbs.

@Marti thank you! The blinds were already here when I moved in, lucky for me. I believe they were custom, I’m sorry I’m not sure where they are from.

@Samantha thank you so much! The dining room rug is from Kilim.com

13. Susie (All the way from India) says:

Jessie, love your style! Your home is beautiful and looks so peaceful.

14. I love looking through these photos. Such great inspiration for decorating my new home! I love it. Her house actually reminds me A LOT of my first home here in California. So much character!

15. ken says:

this is a pretty random question, but was the front door hardware already on the door or did you put it on yourself? also where is the rug from your bathroom from? i love your home!

16. Alaina says:

What style of rug is that in her bedroom? Is there a specific name for it?

Thanks!

17. Eowyn West says:

A truly lovely & comfortable home – well done! Just curious…Is your coffee table from Restoration Hardware also? I love the rustic/industrial look about it. I’ve seen similar one in different places but I think I originally saw it in a RH catalog. Thank you & many blessings in your beautiful home.

18. Carole says:

Jessie, your home is beautiful — so perfectly curated. I’m renovating a vintage house and love with your front door. Do you have any idea where it came from? Thanks!

19. Jessie says:

@Ken the hardware was already on the door when I moved in, so I am not sure where it is from or if it is original. The kilim rug in the bathroom is from a little consignment shop in Ojai called Still in Style.

@Alaina I looked up antique oriental rug when searching ebay.

@Eowyn Thank you so much! The coffee table is actually from World Market.

@Carole Thank you! The front door was here when I moved in. I am not sure if it is original to the house or not.

20. Shelley says:

Love the painted tub! Is it acrylic or cast iron and how did you paint it???

21. Cailin says:

Amazing house. I love the white chairs in the sun room, which manage to look comfy without being too bulky. Can I ask where they are from?

22. Eva says:

Supercool home!

23. Roseann says:

Beautiful beautiful home. I love your coffee table! Do you mind me asking where it’s from?

24. Layli says:

Hi Jessie! Love your home. I like the small tree in the grey pot by the bookshelf in the living room- what kind of a plant is that?

25. Michelle says:

Hi Jessie,

Absolutely stunning home… Is there anyway you could tell me the measurements of your dining room kilim rug? (I have exact same table and you seem to have found the ideal dimensions)… Would be a huge help if possible! Thank you for letting us see your stellar style!

26. Elena says:

This is surely the most charming home I’ve seen! I must ask, since everyone else seems to allow themselves the liberty, where did the rug in your bathroom come from? Thank you!