Color of The Day: Smalt

1. Catherine says:

I’ve loved this entire Color of the Day series, the histories and the graphics are brilliant!

2. My favorite color so far. It reminds me of the Crayola “Denim” color. Am I the only one who still uses crayola colors to describe the world?

3. Florina says:

Very, very interesting this daily history of colours…
    Simple yet educational

4. fabrice says:

Loving this feature. Re-using it on my own blog every week. THANK YOU!

5. Isaku says:

This reminds me of a bell curve from a statistical analysis. If only university textbooks were this pretty, I’d be more motivated to study harder.

6. Lynette Manteau says:

Oh how I miss the color of the day. Surely you could do a color of the week. Pretty please.

7. Toni says:

Smalt Who knew. I’ve been working with color all my life and never
    heard this. Very interesting. Love color of the day.

8. Marjorie says:

During my morning walk I noticed an endearing house with smalt colored shutters and thought I want that in my new home that I am in the beginning steps of manifesting – is it divine intervention, I believe so, any comments?

9. Sara says:

Love smalt!

10. Vivian says:

Very interesting!

11. Gary says:

I too am an artist of some years, and I had not heard of smalt. Thanks also for the historical references to cobalt and ultramarine. I happened upon this site while researching a crossword clue. What a nifty idea!

12. Janet Husband says:

You state that smalt was made from coarsely ground cobalt blue glass. But where did the cobalt blue glass get its color? I think you meant coarsely ground blue cobalt.

1. Janet— smalt actually is the powdered form of cobalt glass, created by crushing cobalt glass. You can read more about it here: