Before & After: Sarah’s Kitchen + Bedroom Renovation

Today’s second makeover comes from Sarah Sandidge. Three years ago Sarah and her husband Jay bought a 1930s home that was, in her words, “tragically outdated”. The layout felt crowded and awkward, but they saw potential in the spaces so Jay worked weekends and week nights (while Sarah was pregnant and caring for their two year-old) to renovate their space over the course of two years to get it where it is today. Today we’re sharing two spaces that got a major modern work over: the kitchen and bedroom.

Sarah has shared her makeover details after the jump, as well as photos of the bedroom makeover. I hope you’ll enjoy them. Thanks so much to Sarah and Jay for sharing this with us.

*Both sets of before images are from different angles than the “after” shots so I’ve tried to explain that in the captions. I know that drives some people nuts, so I apologize ahead of time. Sarah and Jay had their hands full with this project (and their kids!) so the before shots weren’t their priority at the time.

When we first moved in, everything was blue! Blue carpet, blue wallpaper, blue drapes, and all the same shade! So that was our first act. Getting the surroundings back to “normal”. Then we started working on structural issues. We opened up the wall between the dining room and kitchen. We removed the staircase leading to the upstairs room and moved it to the front of the house where a coat closet used to be. Then we finished some of the attic space upstairs to add a completely new master bath, closet, and office space. We removed two sets of nasty sliding doors that went out to a rickety, rotted deck my husband simply pulled up with his hands. Fixed some major leaks and put new carpet down. Now we have a huge, beautiful master suite that is our getaway once the kids go to bed.

In the kitchen, we completely rearranged the layout. What was once a very strange set up combining the original kitchen with an add-on, is now a lovely space to work in. We actually used metal cabinets that we found in the basement laundry room. We had them sanded and powder-coated for a modern look. Then after almost a year of hesitation and deliberation and living with splintery plywood for counters, we finally decided on butcher block counter tops from Lumber Liquidators. We absolutely love them. They really warm the kitchen up.

We decided to leave some “rough” edges throughout the house. The window over the sink for instance has chipped paint on the trim and is the only wood window in the house without paint. We wanted some “memorials” to help us remember where we came from I guess! And perfection isn’t really our thing. We like our house to look “lived in.”

1. Rebecca says:

Wow! That is my dream kitchen! The bed is awesome! Great job.

2. Priscilla Watsom says:

I love what you did and I can appreciate doing it yourself and living in it with kids! You should be proud!
    Can you tell me the make of the range? I’m looking for a 30″ one with 4 + burners and dual fuel. Thanks and contests on a job very well done!

3. This looks great! Although I’m a bit sad they painted the ceiling beams in the bedroom. I’ll be sharing a similar kitchen reno later today, come check it out!

4. Jennybethw says:

The kitchen is absolutely stunning (I want that stove!). I LOVE the headboard- the beauty is in the details.

5. Bettye says:

Beautiful. It looks really functional too.

6. Lisa Z says:

do you know where the pots hangers and rail came from? i am looking for same. thx.

7. anisa says:

Wow it looks absolutely beautiful

8. Catherine says:

She can come over to our condo and do the same!

9. Mar says:

What brand and color of white paint did you use for the walls? Beautiful home!

10. Leslie says:

Love love love the master retreat!

11. Green Key says:

Lisa Z, I think the rails and hanging things come from Ikea.

12. I think the kitchen is very nicely done, but I do agree with Sarah about the ceiling beams in the bedroom. But overall, love the color choices and casual/approachable styling!

13. Beautiful! That was a lot of work but well worth it.

14. love this kitchen – they did a fabulous job!
    — jackie @ jade and oak
    jewelry giveaway

15. Great work- I’m loving the transformation.

16. Aidel.K says:

Both rooms are amazing. I like especially that idea of leaving the chippy window in the kitchen–it’s like some patina & looks great with that rug. And the master suite-chill lounge is brilliant.

17. Tia Stockton says:

Oh that kitchen… Love the white and stainless steel

18. camden says:

It would be helpful to have listed the names of the appliances and cabinets etc., for those of us who are renovating or thinking about it !

19. Jennifer says:

Would love to see pics of the blue carpeting and curtains! Sounds like our house, and I am trying to figure out ways around it until we can replace the carpeting with wood floors. I am also impressed that you were able to accomplish so much with kids in the house–great job!

20. brendan doherty says:

ditto on the oven

21. Kirby says:

That bedroom is so sultry and unique. Way to go!

22. Linda says:

I love what they have done to this space!
    It brings back memories. Except in our house is was green, green, green! I guess that’s what you get for buying in Ireland. There is nothing more satisfying though.

23. Sarah Jane says:

Thanks so much for all the wonderful comments! It’s nice to have your hard work appreciated! :) I’ve definitely regretted painting the beams in our master suite at times. I’m thinking of covering them with fabric to give it a bohemian feel. We’ll see…

The cabinets are authentically vintage and were found in our basement.

The white paint was Ultra White from Lowe’s. Valspar… I think! Not mixed paint, just straight off the shelf!

Our range is a 30″ Kenmore Pro from Sears. I can give the specific model number if wanted, but I’m away from home right now. So it might be another week!

Thanks again!

OH! And the after pics were taken by Janae at the itsy bitsy house.

24. Sarah Jane says:

The reason for painting the beams in the master suite was because the ceiling is quite low on the sides and having the large beams painted white helps “lift” the ceiling and not feel so cramped. If the ceilings were high, I’d totally agree that painting them would not be ideal.

25. alison says:

That yellow couch is a dream! Everything looks amazing.

26. Adrienne says:

I love the rug! Where is it from?!

27. Joyelle West says:

Sarah, applause for doing all of this while also taking care of the kiddos, I’m sure that could not have been easy! I love how resourceful you were with the metal cabinets, and the butcher block counter is such a nice juxtaposition to them. A nice touch leaving the window chipped. I also like how the window panes themselves are dark, it makes them pop on the wall. Lovely job!

28. Will says:

Wow! LOVE the kitchen renovation! I just finished my kitchen remodel project… I used this measurement guide ( to take the guesswork out of measuring for cabinetry. It was so helpful… hopefully someone will be able to use it too!

29. The kitchen is amazing! Only wonderfully satisfying food can come from there now. ;-) Sad about the painted beams, but I’m sure there were reasons. Thanks for sharing!

30. Jono says:

Wow – my wife and I looked at this together and it gives us hope in buying an older house and restoring / renovating. Great post.

31. I absolutely love this makeover. And while I do love wood I would have painted those beams white too – it really helps to visually ‘lift’ the space and makes it seem bigger and brighter. That bedroom is amazing now! So impressed (and doubly impressed that they did all this work with kids/while preggers!)

32. Angelina says:

I second all the comments, lovely redesign and I’m dying to know where you got the rug in the kitchen…!!!

33. Michelle Kuznia says:

Amazing. Love this pastime. Thank You

34. Savage Seeds says:

WOW! I don’t know which I love more.. the bed or the kitchen. To die for!

35. cheryl says:

Was it expensive to powdercoat the cabinets? I have some (not vintage) that I want to change the color. what was the process