After the Jump: We Answer Your Top 10 Questions

This week Amy and I decided to sit down and tackle the Top 10 Questions We’re Asked at Design*Sponge. While some of them could fill an entire show, we did our best to tackle questions like this in 30 minutes: How do we find the things we write about, How do we make money, How do we stay motivated, Advice for people starting a blog, What tools we use to stay motivated, How do we fight insecurity? We got to all of these and at least 10 more during our episode, so I hope you’ll enjoy the show! As always, we love your feedback and insight on how you would answer these questions, too. Thanks for listening! xo, grace and amy

(p.s. If you’re in NYC next week, Amy is going to be on a panel at the Museum of Art and Design – Commerce + Curation: Future. The panel is on Tuesday, May 21 at 7pm and is free!)

“Every adult wants to know how you have a job when you work on the internet.” [5:05]
-Amy Azzarito on After the Jump

“Start thinking of yourself as a producer of content and that content does not necessarily live where you live.” [10:30]
“I am incredibly motivated by feedback. Whether it’s good or bad, I really enjoy and need comments.” [8:45]
-Grace Bonney on After the Jump

LISTEN: You can download the podcast on iTunes here, or stream it here on Heritage Radio

1. Rose Duggan says:

I’m glad Grace said she likes comments, because sometimes I feel I’m being obnoxious if I comment too much. I think D*S does a really good job of keeping comments on topic and really positive. As always, I’m so excited to listen to this.

2. Fantastic, thank you. I always feel a little shy to post comments (the Internet is a fantastic place for introverts!), but I knowing that comments & emails are loved and not annoying is cool. I will try to comment more! :)

3. Martha says:

Great show guys! I found this ‘behind the scenes’ peek into your business super interesting.

4. Lou says:

I loved this episode. I look forward to this show all week and when it skips a week I’m disappointed. ;) I listen to it late at night on my way home from school.

5. Rachel says:

Ha! I find Grace’s statement that she “enjoys comments” laughable. I’ve never come across a blogger who takes comments so personally. There have been many times on Design*Sponge–not to mention in the Amazon review section for Design*Sponge at Home–where Grace has gotten extremely defensive to the point of offensive at mild critiques or even differences in style preference expressed by others. Not everything is personal. I find Grace’s attitude and response to comments on the whole (unless they’re fawning/flattering) to be very egocentric.

6. Uncle Beefy says:

Great episode, Grace and Amy! Although, I tried the soft paws, Grace, without success. Well, I attempted putting them on unsuccessfully. Cracked up when you said you’d rather have your cats than perfect upholstery! You should see the state of my Room&Board linen sofa – just THREADS hanging at this point! C’est la vie! :)

1. Grace Bonney says:

uncle beefy

oh man, i feel your paint. every nice piece of upholstery i’ve ever had has been pretty much shredded by turk. soft paws have always worked well for me- but some cats figure out how to get them off. have you tried sticky paws? that works better for some people. but i truthfully have just learned to accept it and move on- if the price of having turk is a few shredded chair arms, it’s more than worth it ;)

7. riye says:

I’m really enjoying this series. The guests have all been great but my favorites are the ones with just the DS staff. I like how you folks are keeping it real by talking about all the hard work that goes into such a fantastic site while trying to not drive yourselves crazy outside of work.

My bf and I have to try soft paws so we can get the aluminum foil “embellishments” off our couch. ;-) Keep up the great work!

8. Very interesting love to get a little behind the scenes insight.

9. Martha says:

Rachel, to defend Grace a bit here, I think the D*S blog is so stellar because Grace takes feedback so personally. I think we all benefit from her personal investment and passion in every post and project she is a part of, and I think her success is proof of that.

10. susan says:

Just listened and really enjoyed the discussion-it’s nice to hear that even with your success you still struggle with insecurity at times, and care so much about the community and your readers. AMY-thanks for the philly love!!

11. Chrisiec says:

@ Rachel, funny enough I feel the exact OPPOSITE about Grace’s replies. For one, she’s so regularly a part of the comment stream it’s great to know she’s paying attention. In her responses I always feel her passion and her diligence in researching to get the stories straight. I think she’s actually the ‘ideal’ blogger. What you’re calling defensive I believe is her passion coming into play. AND HURRAY for passionate people doing what they love!

12. Anna says:

The question I was expecting: When are we going to get a full sneak peak of the D*S Office?!?

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Anna! That is a good question. We’re so close to being done with the office, but it’s not quite ready for prime time. It’s also our little laboratory – so it seems to always be in a state of controlled chaos. xoAmy

13. Jennifer says:

Great show! Thanks for the really practical advice about what motivates you. Do you recommend any particular strengths finder test?

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi jennifer

we did this one as a team:

grace :)

14. Elizabeth says:

Hello! I listened to 6 or 7 DS podcasts this weekend while doing some major spring cleaning and loved all of them! I love hearing the different backgrounds to people’s work and stories and I especially loved hearing about how much care and research you put into every post here. That’s a ton of hard work and I applaud you for it! Makes me like the blog even more. Thanks for the great podcasts!!

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks so much, elizabeth!

grace :)

15. Jennifer says:

Thanks, Grace! Going to order a copy. I knew it sounded familiar–my husband has been using it for leadership training with college students. Didn’t realize it was the same thing ’til I checked out the link.

1. Grace Bonney says:

it was pretty impressive- and great for understanding how to better lead a team of people :)

16. Posts like these are always the most interesting to me, especially as a new blogger. I have so many questions as I’m just starting out and always search for advice. Thanks for putting in the time to answer some questions!