How to Use The Flower Market

This week I’m thrilled to end with a post that celebrates spring weather, flowers and one of our favorite D*S alumnae, Amy Merrick. Since her days of writing Living In posts and creating Made with Love projects, Amy has gone one to become one of the most sought-after florists and stylists in the area. We’re thrilled that her studio is a stone’s throw from our office so we scooped her up this week and headed to the flower market to get her tips and tricks for navigating any city’s flower market. Whether your city has a central market or, like NYC, an area with several sellers grouped together, Amy’s tips will come in handy if you’re planning to buy flowers for an event, DIY or just a dinner party with friends. I hope you’ll enjoy this colorful tour through the flower market and maybe find some inspiration to create your own floral arrangement this weekend. Thanks so much to Amy for taking the time to film with us and to Max for lugging our camera around all day and filming. xo, grace

*Editor’s note: It’s been hard to focus on design this week with the tragedy in Boston. All of us at Design*Sponge are heartbroken and are sending all of our love and thoughts to the victims and their families. If you want to join us in supporting them here are ways to help.

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

1. Kendra says:

What helpful tips! I will definitely be scoping out the flower market scene in Vancouver!

2. lydia see says:

This is an awesome pick-me-up today for being locked-in in Boston. I love Amy Merrick’s work! thanks, y’all.

3. kwendolino says:

Very nice video! Could you tell me whats the name of the song in the video? would be great! thanks

4. Bonnie says:

That was so beautiful, I could watch it all day long! Thank you!

5. Lisa T says:

I don’t see the video – help!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Do you still not see it? Which browser are you using?

6. Lovely, with things so crazy this past week it’s nice to see something on the lighter side.

7. I loved the video, I wanted to see more!!! I am in Northern Ca and are a CSA farm. This year I plan to grow more and more flowers to augment my business. The video was very helpful to see how I should pick flowers and have available to customers. Thanks so much for putting it together. Love your blog!! Paula-Windmill Farm

8. Ali Manning says:

What a lovely video and great tips. I’ll be sure to visit that area of NYC when I’m next in town.

9. Rose says:

Love the video – very helpful, and nicely done! I was always intimidated by the flower market, thinking it was just to the industry. The bodega flowers, at least in NYC, are just so lackluster!

10. Lorena says:

Very nice video, I like flowers!
    What flower is in the picture? It is a Green and Rose peony? Or Roses?

I’m from Barcelona, Spain