Sneak Peek: Jessica Walsh

Jessica Walsh is an art director / designer and a partner at Sagmeister & Walsh in NYC who also teaches design & typography at The School of Visual Arts. Working across multiple disciplines she tries to create emotion & concept driven work, with a playful approach and sense of humor. When it comes to her home in the Chelsea district of NYC, she initially took a clean and modern approach when she first moved in, several years ago. But having grown up in a rustic country home filled with many antiques and hand painted inspirational signs, a rustic vibe has become infused into the overall décor.  Over the years, she has slowly added in vintage pieces as well as playful props from photo shoots. Attracted to pops of bold graphic colors like bright reds and blues, she’s tried to contrast them against neutral tones of grey. Huge thank you to Jessica, and to Mario de Armas for the photos! Anne

Image above: The chair and coffee table are Charles & Ray Eames, I’ve always loved this duo’s playful and multidisciplinary approach to art and design so I wanted a few of their pieces in my home. On the red chair is a bubble pillow which was a gift when I was working as an art director at Print Magazine, my friend Maayan Pearl has the other one in her home. The mannequin heads are from a photo shoot I did several years ago. The luggage is a beautiful handmade leather bag that I bought from a cute old man on a small island during my travels around Greece.

Image above: This is the entry wall when you first walk into the apartment. The print “Work hard & Be Nice to People” is by Anthony Burill. My mom gave me Rover the recycled dog as a gift. My friend Michael Friemuth had an Eames plywood chair in his apartment which I coveted for a while, and finally bought.

Click for more inside Jessica’s NYC apartment after the jump!

Image above: I am traveling constantly these days for talks & lectures, so I like to keep my SteamLine luggage ready to go by the door. I’m a big fan of Rioja wine, so I keep a nice stash in a walnut wine rack near my kitchen which I bought from BrooklynWood.

Image above: While I work during the week our studio on 23rd street in Chelsea, on the weekends I like to switch it up and work from home. I had the desk custom made from Urban Wood Goods. The monkey that hangs over my desk is by Kay Bojesen. I like collecting classic children’s toys around my apartment. They serve as a nice reminder to keep curious, inquisitive, and playful in my life and work.

Image above: My business partner Stefan Sagmeister has the best taste in books, and is always bringing me back great books from his travels. This is one of the many bookshelves around my apartment.

Image above: The hanging lamp is from Saw Home in Brooklyn. I keep my art supplies and pencils in this vintage tool supply box.

Image above: On my bedside table is a vintage Edison lamp which I spray painted red. I love Diptyque candles and keep them all around my apartment.

Image above: I live in a pretty small studio space, so I used a long couch from BluDot to separate the living area from the bed area which really helps divide the space. The pillows are from Donna Wilson. The print above my bed is one of the original Mac icons by Susan Kare, I have always been a big Mac & Steve Jobs fan. The handwritten framed quote is a Swedish proverb that used to be hand painted on the steps of the home I grew up in.

Image above: I love this Apothecary shower curtain from Isola.  I recently started keeping flowers in my bathroom and all around my apartment which brightens the whole place up, which is inspired from hanging around my best friend Lotta Nieminen’s apartment.

Image above: When my grandfather passed away five years ago he left me his typewriter; it is one of my favorite items in my apartment. He was the most genuinely kind, honest, hardworking, selfless person I’ve ever known. Looking at it is a nice reminder of his values, and his memory always puts a big smile on my face.

1. Great place, love the Urban Wood Goods desk.

2. Martin says:

Wow, nice place. And looks like a great view. I like how there are so many things in different styles but it still works well together.

Thanks for the inspiration!

3. Susannah says:

What/Where is that red banana/push pin object from!?

4. Victoria says:

Great choices of furniture!

5. Sarah says:

RISD 08′ killing it. Congrats Jessica

6. April Gabriel says:

I’m looking for that dark grey blue paint color in the first few images…any idea on the color?

7. Sabra Morris says:

Thanks for posting this home! It’s a bit different from some of the usual home looks I see on Design Sponge. A bit more edgy with a darker color palette. It’s not even necessarily my style but again, I love the variety. Great, new ideas and interesting ways to look at color and space. I love her originality.

8. Laura says:

Where did you get that night stand?? Love it!!

9. Amberly says:

I love this! There is so much inspiration for creativity here, and it looks SO good. One of those tours you need to observe everything slowly and closely. Thanks for opening up your home!

10. gorgeous. especially the desk and bedside lamp.

11. liz says:

Hi Jessica,

I love your apartment. I also love small scale versions of most things, so I have been admiring the small versions of Eames classics at Belkind Bigi in Tarrytown each time I take a stroll through their offerings. You’re probably all set, but you should definitely check them out!

12. Emme says:

Love the bedside table! Where is that from?

13. Camille says:

I love the custom made desk! It is so great.

14. Judith says:

What a great home! Love how it’s so personal, colorful, cozy, graphic and quirky!

15. Simone says:

I loooove this – I have nearly the exact same colour scheme on my walls at my house, both the dark and the light greys. Fab home, love all the details, pops of colour and little curios!

16. Annie says:

LOVE how graphic everything is! A perfect marriage of lived-in but thoughtful and pulled together. Looks amazing

17. April says:

I like this very very much. Beautiful.

18. Ann says:

Thi is soooo awsome! Work hard, and be nice to people – soo true;). Txh for great inspirations ald piece of amazing style. This blog is like picture of my solul:)

19. RAY says:

I love this place the use of the colour red is brilliant

20. Mary says:

Love the gray background to the pops of color.. vintage & fun pieces- great!!

21. Tia S. says:

This aesthetic is amazing; all the pops of color bring so much life.

22. Kelly Manas says:

Love the dark and light gray walls and the black and white bathroom. Modern Classic!

23. Jessica H says:

Impeccable style!

24. Toni says:

Love the deep blue/grey wall color – what is the name/brand?

25. Tagati says:

Luv the print (eat well and travel often). It would make a great gift for a friend of mine. Where could I obtain one?

26. Dana says:

I’d love to know the story and the source behind the “don’t buy green bananas” object. My grandfather used that term all the time!
    Lovely space you have!

27. Gianina says:

absolutely marvelous!

28. Guisela says:

29. Clarissa says:

Jessica, when can I move in?

30. Lisa L. says:

I am in love with that shower curtain! What a fabulous space.

Mostly Lisa

31. Meshach says:

In LOVE with the bedroom and big nit pillow.

32. Oohhh….. I love it all, especially your art work.

33. Therese says:

Love the wooden moulded chair by the entry wall. It kind of looks like this Normen Chair from In Style Modern

34. joy @ OSS says:

insanely beautiful and colourful space!

35. Fiona says:

I love everything in this house. sigh….

36. Marisa says:

This house is decorated by someone who clearly knows design, but I am surprised that my gut reaction to this house is a feeling a aggression. Maybe I’m mistaking boldness?

37. Whitney brown says:

WOuld love the brand and name of the gray you used in the front hall. It’s absolutely gorgeous.

38. SusanB says:

I love your place. It looks so awesome. I have some of the same pieces but my apartment doesn’t look as nice as yours. I picked up my pieces at flea markets and Craig’s list. I also picked up some at a store in Manhattan called Manhattan Home Design. Where did you find yours?

39. A Graphic Designer’s dream apartment I think.

40. Juliet says:

The bookcase!! I LOVE IT, would love to add something like that to my apartment. Alas I’m in Singapore so gotta look hard here. But enjoyed the beauty & design of this apartment.

41. Alex says:

Impressive !! Love it!

Somebody knows the brand of the sofa? Thanks !

42. Matt says:

I love the green fox cushion where is that from?

43. Enrique Romo says:

jessica hi i love your design, I would like to know where I can buy that stoole saw while in west elm or Horchow but no longer sold but could you help me to know where I can purchase it

44. Chloe says:

OH MY GOODNESS, wowee! I had no idea Jessie Walsh bought one of my prints!
    I am smiling so much right now, having seen it framed and sitting pretty in her gorgeous place :)

@Tagati – you can grab the “Eat Well Travel Often” print here –

C x

45. I love the playfulness – the mood & furniture comes across as serious and dark, but the pops of color and personality balance it out so well. Thanks for sharing the home tour of one of my favorite designers!

46. @MESHACH — Hi! The big knit pillow on her couch is a actually a big knit blanket and you can find it here:

47. Sam says:

Happy to see Flow on your shelf. I’m working with Csikszentmihalyi right now and that book has done more to change my outlook than anything else.