Living In: Perks of Being A Wallflower

When I was fourteen and entering my first year of high school, I didn’t really know quite what to expect. If the bulk of late 90s teen movies produced during my youth were any indication, high school was a scary, exciting place filled with sex, drugs, shopping, and actors in their thirties. When I entered high school on my first day of classes, I expected to find a tightly policed social hierarchy of nerds, jocks, and bleach-blonde cheerleaders. In reality, that couldn’t have been further than the truth. Rather than a Mean Girls-style social breakdown, the things that defined people and their lives mirrored the real world— meaning that they were far more nuanced than the two-dimensional Freaks n’ Geeks of film. What sets the 2012 teen flick Perks of Being A Wallflower apart from the standard adolescent fodder is not that it strays from these often hackneyed stereotypes, but that it utilizes them in such a refreshingly accurate way. Directed by Stephen Chbosky, the author of the beloved novel that the film is based on, Perks tells the funny and poignant story of an introverted fifteen year-old named Charlie. Plagued by a troubled past and a not-too-distant mental collapse, Charlie begins his freshman year of high school as a loner, observing life from the periphery. It isn’t until after befriending a misfit band of seniors that Charlie’s formerly quiet life becomes turned upside down as he experiences love, lust, and deep friendship for the first time.

Although the plot line of Perks might sound familiar, Chbosky’s expert direction and connection to his characters allows for a film that pulsates with life and believability. With strong performances by Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller, and a post-Potter Emma Watson, the film’s heartbreaking sincerity and razor-sharp wit add new dimensions to the standard teen movie tropes. —Max

1. Floral Skater Dress | 2. Portable Manual Typewriter | 3. Vintage Blender | 4. The Catcher In The Rye | 5. Rocky Horror Picture Show | 6. Girls’ Skinny Headbands | 7. Mixtape USB Drive | 8. Benjamin Moore New Lime Paint | 9. Red Solo Cups

1. Green Skinny Suit | 2. Eskuche Headphones | 3. Smiths Poster | 4. Trapper Keeper | 5. Smashbox Lipstick | 6. Black Le Pen | 7. Green Le Pen | 8. The Beatles White Album on Vinyl | 9. Vintage Panasonic Boombox

Film: Perks of Being A Wallflower

Year: 2012

Director: Stephen Chbosky

Starring: Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller, Emma Watson, Paul Rudd, Mae Whitman, Dylan McDermott

Production Design: Inbal Weinberg

Art Direction: Gregory Weimerskirch

Set Decoration: Merissa Lombardo

Costume Design: David C. Robinson

1. sarah McFalls says:

Catcher in the link for the book is misspelled. Just thought you might want to know. Neat article!

2. Love this series! Great movie pick.

3. Sammy says:

This was such a great film… and book! Stephen Chbosky really did a great job.
    Love this post and your picks.

4. Joyce says:

LOVE this movie!!

5. Susie says:

I LOVED this movie. I was so happy it lived up to the book… even when authors are involved it’s not always the case. I wish that dress wasn’t so expensive otherwise I’d be all over it.

6. Likethewrap says:

this is such a fantastic movie. We rented it a one that only I would watch and my husband loved it just as much.

7. Anne Magee says:

Love the Smiths poster! Have yet to see the movie, but want to!

8. Tammy says:

This is a fantastic book. I’ve been reluctant to watch the movie, because I worried it wouldn’t live up to the novel, but this post has me almost convinced.

9. laura says:

Really enjoyed this film after reading the book. In the film, Emma Watson wears a really pretty star necklace and i’ve been looking for a similar one since!

10. Christina Myal says:

Graphic Designer Christina Myal!

11. Sean says:

I love this movie! The book was even better, but the movie did a pretty darn good job of bringing it to the big screen. Believe it or not #7 the Mixtape USB was created by a little student run company in LA after seeing Perks of Being a Wallflower and being inspired to share some mixtapes. Fun Fact of the Day =]