Leslie Lewis Sigler

When it comes to paintings, I tend to fall in love with two specifics styles: colorful abstracts and simple still lifes that focus on kitchen or food subjects. I have a small one of each in my home (A painted jar of pickles by Chelsea James next to my sink and an abstract landscape by Zoe Pawlak in my living room) and they always make me happy when I walk by. These beautiful paintings of silverware by Leslie Lewis Sigler fall into one of my favorite categories and have such life and history in them.

Leslie explained that she had attended a number of weddings and funerals during recent years and, through her participation in these events, became fascinated with the concept of family heirlooms. China, silverware and serving sets, “seem to have an eternal life” to Leslie and she was interested in the way they connect families together by being handed down from generation to generation. Her ‘Silver’ series is my favorite. I love the way she describes it: “[This] series studies a family­—or a species­—of objects that vary in shape, size, function, detail and condition, not unlike a human family…or relatives. En mass they are a family portrait.” It’s such a beautiful way to imagine everyday objects and give them the reverence and respect they so often deserve for playing trusted and repeated roles in our family lives. Click here to view the full series and more of Leslie’s work online. I’m going to be staring at the spoon and fork for a while- they make me want to (attempt to) paint the silverware I eat with every day. They’re like the unspoken members of my little Brooklyn family. xo, grace

*You can see a sneak peek of Leslie’s gorgeous home on D*S right here

1. I absolutely love these, such a great vintage feel to them.

2. Tia Stockton says:

This is such a great way to preserve and enjoy these heirlooms. I always thought it would be hard to know whether or not to actually use these treasures, or keep them hidden in a box or a storage cupboard where you aren’t able to enjoy their beauty. This is the perfect solution!

3. Kelly oshiro says:

Go Leslie! So happy she painted one of my favorite silver pieces from my collection

4. Cathy says:

Love these! I think you might really like the work of an artist friend of mine. Take a look at some of her funky still life’s here: http://www.pottleart.com/PottleArt/Epic_Works.html

5. ally says:

these are so classical. still lifes are always my favorite.

6. Jill pottle says:

Oh I love this stuff. Check out my web site and you will know why!!! Reflections galore and knives and forks and spooooons.

7. Carin says:

These are amazing and so beautiful. Ms. Sigler has an eye. Both in graphic layout and how to really “see” as a painter. Not much out there gives me pause to actually write a comment.