Editor’s Letter: April 2013 (Big News)

Last week I had a realization. As hard as it is to say, I feel like I’ve always been 100% honest with all of you, and it’s time to come clean: design is no longer my true passion. Sure, it’s been fun talking about beautiful homes and products for the past nine years, but something has been missing. And while I was reading the comments under the March Instagram Pet Challenge, I realized I needed to stay true to my heart. So many of you left comments that suggested I was unfairly favoring small dogs. And you were right. I’ve been working so hard to suppress my love for a different animal (in an attempt to keep things fair) that I swung too far in the other direction and forgot the animal with which my allegiance truly lies: cats.

Starting today, there are going to be some changes around here. Amy, Max and I had a long and serious talk, and we all agreed: it’s time to change Design*Sponge. So today you’re going to see some major changes taking place. We’ll continue to post homes, products and projects, but from the only perspective that truly matters: a cat’s.

Over the next month we’ll be making the transition from a full-time design site to a full-time cat site. We’ll be slowly phasing out design content over the next 30 days (so you’ll still see some non-cat posts for the next few weeks) and will happily be accepting any and all cat-related submissions. We will, however, no longer be accepting design-related submissions. I hope you all understand our need to stay true to ourselves and what really means the most to us as a team. From our cats to yours, Grace

1. Clay Walsh says:

Are you changing the direction of your radio show as well? After the Pounce?

1. Grace Bonney says:

Lol- Clay you always have the best name ideas. ;)

2. Melissa S. says:

I really approve of this change. I’ve never been a cat person myself, but I’m excited and ready for Cat*Sponge to open my mind to new directions in cat-based design and products. I may even have to consider getting a cat so I can take better advantage of all your posts and suggestions!

3. nori l. says:

I am confused and upset about the comments making this sound like an April’s Fool joke. It is obvious that you are serious about this new blog direction, and I for one could not approve of it more. Did you know during the latest economic downturn, only pet related businesses and telecommunications showed growth? What, do you all want her to blog about cell phones?? NAY, I say.
    Are we, Grace’s devoted readers, going to deny her the opportunity to lead the way into a new, more cat-centric economy? I am with you, Grace, even if there are others who do not grasp the vision.

4. Tammy says:

This is hilarious/awesome! :) Love the sense of humor and “all-in” attitude: from the left-hand side bar, to the top banner and multiple cat posts! AmAzing.

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks tammy.

check out the top right “i want to” list ;)

5. Bethany says:

You have just solidified your spot as my favorite site on the internet.

6. Claire says:

The impending problem that you may or may not have anticipated is that I’m starting to prefer Cat*Sponge to Design*Sponge.

7. Leslie says:

My dog was p*ssed..but then I told him it was the 1st

8. Morgan says:

Anyone who follows your Instagram feed had to know this day was coming! I wonder what the Friday recipes will bring ;)

9. abby says:

It took me much longer than it should have to figure this one out! High fives and three cheers from me, and my cats: Omaha, Sweet Lil, and Odds.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Such good cat names, well done ;)

10. Adri says:

Ha ha! Love cats!! I’m a fan.

11. Sullivan says:

I look forward to Sarah’s new floral column on which non toxic flowers & foliage are best for cat snacking each season and which vases tip over most easily to allow for maximum cat enjoyment!

12. YES! This is a dream come true!

13. Danielle says:

Awesome. My new favourite website!

14. Polly says:

Yaay! Love the creative thinking that led you to this decision – a site/blog after my own cat-like heart.

15. hokidoki says:

I am very gullible so if it’s true, I am sad…sad…sad….as I am not a cat person

16. Tulisa says:

I am so glad I came across this blog, why is it so hard to find everything you are looking for in one spot, I love cats and I’m currently redecorating my house and you have given me so many great ideas. Thank you so much

17. Great news, Anouk is already happy while she sleeps on her Ikea PS Chair… (Cats love design! )

18. Jennifer says:

I can’t believe it, I’ve trusted your decor advice for years… what kind of cat advice could compare? Oh well, no sense crying over spilt milk!

19. Kat says:

Do you really need to keep sponge in the title? The word “cat” is so fabulous in and of itself that nothing further is needed …

20. nancy says:

not going to lie… I really would love to see a post about chevron printed kitty litter boxes!

also VERY happy about the change!

21. Ashlee says:

As a design addict and pet industry professional. I. Love. It! There’s lots more cats on the @SwheatScoop social media pages for a month long eco- challenge. Gracey, you should volunteer as a guest contributor for their campaign and infuse your cat inspired design knowledge!

22. Amelia says:

I’d love to have my cats guest-post some week. They’ve been working on an amazing diy tutorial on shredding upholstery. If that’s not up your “alley”, maybe a photo essay on covering every surface in fur will do the trick?

23. Kim says:

So hilarious, I love it!!! Happy April Fools Day!

24. Catherine says:

cat sponge! that’s the best april fool’s ever!

25. Noëlle says:

Good one Grace! haha (Hey, but I think a sister-site may be in order!)

26. Pamela says:

My cats Mao and Coco highly approve of this switch since they feel that my recent home decorating projects have not taken their needs enough into account.

27. Carly says:

Not going to lie, didn’t exactly know what was happening there for a moment and I don’t really subscribe to April Fools so I panicked a bit there. I can’t stand cats so I’ll be glad when this joke is over :) Cat Sponge does have a nice ring to it though…

28. Katy Gilmore says:

Dear Catitor Bonney, It is with great pleasure I read of your timely decision. I do hope you will take into consideration that a cat’s reading/scrolling time is very short during busy days full of pressing obligations involving sleep. For future planning, as I am sure you will want to include my kind of cat in your Style Icon feature, it would be a black and white post. Purrs, Frances

29. Jamie says:

Yay Cat-Sponge! Will you be conducting Cat-Interviews? Will After the Jump now be After the Pounce? Can you please feature how to entertain and have cat house parties?? I never know what to serve besides tuna and milk!

30. sare says:

This actually made me cry. Brilliant. Thank you for the much needed laugh. My cat, Mr. Roly-Poly sends his regards.

31. LOL!!! Cat*Sponge!!! Brilliant!!! My Sewing Assistant heartily approves. When he is not napping on my sewing/design materials, that is. :)

32. LOL!!!! Cat*Sponge! If it didn’t smack of doing work around the place, I’m sure my Sewing Assistant would heartily approve…when he is not napping on top of my design/sewing materials, that is. :) Brilliant!

33. Stefanie Smith says:

Wow. You had me scared for a minute! (Though I do love cats.) Well done!

34. Jenny says:

i wish there were cat paws playing with the ribbons on the website! <3 cats!

1. Grace Bonney says:

ah! i wish i’d thought of that ;)

35. Katie says:

Oh my goodness. The comments are almost as good as the whole thought of D*S becoming C*S. PRICELESS.

36. Erin says:

It’s actually April 2nd here in Australia… I got a bit upset over my coffee, even started thinking of a Pinterest board I could dedicate to D*S. Well played guys, well played

37. Sorry about the double post – I blame whichever cat was working on the server at the time. Your “I want to” list is hysterical!

38. Katy says:

Purrrrfect. You will, of course be investing in those collar cam things so we get a true vision from those kitties…

39. This was well-written enough that I thought it was real for a quick second!

Honestly, I wouldn’t say no to an occasional cat meme post.

40. Audra Y says:

I can see the new columns now! “In the litterbox with,” “Small Meowsures,” “Human/House/Hairball”…. now that’s content I can sink my claws into!

41. June says:

My Cat is king of the before and afters, some examples:
    Before- Rug flat in middle of living room
    After- Rug Crumpled in corner
    Before-Glass of water on counter
    After-Broken glass in puddle on kitchen floor

Seriously Grace, Ill send you his CV!

42. Bex says:

Phew! My heart was racing there…yeah, you got me on that April Fool’s prank! I was seriously going to cry because I wouldn’t know where to get my fix!