DIY: Polka Dot Copper Tape Planter

I’ve gone planter crazy lately so I’ve been looking for creative DIY planter projects to share here on D*S. Thankfully a great one landed in my inbox a few weeks above from D*S reader Tempest of Ellomennopee. Tempest is an electrical engineer, so she works with copper tape on a regular basis. It’s a great material because not only is it cute and shiny, but it repels snails! So Tempest decided to make polka dots from copper tape using a punch. The self-adhesive tape attaches to the outside of the pot and looks just like paint. It’s a quick and easy how-to that’s perfect for after work – and getting you outside in the yard for a bit. Thanks so much to Tempest for sharing this with us! xo, grace

The full how-to continues after the jump…

Materials:
-self-adhesive copper tape
-hole punch
-plain vase

Instructions:

1. Remove the floor of your punch over a bin and clear out any waste confetti pieces

2. Punch holes in the copper tape and save the dots

3. Stick the dots to your vase. Try to make them evenly spaced out and start off sparse and build up to a higher density.

1. liz says:

Just did my porch cleanup last night and I’m going to put some copper dots on my pots!

Thanks.

2. Adorable and this one is pretty easy!

3. faviator says:

if only copper tape weren’t so expensive :(.

4. Ann says:

Love this! So cute and easy. Ideas are flowing now!

5. I am a big believer in always having a roll of copper tape around! It’s also fantastic for creating copper stripes around all sorts of vessels. For those of you that don’t want to spring for the tape, I’ve had really good results with using copper leafing paint that you can pick up in most big craft stores. I use the eraser end of a pencil, dip it in the paint, dot it on the planter, and let it dry. I usually spray a coat of finish to make it more durable, but that’s optional :)

6. christina says:

a very cute way to deter snails too!

7. Sprout says:

Any tips to keep it from oxidizing?

8. nish says:

thats a smart idea… :)

9. Tempest says:

Hi all, this is Tempest, the author of this DIY. Until this is linked to my blog, you can find me at http://www.ellomennopee.com :)

PS: Faviator, adhesive copper tape is super cheap, you can get it for just a few pounds online.

10. great post. I have never thought about using copper tape like this- there are other foil tapes and mirror tape in gold and silver available too. I also use Draper punch pliers for making even smaller dots and fiskars circle punches for bigger.

I am going to get on my pencil pots right away!- thank you

11. Jeanne says:

Thank you for this great idea! It allowed me to carry this idea a little further, in that I have some stained glass copper foil tape that I can use for punching dots—or using as stripes.