Although I’m calling this a bird feeder for form’s sake, in my house, this is cat TV. I’ve seen the way my cats look longingly out the window wishing for a bird or two. For a moment, a pair of pigeons considered roosting on my air conditioner. But a quick google search assured me that I did not want to encourage this behavior so I gently convinced the pair to find another home – to the utter disappointment of my cats. I’ve been trying to think of a way to make it up to them. I decided to attempt a bird feeder and cross my fingers that I would attract something other than a pigeon. –Amy Azzarito
Photographs by Maxwell Tielman
See the full how-to after the jump!
- 4 cups mixed bird seed
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 T. corn syrup
- cooking spray
- waxed paper
- cookie cutters (we used these)
- Combine birdseed, flour, water, and corn syrup in a mixing bowl.
- Spray cookies cutters and a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Using a spoon, pack the bird seed mixture into the cookie cutters.
- Use a straw to poke a hole for the twine. (Leave the straw in the mixture)
- Let dry overnight. If the mixture is still wet, bake in the oven on the lowest setting for an hour or so.
- Hang outside for the birds!