DIY: Bird Feeder

Although I’m calling this a bird feeder for form’s sake, in my house, this is cat TV. I’ve seen the way my cats look longingly out the window wishing for a bird or two. For a moment, a pair of pigeons considered roosting on my air conditioner. But a quick google search assured me that I did not want to encourage this behavior so I gently convinced the pair to find another home – to the utter disappointment of my cats. I’ve been trying to think of a way to make it up to them. I decided to attempt a bird feeder and cross my fingers that I would attract something other than a pigeon. –Amy Azzarito

Photographs by Maxwell Tielman

See the full how-to after the jump!

• 4 cups mixed bird seed
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 T. corn syrup
  • cooking spray
  • waxed paper
  • cookie cutters (we used these)
  • twine

1. Combine birdseed, flour, water, and corn syrup in a mixing bowl.
  2. Spray cookies cutters and a baking sheet with cooking spray.
  3. Using a spoon, pack the bird seed mixture into the cookie cutters.
  4. Use a straw to poke a hole for the twine. (Leave the straw in the mixture)
  5. Let dry overnight. If the mixture is still wet, bake in the oven on the lowest setting for an hour or so.
  6. Hang outside for the birds!
  1. such a great idea..thas cute!

2. Beccy says:

This is such a lovely idea. I’m sure all birds would love these tasty treats!

3. Jennifer says:

What a sweet way to welcome Spring!

4. Great idea, I am going to make this with my 8 yr old son.

5. These are adorable! What a great idea.

6. nicole says:

that is such a cute idea and a great activity for kids.

7. Prajakta says:

I love the way cats are so obsessed with birdies. But its always the squirrels and sometimes rats that take a major bite out of a bird feeder treat.

8. Amy Azzarito says:

Prajakta! Rats!!!!!! Don’t say that! xoAmy

9. Jeanne says:

From experience, and a lot of reading, I know that birds such as pigeons and doves like to feed on “tray-like” devices (or the ground), where they can walk around. Other birds, such as cardinals, like to perch and peck, so your bird-food goodies will attract them. If you have squirrels… they will do almost ANYTHING for food. But at least they’re entertaining!

10. Ayumi says:

So incredibly cute and easy to do! And you can use any form you want! Love the idea thanks!

11. Cat says:

I’ve got to try this out. I am going to add some plain Thai Chili Powder to the mix. Bird don’t react to hot pepper and this will discourage our neighborhood squirrels and raccoons.

12. Grace says:

My son is having a natured-themed birthday party. This will be one of the activities & serves as party favor! I’ll oven-dry them for maximum travel ability. Thanks for sharing this!

13. Kellie says:

I made a large one of these in a bundt pan and then hung it as a wreath on our door! Add plain gelatin to it, it will help it stick together.

14. Such a cute bird feeder activity! I like to do simple arts and crafts activities to promote language development.

15. Zoe AZ says:

Is it necessary to use flour? Because I read online that bread is really bad for birds because it molds really quick. So can I make it without adding flour?