Before & After: Jacqueline’s Home Office

Today’s first before & after is all about home offices. Despite working from home for eight years, I never set up a proper office and I regret it to this day. I think I probably would have been a lot more productive. But thankfully Jacqueline is smarter than I am and decided to change over her room to create a colorful place to work. The room’s previous life as a nursery changed is now long-gone and the space doubles as both a great place for Jacqueline to work on her wedding photography business and a room to house visiting guests. Thanks to Jacqueline for sharing with us! xo, grace

More photos and details from Jacqueline on the process after the jump…

When we bought our 1920’s craftsman in San Diego last summer, the wood floors appeared to be original and were worn down to the final layer, so our first move was to put in new red oak flooring throughout the entire house. A big step, but totally worthwhile! With the shiny new floor in place in my new office, we painted over the large tree mural left over from the previous owner’s nursery, which instantly brightened the space. My tall desk, which allows me to work at the computer while both standing and sitting, fit well along the wall nearest the door and the rest of the room came together around that.

I went with lots of white shelving to serve as storage and a way to display my camera gear, books, and other knickknacks without cluttering up the room. The low, neutral light gray couch was a great Ikea find and it adds some texture and comfy spot to think things over or read when I take a break from editing. Since it pulls out into a queen bed, complete with slats for support, it also allows the room to double as a guest bedroom when friends are in town. My favorite part was adding the art and pops of color like the strings of polaroids, the bright yellow chevron carpet, patterned pillows, a sheepskin throw, a large canvas print of one of my images, a lamp, hammered brass bowl, and a brass sea urchin from Nate Berkus by Target, and some pretty magazines, etc. to make the space my own.

1. Vanessa says:

I love how the yellow chevron rug really stands out. This makes me want to do a little redecorating in my own home office.

2. Nat says:

great transformation! can I ask where the drafting chair came from? I’m looking for one just like it..

3. jodi says:

beautiful space!

4. Manon says:

Thanks for sharing ! it’s lovely !

5. Amanda says:

That desk chair looks like the most uncomfortable chair ever. No way she works in that office for more than an hour a day.

6. Abbey says:

Love the transformation!

7. Lizabeth says:

Love it! Ditto on the desk chair – where did you find it AND the desk?

8. Melissa says:

That looks like the Franklin barstool from Ikea to me… http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40199211/#/00199208

I love the standing desk! So many Ikea-hack type designs I’ve seen are messy looking and complicated, but that is simple and chic.

9. Lena says:

I love the polaroid picture hanger. Where can you get those? Or is it DIY?

10. ann says:

Love the gorilla print!

11. Shannon H. says:

Great room! Love the tall desk and rug. Where did you get the rug?

12. Meg says:

Love the desk! Where is it from?

13. Jennifer says:

Thanks for sharing Jaqueline’s home office space. I’m looking at renovating mine as well, and was thinking about what kind of desk options I should consider. I’m not sure if this would be a comfortable solution, could you comment?

14. eleanor says:

Half of our living room recently became my partner’s office and we did the exact same ikea butcher block/legs standing desk, it was cheaper and sleeker than any other standing desk option i could find.
    And of course i think it looks fabulous!

15. Mel Cole says:

I have been looking for a desk like this, where is it from?! Nice job on the room!

16. Ann says:

Ditto to Meg, where is the standing desk from?

17. skyebird says:

The desk is beautiful, where did you get it?

18. Lelde says:

Great job. A light, intellectual space with a whimsical touch.

19. Ali W says:

LOVE this! J, your space is so clean and fresh! AND totally you.

20. Kathleen Alltop Ray says:

Is that a futon or a fold out couch bed ? I thought I would do this for teenage children room .. Because of the space .. Thank you ..

21. Jacqueline says:

22. Jacqueline says:

Thanks so much everyone! Okay here we go… The chair is from Ikea (Melissa is right – it’s still available) and while it may look sleek and uncomfortable, it totally works for me, even for long days. The desk and desk legs are from the Ikea ‘custom’ desk/table section. The tall desk was actually my hubby’s idea and has been great to get me out of my seat, able to move around but still be at the computer during phone meetings, etc. The yellow chevron rug is from Urban Outfitters and still available I believe. The polaroid picture hanger is an easy DIY with metal clips from Ikea and baker’s twine/pushpins from the internet/a craft store. The couch is from Ikea and isn’t a traditional futon, but flips out into a proper bed with slats for support. Hope that’s helpful!

23. Leigh says:

Love the ikat pillow on the couch, can you share where it’s from? Thanks!!

24. Tara says:

How is that couch for sleeping? Our guest room is also where we watch movies and the kids play video games, so I’m looking for a budget sofa bed that won’t be horrible for guests.

25. Jacqueline says:

Forgot to add…The sofa is from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89929208/#/S89875658) and works great as a guest bed since it ‘flips out’ onto a set of slats that pull out of the bottom of the couch, making it more comfy like a real bed. The ikat pillow’s from C Wonder!

26. Kat says:

My heart broke when I saw the loving crocodile mother on top of the bookshelf.. and the golden fox! Beautifully arranged professional & personal things. Or professionally and personally arranged beautiful things.!

27. Alison says:

Oohhh I love it!

28. Love your before & afters! Always feel like changing things up a little in my own place after checking those!

29. Meg says:

Love the sofa bed and yellow carpet! Thanks for posting the product info.

30. James Booker says:

I really want to convert my spare bedroom into a bedroom/office space but I’m renting and it’s so hard to figure out what to do!

:s

31. Danielle says:

What color paint did you use on your walls? A pale yellow or cream?

32. Amy says:

For people asking about the desk, I wanted to say that I made one just like this with IKEA products for my own home office+guest room. The legs are GERTON adjustable legs (note: the OLOV legs are also adjustable but aren’t high enough for a standing desk) attached to one of their butcher block countertops. Simple and sturdy. It does wobble a bit if I push on it, but not while I’m typing or writing at it.