30 Green Beauty Finds

I have to admit, that I hate throwing the word “green” in front of nouns, but it’s tougher than you might think to come up with a better descriptor. And since I’ve been staring at my computer for a full ten minutes, trying to decide between natural, chemical-free, eco-friendly,  I’m just going to move on. But maybe we can agree that that a green product should strive to be organic, use few chemicals and abstain from animal testing and generally strive to be environmentally friendly. I’ve put together a list of natural beauty products that have some real mojo. My favorite tip for ultra soft skin comes from my yoga teachers – one day a week, take an oil bath. And my absolute favorite lipstick is organic and sustainable. We got a lot of great recommendations on Twitter and Facebook, but let me know if your favorite has been left off the list! –Amy Azzarito

Image above: 1. Burts Bees, Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream $3.49 (This was a lifesaver when we were on the book tour!) | 2. Farmaesthetic Fine Herbal Cleanser $36 (Made in Rhode Island, this is one of my favorite natural brands) | 3. lip balm flights $15 | 4. Cream $12/$32| 5. kure bazaar $16 (Made in France, 85% of the ingredients | 6. Tammy Fender beautifying hair serum $65 | 7. detachable long handle boar bristle brush $18.62 | 8. Berry Fruit Bar Cleanser by Arcona $42 | 9. arnica muscle gel $24 ( a must for sore muscles) | 10. Ilia, Arabian Knights $24 | 11. lip balm – pitta $4.99 (A lip balm geared toward your Ayurvedic dosha!)

See all the beauty finds after the jump!

Image above: 1. Earth Tu Face Skin Stick $34 | 2. Suki Renewal Bio-Resurfacing Facial Peel $82.95 | 3. maracuja blush & glow $16 | 4. grapefruit mint soap $9 | 5. vegan lip balm $4 | 6. best skin ever – seabuckthorn $30 | 7. emerginC scientific organics kombucha cleanser $34 | 8. honest lotion $9.95 | 9. Discover Kit by Odacité $29

Image above: 1. los poblanos lavender honey soap $12 | 2. healthy skin foundation $32 | 3. activated charcoal cleanser $32 | 4. fig + yarrow pink love salts $32 | 5. plumping lip balm $12 | 6. trust 317 plumping lip gloss $22 | 7. fruit pigmented mascara $18 | 8. big sur trail crew soap $35 | 9. sweet almond oil $31.50 | 10. cream concealer $20

1. I love Tarte and Bareminerals, especially the latter’s mascara and mineral veil powder. What a great list, Amy. I’ll have to check out Ilia as well.

2. Tracy says:

I can attest to the 100% Pure Cosmetics mascara. It’s the only mascara that does not irritate my eyes while lengthening my lashes.

3. Amanda says:

I am always on the hunt for “green” beauty products. My fave are Tarte, Josie Maran and Jurlique.

4. Some great products, love Burt’s Bees, I’ve been using their lip balm for years.

5. Elise says:

Burt’s Bees is one of the most reliable, generally chemical-free companies that I’ve found. It’s very affordable and does exactly what you expect. I recently bought their spray-on deodorant and it’s made with 100% natural ingredients. Far better than the aluminum found in our everyday products!

6. jen_cam says:

Though some MAC products cost more, I like their “Back to MAC” program. Almost any of their packaging can be returned via mail or to store for recycling. If you return 6 containers one can get a free lipstick (or sometimes other items if you go to a store). I also enjoy Antipodes natural skincare items out of New Zealand.

7. Rosalin says:

Ilia’s lipstick has been my favorite ever since you first featured it on D*S. Thanks so much for sharing such an amazing product!

8. Danni says:

What about good old Dr. Bronner’s soap?

9. Heather says:

Diana, bareminerals cosmetics are NOT green/organic. Check out ewg.com for the info!

10. Jeanne says:

I love Dr Bronners too, especially their baby soap and lip balm. I’d omit Burts Bees though. They’re owned by Clorox and bleach is not quite so green.

11. Lovely to see Rhode Island represented! The state is so small you would think I would have known about Farmaesthetics…OOPS.

12. Well I’m a big environmentalist and I’ve been thinking lately about how to get my hands on green shampoo and the likes. I’m pretty sure natural ingredients are much better for a person’s hair anyway. There must be all sorts of nasty chemicals in normal shampoo.

I’d recommend everyone to use Ecover products for day to day cleaning. Good for the environment and for you!

13. Carine says:

I highly recommend SOAPWALLA deodorant cream as green deodorant. It’s made locally in Brooklyn and very efficient.
    Carine from Paris

14. Hillary says:

I absolutely love Tarte, too, but loved hearing about so many other brands! I have super sensitive eyes, and Tarte’s mascara is one that I swear by: http://www.sephora.com/lights-camera-lashes-P111902?skuId=862417

Also, Heather, you’re right that bareMinerals isn’t organic, but many of their products are formulated without things like parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances & dyes, and phthalates, so depending on what folks are looking for it may work for them.

15. Meredith says:

I second the recommendation for the Soapwalla deodorant. I just started using it, and it is by far the most effective natural deodorant that I have tried.

It even passed the gym test!

16. Molly says:

Another great company is LUSH: http://www.lushusa.com/ I recently discovered them on a trip out to Colorado while in Boulder. They have stores all over the country and the stuff is amazing! I bought the Fair Trade Foot Lotion, cuticle cream, shampoo bar and mint sugar lip scrub. They also only buy products from companies that do not test on animals. If you look at the ingredient list in the products you recognize everything in it! Here is what they say on their website:
    We Believe… in making effective products from fresh*, organic* fruit and vegetables, the finest essential oils and safe synthetics.

Check them out!

17. CKZ says:

Love This! I have recently switched to all paraben free and as natural as possible and my skin is loving it! Ren is a phenomenal skin care brand, LOVE the Cleansing Balm, it’s like a little spa treatment every night. Tarte Maracuja Oil is phenomenal, as are a lot of their cosmetics, especially their mascara. And I am huge Korres fan, especially their lip butter, as a matter of fact, I am addicted to it, and the Basil shower gel is light and lovely. One thing I have not been able to find a suitable natural replacement for is YSL Touche Eclat. I just can’t find anything that works as well for under eye shadows. If anyone has a replacement to try, I would love to know.

18. Stacy says:

I also don’t care to throw the word “green” around, because it gets thrown around entirely too much (greenwashing, anyone). Also, because there is NO regulation on cosmetics, any company can say that they are “green” or “natural” without any sort of accountability or consequences. They are not required to list all of their ingredients (who knows what’s actually lurking in your cosmetics) and the ingredients aren’t typically thoroughly tested by third parties for safety. I used to love Burt’s Bees and trusted them, but ever since Clorox bought them, I just can’t bring myself to use their products. I like to check the integrity of my cosmetics with safecosmetics.org and the ewg.org database. It’s not fool proof, but better that I make informed decisions than trust a government or retail company to have my best interests at heart. Your skin is your largest organ- we should all be mindful of what it consumes. I hope that the legislation that is being presented, lately, will be passed and be another step towards safer cosmetics and accountability for makers of cosmetics.

19. Deirdre says:

This is a great roundup – a lot of products I’ve never heard of and am mildly obsessed with finding safe and healthy beauty stuff. Psyched to try the lipstick and mascara, especially! I love tarte but couldn’t stand their mascara. I also love Farmaesthetics (found them at a spa in RI) and like their Eye Bright make-up remover/treatment oil. I also love Weleda’s Skin Food and finally have to tout my beautycounter line, of course. It’s not all organic but all about eliminating toxins — as Stacy mentions there are few regulations around long-term safety of cosmetics and personal care products. My fave BC products are the Lustro Face Oil #1 Calendula, the face cleanser and exfoliator.

20. Prepare yourself for product recommendation overload.

Dr. Alkaitis’ oil for face, body and hair is AMAZING and it smells so luxurious and spa like. I run a little through wet hair and find it adds shine and tames frizz — and it’s organic and natural and wonderful.

Vapour makes some of the best makeup around. Their creamstick foundations are super blendable and make you glow!

Jane Iredale is another great cosmetics company that makes completely mineral based makeup, with no bismuth oxychloride like Bare Escentuals (which a lot of people, me included, have reactions to). Their blushes and eyeshadows give great coverage, in pretty shades, and last for-freaking-ever.

A super pricey but effective moisturizer is Tata Harper’s Rebuilding Moisturizer. It is the ONLY natural moisturizer I’ve ever used that leaves a matte finish. While oils are great and feel good on the skin, let’s face it, they can leave you a bit shiny!

And I would be remiss if I didn’t insist everyone try RMS products. Their Living Luminizer is the ONLY highlighter you will ever need. It’s not sparkly or shimmery at all — it just makes you look super awake, refresh, and glowing (and again, one tiny pot lasts a longgggg time).

Almost all of the above are available at Spirit Beauty Lounge, which sells only natural beauty products (and I don’t work for them, I swear). http://www.spiritbeautylounge.com/

I converted almost all of my bath, beauty, and cosmetic products to naturals a few years ago and have spent way too much time and money experimenting with brands…clearly.

21. Cindy says:

I think I am going to use some of these products, I think the prices are okay. Calling it green products is hilarious. Thank you for this post.

22. Dean says:

This is my go to product. I swear by it for most things: http://purechimp.com/product/pure-chimp-natural-cream/

I use it a lot of it, so I am hoping the price will drop in the future.