25 Great Plant Markers

It’s impossible for me to think about Earth Day and not think about planting all sorts of flowers, trees and plants. Though I’m relegated to the smaller indoor variety at home, I still like to keep an eye out for cute tools and markers that make gardening easier or more organized. So to kick off the day I thought I’d share 25 plant markers that would help get your spring gardening off to a great start. From copper and wooden styles to tiny slate boards and hand-painted porcelain, the vast majority of these are affordable, handmade and produced by independent designers. I hope you’ll find something to get your garden going in style. xo, grace

Image above: Ceramic garden markers $5

Image above, clockwise from top left: Wooden plant markers $18, Clay Garden Labels, Recycled copper herb markers $20, Wooden plant markers $16

Image above: Clay herb markers $17.40

Image above, top to bottom: Copper garden markers $20 for 3, Ceramic garden markers $12

Image above, top to bottom: White garden markers $22, Terra Cotta garden markers $20

Image above, clockwise from top left: Copper herb markers $22.50, Aluminum garden markers $22, Ceramic plant markers $2.95, Slate garden markers $14.50

Image above, clockwise from top left: Round herb markers $21, Set of 20 plant clips $10, Plant markers $28 for 6, Clay garden markers $15

Image above, top to bottom: Personalized plant markers $40, Stamped garden markers $15

Image above, clockwise from top left: Spoon markers $36, Etched wooden markers $12, Copper markers $18, Ceramic garden markers $15

Image above: Lace-inspired plant markers $15

1. We featured a few of the same Etsy sellers last week in our garden markers round up. I finally bought my herbs at the Park Slope farmers’ market on Saturday, so I need to make a decision for my labels!

2. Very cute and useful, I just planted my herb garden and these would be so cute.

3. Bex says:

I love these markers – so chic and so much incentive to re-use year after year. The spoons are my favorite.

4. These are all lovely and i would buy pretty ones for indoor plants. But gardening can become very expensive and if you just need to label outdoor plants you need to make your own! These are my ideas: http://www.apartmentapothecary.com/wordpress/?photo=plant-markers

5. Tia S. says:

These are incentive enough to start a garden! So cute.

6. Isabelle says:

What a creative lot of herb markers. Now if I could only get something to grow I’d be in business.

7. Laura says:

Yeah they are all super cute but most people buy their herbs as starts, not from seed.
    Things do get expensive in the garden and these are superfluous. I sure hope that most humans can tell the difference between oregano and basil without a sign!

8. Samantha says:

This is for the person who doesn’t have a clue about gardening — they’re in it for the props and styling. Real gardeners would recycle a popsicle stick, plastic spoon or something like that.

1. Grace Bonney says:

There are a wide range of gardeners out there, many of whom don’t think it’s crazy to buy or use plant markers.

Yes, you can easily use spoons and sticks, but the point of Design*Sponge is to present a range of options. In addition to simple DIY ideas (coming up tomorrow), I wanted to provide resources for buying some if you don’t feel like making them.

It’s just plain rude to suggest that someone who uses these doesn’t know about gardening. If you really feel that way you might want to give Martha Stewart a call. She always shows beautiful plant markers online that she has in her own home. And she’s a pretty experienced gardener….

9. Sarah says:

Well said Grace!! Three cheers for aesthetically appealing gardening tools!!

10. Danielle says:

Love all the choices! Such a creative way to spice up your garden beds. Thanks for sharing.

11. Sarah says:

Thanks for including our Geometric Herb Plant Markers on your blog. What a gorgeous collection of plant markers you’ve found. Plant markers are not only functional, but look great and are lots of fun to make! https://www.etsy.com/listing/123954969/geometric-white-herb-garden-plant

12. Will says:

A little late to the party here but thought I’d share the Seed.io Tag labels I’m using in my garden. They let you keep notes about each place you label on your phone so you can remember when you did something last, … like plated the seeds. I’d love ideas how to make them look prettier.

Here’s the tag in one of my planters this year.

13. Alecia says:

Wonderful information shared by you! Often I use http://www.idealgardenmarkers.com for shopping designed and durable garden markers and Now I’ve a huge collection of markers by Ideal Garden Markers.