Sneak Peek: Jessica McKay and Christopher Van Buskirk

by

Jessica McKay is an interior decorator and owner of Birdhouse Interior Design, and Christopher Van Buskirk bakes at a gourmet foods supermarket while in culinary school. Living in the Country Club neighborhood of Omaha, Nebraska they have backyard chickens (Salt, Pepa, and DJ Spinderella) and a large vegetable garden that Christopher uses to make delicious dishes. It only seemed appropriate for the couple to start COOP, a blog combining their interests and focusing on accessible style and sustainable living. They’ve been in their brick tudor home built in 1940 for three years now. They love original art and have been fortunate to receive some incredible vintage and antique hand-me-downs from their families. Jessica wanted to blend the old and new in an interesting way and highlight their collections as well as integrating and layering some Southwestern and Native-inspired textiles influenced by her New Mexico upbringing. The result is an inviting mix of styles. Many thanks to Jessica, and Dana Damewood for the photos! –Anne

Image above: Our guest bedroom is small so I wanted it to feel cozy. We painted it in Sherwin-Williams Urbane Bronze, added a contrasting bright bedding from Dwell Studio, and placed a vintage textile from ebay at the foot of the bed. I paired new black drum lampshades with vintage white lamps I found at a thrift store for bedside lighting.

Image above: We have a ton of books and thought it would be a welcoming sight for guests to walk right into our “library” along a front wall in our living room. I inherited the Kachina dolls from my grandfather after he passed and they are very special to me. I found the Persian runner on ebay.

Click for more inside Jessica and Christopher’s Omaha home!

Image above: The Eames-inspired dining room chairs were a flea market find which originally were used in a Nebraska school. The vintage wood pedestal table was found at a local antique shop. The Sputnik chandelier is from ebay. The paint color is Sherwin-Williams Powder Blue.

Image above: We moved our Bed, Bath, and Beyond floor model kitchen island with us from our last house for extra storage. The stools are vintage.

Image above: Our dog, Lisey, in our living room. The art is by Rey Cantil, Andrew Hershey, and Andrew Johnson. The couch was Christopher’s mother’s and I love the lines of it. It makes the rest of the room feel more put-together.

Image above: I use the dormer window in our bedroom for a small dressing area. I store shoes, bags and jewelry here. The wooden piece in front of the window stores necklaces and is by a local designer, Peter Cales. The chairs are vintage and recovered in a Southwestern Naugahyde fabric.

Image above: I found the wingback chair at an antique shop and had it reupholstered in a gray vinyl with a brass nailhead trim. The pouf is from Arteriors Home. The art is by Caolan O’Loughlin. I had the curtains made and the rug was a great find from Marshall’s.

Image above: We converted our attic into a master suite. I love the angles that it created and it is a little retreat from the rest of our house. The bedding is Dwell Studio, but the plaid blanket was my grandparents’. I made the headboard and also painted the vintage nightstands (that were free from a friend!).

Image above: We use an extra bedroom in our house for our office. The chair is a custom fabric and was given to me by my business partner. We use the mid-century dresser to store office supplies.

Image above: We love our Christina Renfer Vogel painting in our dining room. It took me a little while to find the perfect spot for it, but once we painted the walls blue, it found a home above the CB2 console. The lamps are from Jonathan Adler.

Image above: We painted the stairs leading to our bedroom in Sherwin-Williams Tricorn Black and Behr Red Tomato. The collage on the dining room wall is by Adrianne Watson.

1. What a great space! There’s a lot going on, but it all works together really well. The dining room and couch I really love, and are great examples of pairing different periods/styles. Thanks for sharing!

2. Katy says:

I love homes, like this one, that evolve organically and although filled with beautiful things don’t look too ‘styled’. Lovely and inspirational.

3. I just love this home! So much comfort and personality. I love the mix of colors and old and new, happy living!

4. Amber says:

Jessica, can you share any information about the shelf in your kitchen that houses your flour and proofing basket and the (similar?) shelves in your dressing room where your shoes live? Are they vintage finds or can I find them somewhere? Thanks. Your home is lovely!

5. What a gorgeous home! I especially love all of the light fixtures.
    Can I ask where you found the beautiful light fixture in the bedroom?

6. Kdekay says:

Love it! So much personality :)

7. So pretty, just love that chocolate brown paint color.

8. Shalin says:

Beautiful! Love how its all come together to be a warm, inviting and colorful home with character.

9. Giving props to my hometown’s ability in a beautiful, inviting way. Makes me want to wander around and peek at the eclectic finds in their home.

10. KMP Modern says:

I love the mix of vintage, new, designer and big box store-bought. There is such as great flow of textures, prints and warmth. I especially like the red stars and the bedroom sheets. Just beautiful!

11. courtney says:

I love it! I can see Jessicas personality in her home. She has such amazing style!

12. Love the combination of antique table and mod chairs!
    Your home is lovely!!

13. Molly says:

I love this home. The upstairs master suite & dormer/dressing room are my favorites. Great job!

14. Cordu says:

I love this place! Such a comfortable, inspiring, and happy home. Great work you two!

15. Mari, the bedroom light fixture is from Ikea. We did the larger version so that it would make more of a statement. Thanks!

16. Julie says:

Love the color of your living room. What is it? (PS It’s Newfield’s Julie). Come help me do me home!!!!!

17. Amber,

The dressing area shelves are from Target and I found the rolling cart through a vendor at the Las Vegas Market. But, I’ve seen similar ones on Ebay and Amazon. Sorry, I couldn’t be more helpful!

18. What a lovely home!! Can I ask where you got the rug in the office?

19. Kim from Glasgow says:

I have never commented on a Sneak Peek before but I just adore this interior! I especially like the painting in the kitchen with the spoon and fork :) I love how you have used so many colours but they have a soft edge so blend in really nicely!

20. Bobbi says:

Such a lovely home. I especially like the aqua dining room chairs paired with the dark wooden table.

21. jdanyelle says:

What a nice home. Really well done, but not too done. Looks very welcoming.

22. Alison says:

I really, really, really love this home. Such character and originality. Adore.

23. This is lovely. I have the same DwellStudio chinoiserie bedding and the DwellStudio peacock bedding in grey/blue! It’s great to see it used in a different setting and loving the layered look with the blankets. We too converted out attic and have lots of interesting sloping ceilings. You can check out how the bedding looks in my home here http://backonfestiveroad.blogspot.com/2013/03/chic-chinoiserie.html.

24. Jillian says:

Love the personality behind this home, particular the bedrooms and the dining room.

25. Claudine, the office rug is from Dash and Albert.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

26. Lauren says:

Best chicken names ever! Beautiful home!

27. heather says:

Oh wow, adore this look! You are so talented! Would you mind me asking where the pillows on your bed are from?

28. heather says:

oops i should clairfy–guest room bed pillows! :)

29. jess says:

I love it- eclectic, personal, bright, charming… I love the dolls and rug from Ebay and the painting and and and! Quite jealous of that great sweater too ;)

30. Preeti says:

Wow! such a beautiful place, loved the colours all over the space.

31. Susan Mills says:

I love this. Just the right amount of Southwest touches without going overboard – something so easy to do when you are longing for New Mexico! Thank you for this wonderful Sneak Peak.

I love the Kachinas.

32. Claire says:

So cool, I love all the vintage pieces & great color combos. Love!

33. Ann says:

Love it. Question: anyone know where she got her shades for the windows? I am looking for something similar but the ones from Lowe’s seem too bunch-y.

34. madlyn easley says:

Please tell us about the chandelier in your room -and yes,I also covet the sweater!Thank you for sharing your lovely home with us.It is a perfect balance of many beautiful things.

35. Simply stunning! Even if you’ve never met Jessica and Christopher, you immediately recognize their personal style through their home and these photographs. Only question is: when can I move in? :-)

36. This is a wonderful home you have! :)

37. Mary Irvin says:

So much fun seeing your beautiful home, and getting to know a little about you two. I will look forward to more! Seeing shades of Leslie and Roger, too! Fun!

38. Shannon says:

Love the interior decorator and designer sneak peeks on here. Great space!

39. The key to expansive, authentic, personal decor regardless of room size and location is ‘a good floor’. All you need is a solid, good quality, wooden floor. Tell me I’m wrong!

Nice to see the dark bedroom wall.

40. mslewis says:

I really love this house. I love the southwest touches that are authentic without being too precious. I love all the colors that go together but don’t clash and all the different styles of furniture. This is a lovely home. You are very talented. Congratulations.

41. Laura says:

I love this home! I love seeing a home that’s layered with great finds and has such personal style.

42. Kukana says:

I’ve just put my home on the market and am in the process of downsizing my life. I really love your storage ideas, your home is very pleasant and warm. I hope to achieve a similar feeling in my new home when it’s all said and done!

43. D says:

So very Omaha-and that’s not bad.

44. elizabeth says:

In the tenth picture from the top down, the blue/teal stripe curtains…. I’m in love love love with them!! Please tell me where you got the fabric??? or the manufacturer? or designer? I’d love to have a bit of it in my home!

45. Kate says:

I agree!!! I love those curtains. Can you dish a little more about them please?

46. Susan says:

Hi, I am a little late to the conversation but have been searching for the perfect gray and would like to know if you feel that the Urbane Bronze has a gray-ness to it or is it purely a deep brown… I am originally from Omaha and LOVE everything about your home!

47. Diana says:

My son loves the bedroom with the Urbane Bronze walls and wants to duplicate it. Some much character.

48. Naomi says:

I’m utterly inspired by your design choices-particularly when it comes to colors and textiles. There aren’t many things I can identify as being something I would think to pair together, here. Yet, the colors, patterns, and textiles are seamlessly in unison. Brilliant!