Living In: Leap Year

When it came time to write this week’s Living In, I went through a dozen movies in my head that complemented our St. Patrick’s Day focus. Waking Ned Devine, The Secret of Roan Inish and, my personal favorite, The Commitments. But as I dove into the roundup for The Commitments, I realized that it was perhaps a little on the bleak side for the upbeat celebration of Ireland we had in mind. So while that film (and its incredible soundtrack) remains one of my all-time favorites, I decided to go with one of Amy’s favorites, Leap Year. While the beginning of the film didn’t exactly win me over (I don’t like movies where all the female characters do is worry about finding a man or getting married), the gorgeous scenery (shot throughout Ireland) and irresistible fairy tale romance won me over in the end. I guess part of me is still a marshmallow on the inside. So today that mushy part is celebrating Leap Year and the beautiful countryside of Ireland. Sláintexo, grace

Image above: 1. Trench Coat, $129 | 2. Paul Smith Floral Shirt (similar to shown), $79 | 3. Live Moss, $18 | 4. CZ Studs, $73 | 5. Renault 4 Model, $50 | 6. Red Cardigan, $28 | 7. Louis Vuitton Suitcase, $1024 | 8. Red Penny Hair Dye, $8.99 | 9. Black Cat Rescue | 10. Christian Louboutin City 120 Platforms (Her shoes, now sold out. Similar here.) | 11. Gray Pencil Skirt, $89

The full post continues after the jump . . .

Image above: 1. Vintage Transferware (similar to shown), $50+ | 2. Ladder Back Chair, $195 | 3. Claddagh Ring, $210 | 4. Graham & Brown Wallpaper, $125 per roll | 5. Waterford Glass, $80 | 6. Cast Iron Coq Au Vin Pot, $280 | 7. Border Collie Rescue | 8. Iron Bed, $559+

Leap Year (Film Credits)

Production Design: Mark Geraghty
Art Direction: Colman Corish, Irene O’Brien, Anna Rackard, Brendan Rankin
Set Decoration: Johnny Byrne
Costume Design: Eimer Ni Mhaoldomhnaigh

1. Nailed it.
    I simply adore Amy Adams.

2. Elisabeth says:

Awesome post! Not my favorite movie, but I’m so excited to see the border collie rescue included there!

3. MB@YarnUiPhoneApp says:

Ok had to comment on that RED hair coloring kit…I think that color is so tricky to get right at home in the bathroom, it really calls for a pro. Besides, it gets brassy quickly under the sun. Not that I know as a brunette, but I’m a wannabee hair colorist since I do all my own coloring, plus touch ups. That aside, I do love Ireland…my favorite contemporary flick on the Emerald Isle? Once. That is a snapshot of Dublin if there ever was…and the heroine is married, so she definitely isn’t looking to get hitched! Still, it’s a romance of sorts. You need to see it once (or thrice in my case) to understand.

4. You nailed the feel of this film!

5. Holly says:

I’m so disappointed that you didn’t feature my favorite film, the Secret of Roan Inish! But this looks lovely.

The Playboys was another wonderful film set in Ireland.

6. Karen R. says:

I’ll admit it, I love Amy Adams and this film, and my son’s Irish name was inspired by it. Excellent job capturing it here!

7. jen says:

Yuck to the movie (it was awful!) but a wonderful one for a “living in” post. :) Love that iron bed!

1. Grace Bonney says:

i feel the same way ;)

8. Lauren says:

I didn’t love the storyline of this movie, but I agree that the scenery can’t be beat! It put Ireland near the top of my “places to visit” list!

9. Diana Pappas says:

I won’t lie, I definitely felt guilty while watching this movie on a plane over the Atlantic Ocean, but then that makes it the perfect plane movie! This collection truly does capture the look and feel of the film perfectly!

10. margarita says:

Oh I need to see this movie, by the way love the hair colour tint touch, fun!

11. Donna says:

Love Amy Adams, but The Matchmaker, with Janeane Garafolo so much better, if one must have a movie set in Ireland focused on the need for marriage.

12. Katie says:

If you’ve never watched “Hear My Song”, check it out. I want the bed with the dog curled up on it.

13. jen_cam says:

Not sure I’ll see the movie, I prefer “The Matchmaker” with Janeane Garofalo. An (Ireland) romantic comedy with sarcastic bite to it. :)

14. Amanda says:

This movie was so super cute.

15. Emily says:

I love that you included a rescue cat and dog…you have a heart of gold. Also, the addition of moss in your round-up was brilliant! Great post.

16. Andrea says:

Haven’t seen this one, but great post! Had to comment though because I ❤ The Commitments! Great movie!

17. Akaleistar says:

Such a cute movie!

18. Sara says:

I agree about Once, and I’d add The Wind That Shakes the Barley (Cillian Murphy) to great films set in Ireland. That one’s pretty sad, though.

19. Charlotte says:

Nice! My boyfriends family is from Northern Ireland and we were lucky enough to go and stay with them in their huge manor house in Armagh for Christmas a year or two ago. It was an absolutely amazing place, it felt like we’d gone back in time to the Victorian era. I haven’t actually seen this film, but now I think I’ll have to. Ireland can be very bleak and cold, but it definitely has an amazing charm an atmosphere.

20. diane zurbuchen says:

I must write and say that scene actually while drivilng down a small country road in Ireland here was a young woman in high heeels and a w onderful forties style suit on and a forties hairstlyle all dolled up red lipstick and everything. She was walking some distance to a small store to pick up some groceries I believe. I should have asked if she wanted a ride but didn’t. don’t know why I ldidn’t. It was so remarkable as there was no town around, middleof nowhere near the sea in dear old beloved county mayo sign me as an irish wannabe

21. Becca says:

Oh, I love Roan Inish and also The Commitments (the film as well as the book by Roddy Doyle, whose Snapper and The Van also have movie versions). One of my top favorite movies of all time is The Crying Game…yeah, maybe not so good for a “Living In” post!

22. Noëlle says:

♣ What beautiful picks, and I love the Commitments! I was actually just looking for the soundtrack to listen to today. Oh, and the border collie, so cute! Someday when I have a huge yard, I’m going to adopt one (if I haven’t taken on too many cats…). Sláinte! ♣

23. Dervla says:

You definitely nailed the look. Nice one. As an Irish person living in Ireland I have to say the movie itself was very cringeworthy. It included every “stage Irish” stereotype every dreamed of! Most of the geography was wrong and we really aren’t as backward as portrayed. I have forgiven Amy – shes too fabulous not to! As suggested above, I recommend “Once” – Dublin looks very beautiful. Also “Ondine” with Colin Farrell – Co. Cork looks beautiful. Sláinte and Happy St. Patricks Day :-)

24. Donna says:

The Quiet Man — a classic that deserves the designation.

25. Donna says:

Forget to add Circle of Friends–also wonderful.

26. Lilyfrost says:

Yes! to Roan Innish and Wind that Shakes the Barley!!!! (except that fingernail scene). My daughter sent me this site cause I’m always weeping at the Irish Music and draggin her to Irish films. Of course you all know that the band leader in the Committments is none other than Glen Hansard from the Frames and ONCE. Took him all that time but he made it.

27. Lisa says:

This is a good pick. I love this movie for the sarcastic banter- (I agree the plot is insipid)- and the design of the film. Surprisingly this is one that my boyfriend enjoyed watching with me. The scene when they pick vegetables in the kitchen garden and cook everything fresh is an inspiring set.
    A favorite Irish movie not yet mentioned is The Quiet Man with Maureen O’Hara and John Wayne. It is a simple film set in Ireland that touches on the nostalgia Irish Americans have for Ireland. Another recent film Irish film that has a nice calm feel is Ondine.

28. Emily Short says:

I agree with Lisa the Quiet Man is a truly great movie that was set, filmed and premiered in Ireland. John Wayne was my Dads favorite, remember watching this with him when I was a little girl.

29. Janie says:

Like other commenters, I love The Quiet Man but I also have a soft spot for The Matchmaker with Janeane Garofolo — cheesy but cute.

30. I actually love this movie – it’s cheesy, but great!

31. Hear My Song remains my favorite Irish movie of all time. I’m glad to see it mentioned. But also love Commitments (and all Roddy Doyle films), Roan Inish, Once, Ondine….well, if you put Ireland in it, I will likely watch it. I made it through Leap Year because the scenery and interiors made me yearn, yearn, yearn to return to Ireland. Though they totally weren’t in the places they said they were which seemed odd. Do they think movie goers have never gone to Ireland? I think you nailed the gorgeous glowing ambience of the movie!

32. I just thought of one more Irish movie with gorgeous rich color, interiors and settings: A Shine of Rainbows. The title is a little goofy, but the film is moving, though bittersweet. Still, I’d live in it in a minute. AND it’s on Netflix instant watch.

33. Brooke says:

the best thing about that movie : Matthew Goode. Another great Irish flick – Once – little known, but an awesome Indie that deserves more play.

34. jen_cam says:

I agree with all the other commenters who mentioned The Matchmaker, The Quiet Man, Once, and Ondine. Also all wonderful Irish flicks. I would include Far and Away but technically that only begins in Ireland and finishes in America. :)

35. Jenni says:

I felt the same way about the movie! Great post! I love the nod to blk cats!

36. Lourdes says:

What Jen_cam said, All great movies!!!

37. Amy says:

Ireland is gorgeous, as is Amy Adams, so it’s a win in my opinion, hahaha!

38. Kate says:

I have to say, I’ve never heard of this movie and while it’s certainly not getting rave reviews here for the storyline, I think I’ll have to see it for two reason: 1) I am a sucker for Irish scenery, and 2) I am a Leap Year baby!

Have to second “Ondine” and “Matchmaker” and “Roan Inish” and also “Playboys.”

39. Shruti says:

I wish “The Secret of Kells” had been chosen! It’s my favourite movie! The animation is breathtaking, the music is so lovely, the story is enchanting!! Please consider it for a future “Living In”…

40. Aislinn says:

I really hate to be one of “those” people, but ‘Sláinte’ means health. The Irish for goodbye is ‘Slán’.
    Great post though! The second set of pictures reminds me so much of my grandparents house. They even had a black and white collie! I’m getting a bit nostalgic.

1. Grace Bonney says:

i didn’t mean it as goodbye, i meant it as a toast (i often end posts with something like “here’s to….!”) ;)

41. eva says:

don’t know the movie, but loooove the moss. I always want to take some with me while being in a forest, but never seem to get to it. Awesome that you put some in here!

42. Laura-Beth says:

I can’t believe no one mentioned Waking Ned Devine. So far the only one I missed is Ondine which I’ll remedy soon. Waking is a perfect movie. Although I am fond of The Matchmaker. I have been blessed by both a visit to the lovely, lovely island and 15 years with the sweetest border collie.

43. erik says:

i absolutely love “leap year” ! ! ! it”s such an exquisitely done film ! ! ! i’ve seen it about 15 times . . . it’s so sweet and romantic it makes me cry every time ! ! !