In the Kitchen With: Rachel Khoo’s Ginger and Orange Tea Cake

This week’s recipe for a ginger and orange spiced teacake, by food creative and cookbook author Rachel Khoo, is perfect for those of you who live in places where winter is lingering longer than usual.  It is a fancy version of the American poundcake, with the addition of ginger and orange zest which provides a nice delicate spice.  The cake keeps well, if you have any left over.  Just be sure to wrap it in foil before you take it over to your friend’s place to have a little afternoon chat over a pot of tea.  -Kristina

*You can check out our French dinner party inspired by Rachel’s book here!

About Rachel: Rachel Khoo is a trained pastry chef with a degree from Le Cordon Bleu.  After finishing her pastry degree, she put her skills to excellent use at the delightful Paris culinary bookstore and tea salon, La Cocotte. Following the success of her edible endeavours at La Cocotte, Rachel now works on culinary projects throughout the world. Her role as an international food creative has spanned six-course dinners and workshops in places as far-flung as London, Paris, Berlin, Milan, Melbourne, Sydney and Buenos Aires.  Her books include Barres à céréales, Granola et Muesli faites maison and Pâtes à tartiner published by Marabout, and the wonderful book we featured here in our dinner party a few weeks ago, The Little Paris Kitchen. It is her first book in English, and followed her first cooking show “The little Paris kitchen” (BBC 2).  She is currently working on her fourth book to be published by Michael Joseph in Autumn 2013.

See Rachel’s recipe after the jump.

Ginger and orange spiced teacake
adapted from the Little Paris Kitchen

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 35-40 minutes

• 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
  • 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 cup candied ginger, finely minced
  • zest of one orange
  • 1 cup butter, melted and cooled

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter and flour a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Separate the eggs. In a bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks with half of the sugar. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and the other half of the sugar until thick and pale in color.
  2. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, zest, spices, candied ginger and baking powder together.
  3. Fold the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture (it will have a sandy texture), then pour in the melted and cooled butter, stirring gently until the butter is just incorporated into the mix. Finally, carefully fold in the egg whites.
  4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then bake for 35-40 minutes or until the point of a knife comes out clean when inserted in the center.

The cake is best eaten the same day, but will keep in an airtight container for a day or two.

Note: If you work in metrics, the recipe is easy to remember with the basic ingredients being: 4 eggs, 250g of each flour, sugar, butter, plus a teaspoon of baking powder. Simply add the spices/zest of your liking.

Why Rachel loves this recipe

I love having my friends round for tea even though it’s a bit of a squeeze in my Parisian apartment. There’s no better way to while away a Sunday afternoon then with some friends over a good cup of tea and a delicious homemade cake. This cake is a classic take on the French Quartre-quarts, the American equivalent of a pound cake.  Hardly complicated and can be whipped up and on the coffee table in less than an hour. Feel free to adjust or replace the ginger with cinnamon or other ground spices if preferred.

(Portrait by Daniel Lucchesi)

1. Malina says:

I love The little Paris Kitchen and this cake might really be the right thing for this weird winter wonderland I live in right now. Anything with fruits, or their taste, in is welcome right now.

2. Cate says:

I love Rachel Khoo! This looks delicious.

3. Celina says:

I looove pound cake and I loove ginger and spices!!! Just one question. how / where/ what? candied ginger??? Help Pleaseeee. I live in lima peru south america this might be tricky.

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi celina

you can make your own candied ginger if you can’t find it pre-made. it’s really easy- all you need is ginger and sugar basically ;)

grace

4. Wendy says:

I agree with Malina and Cate. I absolutely love Rachel Khoo and her recipes. I will definitely try this one.

5. Flor de Maria says:

Celina: I am from Lima as well–just sent a note to a friend (who is an excellent baker and lives in Lima ) about possible sources for candied ginger if you don’t feel like making it yourself

6. A says:

Great recipe. Re: making candied ginger.. A nice side benefit is the jar of ginger syrup that is also produced, good for cocktails, over ice cream or to make a carafe of ginger ale.

7. Julie says:

I just tried this recipe (but I added the orange’s juice) and it’s fabulous. Thank you!

8. Jill says:

MMMM! …with capital letters!

9. Ximena says:

I am pretty new at baking and I tried this out last night, but after 40 minutes, it was still uncooked. It ended up taking me almost 1 1/2 hours for it to be ready. @Julie did it also take you this long?

10. What a wonderful recipe! Candied ginger and orange seem a delightful combination!
    Can’t wait to try my hand at this recipe and enjoy with some tea!

11. Sammy says:

I have this cake baking in the oven right now, and like Ximena above, I’ve found that the recommended baking time of 40 minutes hasn’t been enough. So far I’m at about 50 minutes, and testing the middle with a toothpick still yields an uncooked center.

12. Beatriz says:

Making the cake now, but wanted to point out a small difference in the conversions. When I converted 1 1/2 cups sugar into grams (because I was impatient and didn’t read to the bottom of the recipe, my fault), I got 337.5 g, which is considerably more than the 250g mentioned below. I used 225g for 1 cup and 112.5g for 1/2 cup, as found online. This might make a noticeable difference in sweetness and moistness, not sure. Just something to be aware of.

13. Kristina says:

Hi @Ximena and @Sammy –

I experienced a similar situation when baking this cake, and I baked it twice. I would recommend covering it with foil to keep it from overbrowning at a certain point, and bake it as long as necessary– for me it took about an hour or a little more, which is consistent in my experience with this volume of pound cake. When making the cake for this post, however, Rachel helped me troubleshoot extensively, and made the cake four times, over the course of the week that I was working on it, and it came out for her according to her instructions, so I chalked up the difference in cooking time to my oven.

Dear @Beatriz,

I understand your concerns! I use Gourmet Sleuth Conversion calculator because I am American (measures even in the imperial system vary slightly between countries!), and a cup of sugar is 200g. I convert a cup of flour at 125g (if you pack it in it will weigh much more). 1 cup is 227g (1 tablespoon = 14g). I do believe, however, that when Rachel suggested an easy conversion, she was recommending it both for its proportions and ease of remembering– as the cake in its origin used equal portions of ingredients. Also, volume of cup measures sold in stores can vary as much as 20 per cent. None of this matters for a cake like a pound cake, but if you prefer a scale, here is a link that I find immensely helpful for converting: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cooking-conversions/cooking-conversions-calculator.aspx

If you have more questions, please do not hesitate to check in again and we’ll try to help!

-Kristina

14. Rachel Khoo says:

Thanks to everyone for your lovely comments and to @Kristina for answering the queries so well!

Re: candied ginger I buy mine at the Chinese supermarket where they always seem to have a good supply.

– Rachel

15. Dina says:

Oh must it be candied ginger? :( I could make some but I am in a mode of transition (moving around) & I can’t venture into it now. How about fresh ginger? Grated, just a tiny bit? What do you think?